Camera settings - where are they stored?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jakthree

Camera settings - where are they stored?

Post by jakthree »

Hi,
I have a NV4108E-HS purchased direct from Amcrest. I also have eight used IP4M-1026E cameras. I have reset all cameras to factory defaults by pressing/holding the internal reset button. The cameras are PoE but while doing the factory reset, I powered the camera by plugging a 12vdc adapter into the camera's coaxial power connector. I also connected the camera's ethernet to my non-PoE LAN router. I browsed to the camera's webpage and changed the default password, disabled the Logo Overlay, changed the Channel Title and changed the TCP/IP Host Name.
I understand that this setting are changed and saved in the camera.
I connected the NV4108E-HS (NVR) mouse and a HDMI monitor. I power up the NVR and got is setup.
I then closed the browser, disconnected the camera's power from 12vdc and disconnect ethernet cable from my router. I then plugged the camera into the PoE port on the NVR. The NVR automatically discovered the camera but the status was red. I edited the discovered camera's username and password to match the password I assigned above. The status turned green and I could see live camera video.

I then went to Camera-Encode Mode-Channel 1-Sub Stream-Frame Rate and changed the Frame Rate to 12 and saved.

My question is, when a camera setting (such as the above Frame Rate) is changed via the NVR console (or the NVR's webpage), is the setting changed/saved/stored in the camera or is this setting only changed/saved/stored in the NVR?

Thank you,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Camera settings - where are they stored?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the Forum

The changes are made in the Camera and is carried over to the NVR.. Anything you change in NVR is moved over to the Camera..

Keep in mind that some cameras will not make this change if they are not same type Camera.. Like my Hikvision Cameras when I make changes to the camera and connect to my POE NVR the NVR and camera don't even talk about the changes I made.. Infact if I have my Hikvisioin cameras setup to a Static IP that is out side the Range of my Amcrest NVR the NVR don't even know the camera is there.. However do that with any of my Amcrest cameras it will pull the camera in and even give a IP in the range of the POE setup...

Any changes in the NVR is directly talking with the Info of the camera.. That is why some of my cameras that are Not Amcrest when I try and setup something it says not able to get camera setup or some other message that is because it isn't Related to the Amcrest Line of Cameras like my Hik, or Samsung or something outside Amcrest and without I just keep it to record at what ever it loads at and hope I need no changes to that camera lol..

Now there are some NVR's out there that might have more Hardware related functions like the AI NVR's but outside of that the Cameras hold the Keys..
Be Safe.
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

Revo2Maxx,
Thank you for your quick reply. I understand better that changing a camera setting with the NVR does change the setting in the camera. Currently all my cameras are Amcrest IP4M-1026E-28MM. I am replacing a Zmodo NVR because their 1080P sPoE cameras are proprietary and very grainy at night. The IP4M are much better but they can't be attached to the Zmodo NVR due PoE voltage differences. Basically I'm tired of that NVR because it is not ONVIF compatible.
Thank you again,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Understand about Zmodo, I do have 2 of the bodies left over from some I had years ago. The IR burnt out within a year and quality wasn't greatest so I replaced the camera with better one that was indoor by design and now I can use outdoors so it was good for something :) Don't use the IR now but replaced all the IR leds for ones that has lasted longer then a year because the camera was in the backyard as fill in camera for one of my PTZ cameras and used the IR from it for last 2 years before moving the camera to area with light so now use camera in color at night..

Not sure if you have updated the POE NVR to new FW for me my 4108E isn't an HS and had its last FW update in 2018 but my 2116-HS I did update the FW to the 2020 FW and now wish I hadn't I just hope it gets a NEW FW update soon to cure some of the things I don't like missing from the UPDATE and one of the things that I feel is a Risk but I guess it isn't thought of as a High Risk for fast pace Update..

However if you did update to the new FW be sure if you make another Admin account for someone that you remove the Maintain from the abilities they have or your NVR can be shut down by them remotely
Be Safe.
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

I have changed the default admin account password. I will consider making another admin account. I did not know they could access the NVR thru the Maintain but that makes sense. The NV4108E-HS came with V4.000.AC000 05/21/2020 firmware. Maybe you can help with this problem or I can post a new topic/question.
Problem 1.
I have setup the NVR to send an email message to my gmail account and I receive an email message but the message does not have an attached picture/snapshot. I followed the instructions I found here but still no attached picture. https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... lerts-NVR-
Did you have email with attachment(s) working?

Problem 2.
I also receive notifications on my Amcrest View Pro android app but when I open the alert there are no pictures/snapshots shown under the picture (center icon that looks like mountains with a sun). However there is a one minute clip that plays under the video icon (left icon that looks like a splice of movie film). The problem with the clip is the detected motion is not shown until 30 seconds into the clip. The clip is no problem when connected to wifi. But when connected to data plan (LTE/4G) then the first 30 seconds uses data up on my limited data plan.
Why don't the snapshots show up under the center icon?
Can the pre-record time be changed on the video playback?

Before I bought the NV4108E-HS direct from Amcrest, I bought a NV2104 and a 9-port PoE switch off eBay for cheap. (less than $50 for both). I had a 1TB drive laying around. I wanted to play with Amcrest as cheap as I could before buying an 8-channel NVR. I got the IP4M-1026E cameras working with NV2104. I setup the email and MD in the NVR and I receive emails with attachments. I did not setup email or MD in the cameras. So, I'm not sure if it is the NVR or the camera(s) themselves that are sending the message, but I the message subject is the subject I setup in the NVR. I thought since it was all working in the 2104 that it should also work in their latest product, but I have not gotten email with attachment to work in the 4108 yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes Here is some info you will want to check even though it seems not a needed thing seeing the NVR no longer can view Snapshots don't know why lol but it don't have that options in the new FW...

