Any Reason Why I Can't Use an 8TB HD in the NV4108E-HS

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Z-Man

Any Reason Why I Can't Use an 8TB HD in the NV4108E-HS

Post by Z-Man »

I have a 4TB in there now. I'd like to bump it up to an 8TB to have more retention.
Any reason, I couldn't put an 8TB HD in there? Does the firmware limit the HD size to 6TB?
James.S

Re: Any Reason Why I Can't Use an 8TB HD in the NV4108E-HS

Post by James.S »

Z-Man,

The NV4108E-HS will only be able to read up to a 6TB HD. It will not be able to see a hard drive bigger than this size.

Here are the Tech Specs for this device> https://s3.amazonaws.com/amcrest-files/ ... ations.pdf
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

I went against the grain and installed an 8TB in there. The NVR saw it and I formatted it. It's recording fine. I lost a few megabytes, as expected whenever I add a new HD. It happens to me on Windows PCs too. Nowadays with those huge Hard Drives, we lose quite a bit off the original amount. Anyway since Amcrest says the product only supports up to a 6TB, I don't recommend people do this. I'm still experimenting. So do this at your own risk. I'm not sure if data will be lost. So far the extra storage sounds awesome since I got a good deal on the hard drive. I wish I could keep the 4TB HD in there as well.
:D ;)
8TB HD in NVR.jpg
8TB HD in NVR.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Wiley

Post by Wiley »

Have you had any problems since your 8TB install?
spleen911

Post by spleen911 »

I've been running a Western Digital 8TB Purple in an NV4108E-HS for 3 months and have experienced zero issues. I have three other NV4108E-HS running Western Digital 4TB Purple drives for comparison. No issue recording or playing back video. It isn't officially supported so you are on your own doing it. I keep a 4TB drive on my desk in case I have to contact technical support for any reason ... swap the drive and duplicate the issue before opening an incident.
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

No issues at all.
None.