AMDV8M8-H5

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
abbeyl

AMDV8M8-H5

Post by abbeyl »

This unit star to reboot randomly last week and now just boot to the logo screen and reboot again. Remove all connections, HDD and it still doing the same.
Don't know what else or how to proceed whit this unit, Thanks.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AMDV8M8-H5

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Have you tried to Reset the system with the Button inside the unit?

did you also remove the Fan from the PCB to see if maybe the fan shorted and is causing the issue?
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
abbeyl

Post by abbeyl »

Yes, I reset it with the button inside and remove all plugs (fan, front USB, front display, battery, HDD power and data) also tried connecting one at the time and still doing the same thing. Thanks for your response.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Last thing to try. I would maybe try another 12v Power supply. Clearing all things out should have been enough to get things going however there might have been just enough voltage to get to where it is going before it does more checks and requires more current that maybe your power supply right now is not able to provide. Once you try another power supply and it won't start it sounds like the system is going to need to be repaired. The good news is with it starting to boot up to the logo it shouldn't be to hard to repair.
Be Safe
abbeyl

Post by abbeyl »

Yes. I tried different plugs up to 3.0 amps...
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I am sure you have already tried everything as expected. However if the testing has been done with the Front Panel still disconnected I would reconnect the cable for the front panel if you haven't. So while I do have an AMDV8M16-H5 and in theory it is the same model with 16ch it is in a different chassis. If I remove the front panel wiring mine won't boot. I have a few DVR's and some of them have USB that share connection with front panel wiring and some are 2 different connectors. The USB don't need to be connected if it is in a connector of it's own. Also keep in mind if there was a short in the cable for the HDD just removing the cable from the HDD and keeping it connected to the PCB of the DVR could still keep the DVR from running.

Sorry just trying to cover everything before calling it E-Waste.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

With all that, If the system still has the Warranty, I would ask for RMA from Amcrest. Seeing it is an older unit model I am going to guess it is no longer under warranty and in that case if you have the tools I would do some board level diagnoses to see if you can fix the issue your self.

Here are the 5 most common reasons a PCB fails.

First and easiest to diagnose is Physical Board Damage. There can be many reasons that a devices PCB can fail. Most of these are double sided and will require the PCB to be removed for thorough visual check.
Second and kind of part of the first and that is Trace Damage. This could be caused by over current by lightning strikes or surges and shorts, overheating and normal wear and tear. Something that can happen not to common is metallic dust if the device is located in a shop area.
Third and maybe I should have listed it as #1 is Component failure. This could be as easy as bad Capacitor or protection diodes to and what we don't want would be damage to the SOC (Microprocessor).
Fourth and kind of same as third really is Power Failure, that can cause damage to the components on the circuit board.
Fifth and not really the last, Poor Design. I am going to guess this isn't the issue with the Amcrest DVR. However it is in the top 5 of my list of fails when it comes to Electronics. I have personally made some big mistakes in my history of Electronics trying to get just little more out of what I was working on just to watch it go up in smoke.
Be Safe