can a Amcrest NV2108-HS 8CH NVR use SSD hard drives

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
seanmi96

can a Amcrest NV2108-HS 8CH NVR use SSD hard drives

Post by seanmi96 »

Hi,

I am trying to find out some information regarding this NVR Amcrest NV2108-HS 8CH NVR, and if it can use SSD hard drives instead mechanical HDD? I would rather use SSD's. I am trying to find this out before making a purchase on this NVR.

Thanks

Sean D. Arning
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: can a Amcrest NV2108-HS 8CH NVR use SSD hard drives

Post by Revo2Maxx »

First Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

Interesting first Post?

I had wrote a good long post a couple of times and have thought about not posting such.. I then write something new that again is long and in truth most wouldn't care to read.. So I will keep this Short...

In MY MIND <----- SSD isn't worth using in a Consumer grade DVR/NVR system. The Consumer grade Recorders are designed with HDD as storage type and in some cases are not even held to the Standards of Security Storage... If someone was going to buy a system for SSD then I would guess one would have to pay for a Enterprise Grade Recorder using Enterprise Grade SSD that can cost over a Grand for 2tb for just the SSD...

Have I used a SSD in a Recorder I did seeing it was only drive I had while I was waiting for a HDD to get here last year because my HDD died after 38k hours of use.. This is a different HDD from the one that lived 40k hours anyway There was no benefit from using the SSD and infact using it in one of my other computers now as a BOOT drive almost feels like it has lost some of its pep it once had.. But that could be the machine it is installed in and trying to compare it to another machine with different type of SSD I have to keep reminding myself not all SSD are equal...

The funny thing is I have I guess one day I need to really count them but I have at least 10 recorders and out of all my Recorders only 1 of them even has a SSD slot really designed for 2.5" HDD and that is my Amcrest 960h Recorder... I mean sure you could get a 3.5 to 2.5 mount kit but I don't even know of any new recorders that has 2.5 mounts in resent years...
Be Safe.
seanmi96

Post by seanmi96 »

Revo,

Thanks for the reply
nmsr1196

Post by nmsr1196 »

In the data center and networking field, admins that I have had a conversation with worry about the constant writes to a SSD versus a standard drive (non-SSD). The failure rate is higher. And according to them, if the SSD has constant writes to it, over time it will fail more so than a standard drive.
Evolution2001

Post by Evolution2001 »

nmsr1196 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:55 am ...if the SSD has constant writes to it, over time it will fail more so than a standard drive.
What he said.
SSDs won't provide any tangible benefit over a HDD. In fact, due to the read/write cycles required for NVRs, that's exactly why you don't want to use an SSD. Or a run-of-mill HDD for that matter. Same reason you shouldn't run basic HDDs in a RAID configuration. The (few remaining) HDD manufacturers use special logic baked into the HDD controller for specific purposes. Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba make various classes of HDDs: Basic use, "Gaming/Performance", RAID, Enterprise, and NVR-use. For all intents and purposes, there is no use-case for SSD's to be used in NVRs. Primarily, the NAND chips don't have as many read/write cycles as traditional magnetic media used in HDDs.

If you're looking for NVR storage, stick with NVR-class HDDs.
Western Digital "Purple"
Segate SkyHawk
Toshiba S300 up to 4TB. Or the S300 Pro for capacities from 6TB - 10TB

Additionally, HDDs are still enjoy a significant cost-per-TB advantage.