So Right click, Main Menu, then at the Bottom click on Storage, then on the LEft click on Record, then make sure all your Snapshots are Enable... Then go to Schedule and then click on Snapshot. Then in Channel drop down PICK ALL Change out Regular AKA Remove it for all days of the week and add in MD only Remember to pick all so you don't have to do 1 day at a TIme... Then save... Right Click to go back to Menu click on Alarm then click on Video Detection. Then you will want to click on Picture Storage, Pick 3, then save, then bottom click on Copy and choose all then save and double check that they are all setup for Picture storage...

Fastest way to get anything is P2P Push on your Cell.. Getting an email isn't 100% and can loose email have delays or just not as safe as it is in your Cell Push.. Most times I get a Notice before the event is even over and I get to see the action not a empty picture of the area without what ever set off the alert when it would go though email...
Be Safe.
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

I will try your suggestions and advise results. I know that the cameras themselves can be setup to detect motion and send a email with attachment. My cameras are connected to the PoE ports of the NV4108E. We talked that the NVR changes the settings in the camera. When it comes to motion detection and message sending, does the NVR do to motion detection or does the camera?
Which device actually does the MD work and message sending?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

In a NVR or DVR that is the task of the Recorder. So while your Camera is where the NVR is getting the info and stores very little info about the Camera it self it does take on the task of Email and things like that..

Here is something to think about.. POE NVR that you connect POE cameras to is kind of like a DVR in the since that the cameras are behind the Recorder it self. Where a Non POE NVR or say a 16ch NVR that only has 8ch POE the camera on the NETWORK side of the NVR can double duty the task of Email or FTP and such However anything on the POE port of the NVR has no access to the Network side of the NVR only POE side. In some cases that isn't 100% but not much can be done outside camera config..

So in the case of the number you said your NVR is like one of mine.. The NV4108E doesn't have the Virtual Host feature so no need to worry about that what this means is that your NVR if left Factory setting will Provide 8ch POE ports on the back that start with 10.0.1.65 for ch1 and your network side might be like in my case 10.0.0.2-254 so everything on my Network side or your network side can't talk with your Cameras connected to your NVR's POE side without a Cross over cable or connecting a laptop to the POE side of the NVR..

So with that any data that you put in the camera before you move to the back side of the NVR outside from IP that data will move into the data for the NVR for that channel. Again setting a Camera to a Static IP will change that IP when you connect it to the POE port of the NVR to Reflect the NVR Number scheme..

Keep in mind that 8 ch POE you don't have to only connect 8POE cameras you can have a Wifi camera or normal IP camera that you can bring in from the Network side of the NVR as long as you have the NVR connected to a Network.. However keep in mind that if you put that Wifi camera on ch 5 seeing you only had 4 POE cameras with your NVR when you go to plug in another POE camera on the back if you add to ch 5 it will warn you that ch5 is already used do you want to force it out the option I do is change the cable to ch 6 to keep my camera setup intact..

So now lets say that your Camera system you have been running a while before your NVR and you had 4 POE cameras working on a POE Switch. They were sending Email, and storing data to an NAS or FTP server.. Once you connect the cameras to your POE port of the NVR the functions will stop because they have no access to the outside world now. But say you had a Wifi and a normal IP camera also connected when you connect them because they are still on the network side of the NVR the Push, or Email, or FTP, NAS or what ever you have working from the camera will still function because it is still connected on Network side..
Be Safe.
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:02 pm So Right click, Main Menu, then at the Bottom click on Storage, then on the LEft click on Record, then make sure all your Snapshots are Enable... Then go to Schedule and then click on Snapshot. Then in Channel drop down PICK ALL Change out Regular AKA Remove it for all days of the week and add in MD only Remember to pick all so you don't have to do 1 day at a TIme... Then save... Right Click to go back to Menu click on Alarm then click on Video Detection. Then you will want to click on Picture Storage, Pick 3, then save, then bottom click on Copy and choose all then save and double check that they are all setup for Picture storage...
Alarm-Video Detection-Motion Detect...
I only want motion detect for channel right now. I have set Picture Storage and Snapshot=3 on all channels but Send Email is checked for only channel 1.
I have these set for all channels.
Anti-Dither: 5
Post-Record: 10
What do you have them set to?

Do I have to cycle power on the NVR to getting settings to take effect?
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

I have applied your suggested changes. I still get email but with no attachment. I have decided to turn off Send Email because 1, the Amcrest View Pro (AVP) app notifies me and 2, if there is not email attachment then email is just a waist of data on my limited data plan.

Before applying the changes, I had Alarm-Video Detection-Motion Detect set with both Regular (green) and Motion Detect (yellow). In AVP app, when I opened Push Notifications-Event List and selected one of the events. the center icon is selected by default. The blue dot will travel from left to right but no pictures will show.
AVP-MD-Reg-MD.jpg
AVP-MD-Reg-MD.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
After I removed Regular (green) and left only MD, the center icon shows 'No Recording'
AVP-MD-MD-only.jpg
AVP-MD-MD-only.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Something in the NVR is still not right. I have tried changing setting using the NVR console, browsing to the NVR webpage using Internet Explorer and connecting to the NVR using Windows Amcrest Surveillance Pro. I can't find anyway to view the snapshots.

I should mention that the NVR is connected direct to my LAN router, which is connected direct to my provider's fiber-optic modem. I have no bandwidth problems. Also the NVR is setup DHCP (WAN side) and does not have a static IP, but my DHCP server has a reservation that gives the NVR the same IP address each time the NVR powers up.

What do these setting control? How are they different?
NVR-console-Camera-Encode-Snapshot.jpg
NVR-console-Camera-Encode-Snapshot.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Thank you,