Amcrest DVR AMDV8M8 keeps restarting DVR or HDD issue?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Delorean1885

Amcrest DVR AMDV8M8 keeps restarting DVR or HDD issue?

Post by Delorean1885 »

I have the DVR hooked up to a CyberPower 1500VA battery backup along with 8 cameras.

When I'm in the office where the DVR is installed sometimes I hear a loud beep (not sure if its the DVR or the UPS) and then it sounds like the DVR is either restarting or the HDD (WD Purple 4TB) turns off and starts back up due to the spinning sound from the HDD.

When I go back to replay video from the moment it appears the HDD was off there is about a minute gap of no footage.

I thought of 3 scenarios:

- Faulty HDD that restarts randomly. Is it common for WD Purple to restart? Do HDDs even do that? It records just fine otherwise.

- Faulty DVR that restarts randomly. Can the DVR beep or known to randomly restart?

- Faulty UPS that cuts power randomly. Trying to catch this in the act and connect to the UPS USB utility.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest DVR AMDV8M8 keeps restarting DVR or HDD issue?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum

Personally I would remove the DVR from the UPS and see if there is an issue. I have in the past found that some UPS cause my recorder to crash when the UPS does a power cycle test. Even the last Pure Sinewave UPS caused the same issue. Also when the battery starts to fail I found that it would do that as well.

So I would if there is more then just the Recorder connected Remove the Monitor and anything that might be adding extra load. Then if it still does it I would as I said before Remove from the UPS and see if it happens still..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Delorean1885

Post by Delorean1885 »

Hi Revo, thanks for your advice. You were spot on, the power cycling is the cause of the restarting, I have switched over to surge protector mode only. What a crappy design of the UPS lol.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome I am glad that you were able to get it figured out..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe