Cameras Not Working on NV4116E-HS

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
securegb

Cameras Not Working on NV4116E-HS

Post by securegb »

Hi. We had 11 cameras on NV4116E-HS when we started. It is a 16-camera NVR. 8 cameras were plugged directly into the ethernet ports on the back of the NVR, and three were through an Amcrest 9-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged PoE Switch.

Over time the eight that are plugged directly into the NVR have disappeared. They do not show anything on the system. Blank screen. A manual scan/search for the cameras does not come up with anything.

However, three cameras that are plugged into Amcrest 9-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged PoE Switch are recognized by the NVR.

And when I plug one of the original 8 into the Switch, it is recognized by the NVR.

I'm kind of baffled at this point.

Any ideas on why NVR would recognized cameras on the Switch, but not plugged directly into the NVR?

Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Cameras Not Working on NV4116E-HS

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

You will want to double check your NVR settings. It sounds like that there was a setup outside of the network and then moved over to the NVR..

NVR will work in 2 ways. One over your normal IP address for your local Network. Second over the IP address of the POE NVR.. Normally when someone connects a camera to the NVR it will setup IP to the NETWORKS switch.. The Switch and your normal Network IP can't be on the same range..

POE NVR's normally come setup for 10.1.1.1 at the Switch and starts normally handing out IPs around 10.1.1.65 and or can start at 10.1.1.128 depending on where you connected the cameras first.. By design the Cameras work off admin admin. So if you changed the IP and or password to your local password then that info needs to change in the NVR as well..

Looking at the NVRs GUI main menu, camera are you saying that the area below is only showing the 4 cameras you have connected to your normal network?

In theory only other issue that can be wrong is the Power supply for the NVR is bad! The NVR really only needs 12v to work. In older systems I have one from many years ago. They had some that had 2 power supplies. 1 with 12v and other with 48v. If you only connected the 12v you could access the NVR and do all the things over the local but the ports on the back wouldn't power any cameras.. One thing I did notice about that was you could connect normal cameras to the ports powered by their own power. Maybe the power supply is going bad and don't have the current to make your cameras power on if they are not listed in the list below..

If they are listed. Just have a Red dot. I would make sure that you 1 try admin admin for user and pass or try your real user and pass by clicking the pencil next to the effected cameras in the list.. They would say PORT1, PORT2 and so on... Also understand any outside cameras (meaning on your own network) can't be connected to any of the ports the connected cameras are on as they will force out..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
securegb

Post by securegb »

Hi!

At one point we did change a password to have remote access via the App. Do you think that has anything to do with this?

You said, “So if you changed the IP and or password to your local password then that info needs to change in the NVR as well..” I almost understand. Can you explain in a little more detail?

“Looking at the NVRs GUI main menu, camera are you saying that the area below is only showing the 4 cameras you have connected to your normal network?” Yes. Only those on network. None in the 8 ports on the NVR. And when I move a cable from the NVR to the Switch attached, the camera is found!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok, So here is what can happen. When you log in to your NVR you setup a Password, Then on the out side of the NVR normal Switch (Port 1-8) if you have that same password setup.. Like lets say this. Your NVR password is Amcrest123Pas$ and you setup your cameras the same that are on ports 9-16. When you connect your POE camera to port 1-8 that will be auto setup for admin admin by default. If you want to change that so you can access your cameras over WebUI using Virtual Host so you don't have to remove connect to switch make adjustment and move back to NVR. All can be done from NVR IP..

So then next issue is Connected 1-8 will have IP like 10.1.1.xxx and your home IP would be something like 192.168.x.xxx

So then the issue comes down to this. If you take your Camera from your NVR and connect to your Network Switch (same network switch your normal port for the nvr is connected) and your camera connects then your Switch IP address is not right.

If you look at the 2 pictures below you will see my Network is 10.0.0.xxx and my NVR's Switch IP is as I said above 10.1.1.xxx and all my cameras when connected to PORTS on back of NVR will not load if it was not right camera to that port without changing the Password to the right one. However lets say I take camera from port 1 and put on port 4 it might keep same IP (doubt it) however because the password isn't normal admin I will have to click the Pencil and change to the right password for the camera.. (Changing password is important if you want to use cameras WebUI) and for Security reasons. To access the camera when it is connected to your NVR ( if you have your Virtual Host) turned on clicking the e when your connected via the NVR's WebUI. (See Picture below)
Screenshot (1823).png
Screenshot (1823).png (208.15 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Screenshot (1824).png
Screenshot (1824).png (89.6 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Be Safe
securegb

Post by securegb »

Thank you.
I tested whether there was any power coming out of the POE ports on the NVR.
There is no power!
Any idea how that can happen?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well a 4116E-HS has a 48v power supply that is somewhat different the a 12v one. The only issue that I can think of as I said in my first post it might be that your power supply is no longer working to spec.

Please note that testing a 48v power supply isn't going to be very helpful without a load.

So you would need to setup a testing rig where you can test the voltage at the power supply incoming to the NVR. This is Risky and should be done by a Qualified Tech. However if you have the tools and able then taking your lid off find the power input and test the voltage. It needs to be 48v with load anything under 48v the NVR's power supply will need to be changed. If the Power supply shows 48v at the Power in on load then there is an issue with the POE switch

Please note that a POE NVR or Switch won't power until there is a Feedback from the Camera or other POE device that is asking for the NVR to power on. Taking a Normal non POE camera you can plug in to the port and won't damage the camera as the NVR will not provide power..

So to test a POE Switch or POE NVR for power at the Switch you would need to have a POE camera plugged in and testing power at the cameras Power Board. Again that can be very Risky and shouldn't be tackled unless you know what your working with. Know what wires in the Camera are for POWER OVER POE and what or where to test on the power board for the camera..

Power Supplies can go bad. Normally it will be a Cap that is fried again someone knowing what and how could test and repeal and replace to make you power supply work as expected...

Yes a 48v power supply can go bad and supply enough power to power only the NVR I have had it happen to me before with my older Amcrest 4108E NVR..
Be Safe