Battery Backup Sizing

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
MarkinGA

Battery Backup Sizing

Post by MarkinGA »

I live in an area where the power can frequently go out. On a couple of occasions bad storms happened in our area with trees down etc but unfortunately the power went out and my cameras didn't capture anything. Companies like APC want you to provide a total wattage rating for the system being powered. So, I am looking for recommendations and information on wattage used for an NV4108E-HS system with 8 cameras. If I can get some sort of idea what wattage the NVR plus 8 cameras uses then I can ballpark the size UPS to buy. I'm not interested in hours of back up time, maybe just an hour or two. Thanks in advance!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Battery Backup Sizing

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is very hard to say what would be best for your own needs.. Personally my Pure Sinewave USP can last upto 2 hrs of run time with what I have connected to it. However the system is Connected to a Back up Gen Set so it never really has to see that much use these days and only gets about 30 to 45 seconds of use while my Auto Transfer and Genset starts up then switches back over to normal power...

So then the question comes down to what someone wants to spend. Personally I would buy the Pure Sinewave 1500Va or better. Meaning there are some companies out there that do have 2.5 and 3.0kVa systems that is Rack Mountable like mine. When I bought mine I wanted the ability to be rack mounted however The Recorders I use these days are no longer Rack Mountable and wish my NVR was seeing it is the right width just don't have the ears..
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

@MarkinGA
Your NVR has a 48v DC 2A power supply.  So the maximum watts required would be less than 96W.  For more details, google NV4108E-HS Technical Specifications.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

jack7 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:52 pm @MarkinGA
Your NVR has a 48v DC 2A power supply.  So the maximum watts required would be less than 96W.  For more details, google NV4108E-HS Technical Specifications.
This data is incomplete. The info you want to deal with is the AC voltage of the Input of the Power supply and not the Voltage supplied by the power supply..

So depending on again what type of power your using the power supply is 100-240v ac and the input current is 1.5amp max. So the numbers would be based off your input voltage and the current needed to supply the NVR with the power it needs to convert to the 48vdc..

So because of the different loads and different voltage ranges what 1 person might have the system setup with may not cover the same setup as another with different volt and current demands...
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Plug a Kill-a-Watt meter into AC outlet and plug NVR into Kill-A-Watt.  It will probably show similar max watts as I mentioned if all camera IR is on full.  It does for me with one camera 12v DC power supply AC adapter plugged in to Kill-a-Watt.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@jack7 Would love to see a Picture of your Kill-A-Watt meter or know a Model number.. Mine only shows 120v or what ever AC Voltage it is plugged into I have not seen one that works showing 12vDC.. For testing out my Voltage and Amps I have to use a made up Volt Amp Meter that I have that I can connect to my DC Power supply using normal 2.1 jacks. I would love to find a Kill-A-Watt meter that will show me your data without having to go into so much trouble connecting up different devices..
KillAWatt.jpg
KillAWatt.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Revo2Maxx,
I have an IP4M-1026, full IR on, 6W max per tech specs, and
AC power supply adapter with Input:100-240V AC, .6A, and Output: 12V, 2A. AC adapter is plugged in a Kill A Watt model p4400 that displays the following:
V 122
A  .11
W 6
VA 12
HZ 60
You know way more than I do about electrical specs.  Would you please explain what what's wrong with the above Kill A Watt output values, or what the actual AC watt requirement may be in this example.  6W, 12-13W? 
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

To be honest it is really hard to say here is why... Right now looking at what my KAW is powering and testing and while it does change little bit over time they are not with numbers like yours..

Your showing 122V this is your AC Voltage and then it says it is running .11 amps.. So should have come up with 13.42va give or take so it might have been that after pressing the button the draw was reduced from what it should have been showing of the 13.42va then W and VA is or should be close to the same.. So right now as I said where I have mine setup I am using 428watts of power on the meter and when I pressed the button it jumped up to 441va however after about a second it shows again 428va and that is because the Watts is the same as VA and is why it is at the same button spot..

SO P=V x I = W and for you normal 12v 2amp that would look like this, 12v x 2amps = 24watts however this is Max numbers and with your KAW meter there is nothing it can really tell you outside of what that power supply is using on the 122vac side..

Please note most of these power supplies that would power the cameras or the Recorder are going to be nothing from AC mains to the DC output and if you were to look at the bottom of a good Built power supply there will be or SHOULD be a good High to Low Isolation gap with a Class Y1 Capacitor between the primary and secondary windings of the Transformer and in some of the not so good built supplies they don't use them and not really safe for my standards anyway..

So I don't have the Manual for my KAW meter anymore and it has been a while since I seen it.. However I am going to guess that the manual might have that info in it as well to what W and VA is.. W=Watts and VA is Volt Amps and Watts is the real power and VA is the apparent power and 1W is = to 1VA..

And the 60hz is the American Duty Cycle that means it is on 60 % of the time and off 40% of the time
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I went to look at one of my PDU's that has 4 cameras connected to it and it is only working at 4 of 8ch and 10amp power supply.. However when I tested this on the bench I was able to get 12.65amps with the voltage still over 12v however I wouldn't ever load it that high for a long time and even though it is 8ch I wouldn't even load it to the 10amp to run full time.. Taking some measurements here is the data for it..
Power.jpg
Power.jpg (607.16 KiB) Viewed 5242 times
Be Safe.