Audio over COAX on DVR

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Audio over COAX on DVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

While I can't say about all devices only the ones I own. The AMDV8m16-H5 and the AMDV7108-AI both do work with Audio over Coax. So for people that don't know some time ago CVI, and some other devices started upgrading what all can go over the RG59 or better cables other then just Video.

So what does this mean. Well in the past if I wanted a CVBS or CVI, TVI camera to have Audio I would need to use a system that would let me add such audio channel. Most times this meant being connected to the DVR's Audio input on the DVR. Some DVRs were setup for just 1 channel for audio I do have some older models from other company that has Video and Audio input for each of the 16 channels. Also have one that has 8 camera connections and 4 audio in as well. Problem was audio could only work on 1-audio it was setup for.. Could be CH1 for only 1 audio in, 1-4 for a system with 4 audio in and so on..

With the Amcrest 8m16-H5 or 7108-AI all you need is a Camera with a audio path that will send a normal mic to the camera convert that Analog audio to Digital and send the audio down the same RG59 cable that your Video is on..

So for all the people out there that wanted a DVR however was told only Mic cameras were IP that isn't the case and hasn't been the case for some time. My CVI camera is Dahua, IT does offer Data, Audio, and video down the same RG-59 cable. It is an older Dahua, CVI PTZ 12x camera only 720p. I have used it with older systems that I had to use RS-485 and audio input to get it to work. However connecting it to the 8m16-H5 or the 7108-AI I only need to send power to the camera and the mic seeing the camera uses 24vac power the Mic does require 12v Out side of that the rest is transmitted over 1 cable. Now this camera does have alarm out as well so that is also sent down a Cat5 cable that I used for all things to start with, Audio, RS-485, Alarm and Power for Mic now only need it for Alarm and Power for mic.

I personally don't have a Amcrest BNC camera with audio either built in mic or on the cable. However if they are newer Tech like 2018 or newer I am going to guess they will have the CVI DAC and work over RG-59..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kend

Re: Audio over COAX on DVR

Post by kend »

Thank you so much. Came across your post. I have the AMDV8m16-H5. It only has 1 channel audio using a mic. I also had 8MP amcrest analog camera with built in mic laying around. installed it. enable audio in settings and audio magically works now. I did have to change from 8MP to 5MP (video wouldnt show) as thats the max the annke bnc cables support. Unbelievable, as everyone told me I would need POE to enable audio on each camera. Just make sure one has new BNC cables and an analog camera with built in MIC ( I have AMC4KBC28-B) and it will work with most newer analog amcrest DVRs.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@kend Hello and Welcome to the forum

Yes the cables I have from company you mention are not that great. Even them boasting about them being fire rated Who cares lol.. Anyway I have like 12 of the cables 4 120 feet and 8 60 feet and each of them are not so great.. Even though they also say they will work for 8mp and do but not really well if you want all the features. Heck even my 2mp of theirs don't like any of the cables and it is their camera and cables lol

Anyway yeah for quality it is best to use a Good Siamese cable with a good true Copper cables.

My guess is your cables are like mine and if you were to use a Multi Meter to test the ground on the video and the ground on the cable for power they will be one of the same so in Theory you only have 3 cables running the length of the cable rather then 4 with the Really good ones that you could buy from the local Big Box store or a CCTV supplier. Only issue is it cost a lot more, plus you have to put the ends on. That is ok for me.

Anyway if you have access to where you want the cable to go normally Big Box will sell it by the foot. It cost normally 2 or 3x the cost of a spool but to get me by at times I will break down and buy what I need. I will admit there have been times that they don't care per foot anymore because the try to pawn off pre made junk cables if you want to buy less then a full spool..

A good Cat 5e or better will work as well. Depending on the length and Voltage requirements of your camera more then 2 pairs for power might be needed. I have a few that I use 3 pairs for power and 1 for video and have not had any issues. It does require little more work because one will need to make a good connection with each of the wires and isn't always that easy to do. So best to use Ferrule connectors. Easy way to go is just use Siamese cable with 18ga or better power wire
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kend

Post by kend »

Yes. those annke cables are amongst the thinnest I have come across. For me they do not work at all for above 5MP, infact the company now states that in their description. I have bought the amcrest HDCVI cables 100ft (SCABLE4K100B-PP). These work great for 8MP and audio without a problem. I will soon be updating all my cables to them.

The one problem I'm running into is finding analog camera that are 8MP. I'm certain they are discontinued as I tried so hard to find one with 6mm lens or a few with 3.6mm lens. The only one that seems to be left are 2.8mm lens. I like the 6mm for capturing license plates. I have one and it works perfectly. So far out of 16 camera, I have upgraded 2 to 8MP with audio, rest are still 4MP but no audio. My goal is to soon have at least 10 cameras with 8MP and audio, hopefully that wont overload my DVR, as this is the first time I'm enabling audio on this many cameras. If I can accomplish this, I will be good for the next 10 years or so, by then the scarcity of analog products will force me to go with ethernet or whatever the technology is by then.

So far the camera I have enabled audio on is working great. only issue im running into is it only plays audio perfectly on sub stream and not main stream. Hopefully I can find a fix for this.