camera not connecting

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jlohrmann2

camera not connecting

Post by jlohrmann2 »

So how does a Cat 6 cable pass a continuity test, have power and light the IRs on the camera at night but still not connect to the NVR? Camera is good, works when connected to another port. I would think bad cable but it is passing the tests and supplying power. ????
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: camera not connecting

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you the problem you are having might be a Port Specific issue and maybe not camera or cable issue. This could be a damaged port caused by static or lightning or many other factors. If the camera works on a different port and no other ports are open for the new camera then may need a POE switch and setup the camera to work on your normal network range rather then a POE port of the NVR. I mean all of Amcrest NVRs will work with IP cameras on both POE and Standard network ports. Outside of that if the NVR is under warranty and know for sure that it is the cause then I would request a RMA for replacement. If out of warranty and live in the USA there are people that could make the repair if your NVR.

Don't know what model you are working with but i personally have fixed my fair share of NVRs. Some port level others all ports and different solution for different damages.

What camera and what NVR are you working with?
Be Safe.
jlohrmann2

Post by jlohrmann2 »

Brand new IP8M-T2599 and brand new NV4416-AI
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so at first thought it could be an issue with the NVR, However with the model you said you own there is no POE on that NVR so what POE switch are you using to power your camera?

From your last reply this kind of now sounds like it is an issue with the Communication part of that dead port. Seeing from your first post you stated that you could connect to another port and it would work. So on a POE there is 4 of the 8 wires that are being used. They are 2 for power and 2 for communication. Way to know for sure is using a different camera and connect to that port. It don't even have to be a POE camera just a normal IP camera connected to that port that has power from 12v power supply if the port is for sure bad then camera would power up but no ability to find Ip address or connect to the camera.

I would double check that your cable is in fact true copper wire and not CCA. If it is CCA it will be more then happy to wreck havoc on your cameras or networking gear..

Also what type of Cable testing hardware are you using? If just the normal static type that goes down the line of LEDS and flash the ones that are connected. It might be that there is a bad connecter and when you are doing the test it is making connection yet when the cable is connected to the camera it is just moved enough that it is no longer connected.

If higher end testing unit that has LED/LCD screen some of them can tell you what side is bad or if there is an issue in the middle type info along with many different things even testing analog cameras.. Anyway there are many different things that could be wrong. Knowing what NVR I can say that isn't the issue no POE, seeing the camera works in different port that leaves Switch and or Cable as the offending hardware..
Be Safe.
jlohrmann2

Post by jlohrmann2 »

Well, the nvr is doing a fine job of powering the other 8 cameras. So I’ll attribute that to Amcrest’s iffy documentation.
It’s copper CAT6.
The Micro Connecter connectors have been a royal pain so I’ll look into that.
Higher end LED screen testers sound like a good idea but they don’t seem reasonably priced.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah there are some even more costly then the ones that are a couple hundred dollars. They do loads more testing and would really be something people use in a Low Voltage or CCTV installation business.

So now I am confused. So it is a 4416E-AI NVR then. With 16port POE on the back? If it is that then it could be an issue with the NVR and the NVR would need to be repaired. The offending part is most likely on the bottom of the PCB in side and won't show any signs of being damaged in most cases. If there is 8 ports that work like 1-8 and the back 8 like 9-16 then repair. Now that don't mean you couldn't still use the NVR with all 16ch. Just only 8 of them will be able to power a camera.

From what I gather from all your post. My guess is something like in the picture below. Keep in mind if it is any of the combo other then a whole block of issues. I say Black being 1-4, 5-8 and so on. Now if the Checks are not in right area but again in a whole block of the 4 the I would look at the Ethernet Transformers. however if it is different kind of issue with 1,3,4 working but 2 in that block isn't then issue might be at the front of the PCB area and not the Ethernet Transformers. To be honest it would be hard to know for sure where the issue is without testing the unit..
Screenshot (1651).png
Screenshot (1651).png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 125 times
Be Safe.