Anyone tried the new firmware for the NV4xxx-HS series?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
plusfour

Anyone tried the new firmware for the NV4xxx-HS series?

Post by plusfour »

Just noticed that there's new firmware available for the NV4xxx-HS series dated 5/21/20 but the release notes are empty. Given that the current version is 3.215.00AC000.0 and this is 4.000.AC000 it looks like a significant step up, maybe they've finally fixed the broken TLS issue so it can be used with Gmail again, and added an ability to turn the power off. Has anyone tried it, or want to try it? I'm outside the US so if the new firmware causes problems getting a replacement NVR will be tricky.
plusfour

Re: Anyone tried the new firmware for the NV4xxx-HS series?

Post by plusfour »

Had a longer look through their endless non-alphabetically-sorted product menu and it's the same firmware version as the latest update available for the NV5xxx series, so it looks like this might be the long-awaited update for the 4's to get them current.
FLCISSP

Post by FLCISSP »

I just upgraded to the new firmware on my NV4108E-HS. The GUI is a vast improvement over the previous version. HOWEVER, now all 8 of my cameras have choppy video in Main Stream!! It is not a network issue as the choppiness occurs on the monitor directly connected to the NVR with the network cable connecting to my router unplugged. I am currently working with upper tier support which, so far, has no explanation for the issue. Unfortunately, the firmware is not down-gradable.

I have 25 years in IT, so I have a decent clue about what I am doing. Have tried a million troubleshooting steps, including upgraded the camera firmware on all 8 cams also; video still choppy - like 4-8 second skips.

I would like to know if anyone else had this issue after upgrading.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

Haven't risked it yet for reasons given above, if anything goes wrong an RMA is next to impossible, however some general questions, which cameras are you running, in other words any high-bandwidth/high-res ones, and is the choppiness for live video, triggered recording/playback, anything else, or all of the above? The codecs on the 4xxx's have problems with high bandwidths, as you add more streams in high resolutions you need to drop the res for the processing to keep up.
FLCISSP

Post by FLCISSP »

Cams: IP8M-2493EW. Choppiness occurs while watching only ONE camera on a monitor connected directly to the NVR. The playback of recorded video (playing back just ONE camera to take bandwidth load out of the mix) is also choppy; it is playing back the same choppy video that got recorded to HD.

Support is hanging me out to dry. It has been over a week since I have heard from them despite my several attempts to contact them. I'll give them another couple of days before I leave a horrible review and go with another brand.
FLCISSP

Post by FLCISSP »

UPDATE:
It turns out that the firmware upgrade to the NVR caused the video choppiness on all channels. It appears that when only one camera is attached, the choppiness is minimal. However, the choppiness becomes very apparent when reconnecting the cameras one by one.

Amcrest tech support let me know I was SOL since the NVR was purchased in 2018 and was out of warranty. I have recently purchased the GW Security NVR as a replacement and am very pleased with it so far. Sorry to have to say good-bye to Amcrest.

BEWARE OF THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE!!!
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

Thanks for the update. Such a pain, I'd really like to have a fix for their broken TLS implementation so it'll talk to most mail servers again, but if it's going to render the device unusable the "cure" is worse than the disease.

Have they at least added an ability to power it down now? With the existing FW/hardware the only way to do it is to pull the plug.
viking59

Post by viking59 »

Wow. Good customer service is indeed hard to find these days. I'll stay on 3.215 on my 4116 for now.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

Has anyone tried @Revo2Maxx's advice on CBR vs. VBR? That would certainly explain the choppiness-on-playback issue.