Adding new garage to NV4116E-HS

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
zplugger

Adding new garage to NV4116E-HS

Post by zplugger »

I have 5 cameras on my NV4116E-HS now,just built a new garage in back yard. I want to add 4 poe 5mp cameras to the system with min wire to the house. Can I put a 8 port POE switch in new garage to hook the cameras too then run 1 cat 6 back to the house and plug into empty poe port on back of unit.? I want to keep everything hard wired. If not how would I do this?
Thanks for any suggestions
zplugger

Re: Adding new garage to NV4116E-HS

Post by zplugger »

Would this be a good switch?
Amcrest 8-Port POE+ Power Over Ethernet POE Switch with Metal Housing, 8-Ports POE+ 802.3af/at 96w (AGPS8E8P-AT-96-V2)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So a couple of things. The NV4116E-HS is a 8 Port POE NVR, So if you have 5 connected right now to the POE ports then you are going to be limited to only being able to connect 3 more to the NVR on the Port system. With that said keep in mind also that the ports work in a group of 4 so if you lets say happen to have 5 cameras on your NVR right now and only 3 are POE if you were to connect your new setup to port 4 then you would be limited to 1ch. This also means that if you were to connect to your NVR on port 5 because it was easy to get to setting up on port 4 of the NVR wouldn't work either. Meaning making a connection to port 5 and adding in your cameras starting on port 4 it won't load into that port.

Now to make this all the more complex there is some POE NVR's that I found this wasn't the case. Connecting any port could make all connections however this was on like first release of the 4116E-HS model. The one I own now I can't access anything outside of groups of 4, 1-4 and 5-8.

Also keep in mind that you will want to setup your cameras on a different lan range and keep your normal network of items off that setup. Because when you have your NVR connected to your main network like using it as a pass around for access to the cameras connected. The Switch will try to hand out IP to other cameras if you have them and or other things that might be connected with DHCP enabled

Now to be honest what would be the best thing to do in this case? Buy another NVR and connect the cameras to the NVR in the Garage, Then connect your cameras from your NVR to the 4116E-HS over your normal network. When you make this connection you would be adding your cameras on channels using your Garage NVR's IP address with channel number. So on your 4116E-HS it would have multi cameras connected with same IP. Like if you were using a DVR

Like in my case I have cameras connected to one of my NVRs on a IP connected at 10.0.0.220 so in my NVR I have 4 channels showing this IP however there are different cameras in view. In my 4116E-HS NVR you can see 3 of 4 cameras connected to that with my XVR on 10.0.0.219 IP with channel number being different. Normally on your NVR it will show Ch1 as the connected channels for your cameras out of this because of the size of window offered you can see 3 of the 4 connected and you can see the line shows IP same and SN is same only different is connected channel and that is how you really should connect a off site camera. This way if your 1 link to your NVR gets damaged or has network issues your cameras were being recorded on your Garage NVR as a back up source.
Screenshot (658).png
Screenshot (658).png (42.27 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Thanks Revo2Maxx
Would I be better off with the NV4232E-16P-El NVR, fishing 4 sets of cat 6 would be hard but possible from new garage to NVR in the house. If
I need another NVR it might be better to update to newer model. @70 it would probably last my life time. If I did the second NVR in new garage would I be able to view both NVRs on one monitor screen on my desk?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

To be honest, I wouldn't look to update your NVR to something better then you have now unless you need or want a single NVR setup. I say this because in truth what I am saying is that you have a NVR in the Garage that works as a backup recorder for the 4 cameras you are connecting. Then say 4 but I would guess 6 cameras will be used, 4 outside and 2 inside or something like that. Then from home to garage you are running the 1 cable and again this will let you put the cameras onto your NVR in the house. Here you can setup the one in the house as a Motion or just as a Monitor for the cameras out there. Then with the NVR in the garage you could setup for Full time or Motion event recording. View and Playback could use ASP and or AVP or WebUI from desk. About watching them on the same monitor Again I would add them to your local NVR and then monitor that NVR. If you need to get playback info use ASP or Log into WebUI.. Also in the event of a brake in with all the cameras showing on the Inside NVR the person takes just that NVR in the house and if you hid the one in garage well enough you have the footage from that NVR.. Again you can do some back and forth setup for different things to make sure that your Main Entry has backup and things like that.. But again 1 cable needed from garage to house and no need for switch or trying to connect into the NVR's POE ports over that connection..
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Thanks again Revo2Maxx
Thinking your idea is the way to go, so the one wire from new garage just has to connect to my network right? On my phone app will all the cameras show at same time with two NVR's?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Using the App you can pick and choose what cameras you want loaded up so yes can see them all. However as I was saying if you load them onto your in home nvr still only need to view off just that nvr. However either way will work. Yes connection to normal network would be best way. I would look at new old stock 4108e-hs or 4108e-a2 is newer cost little more but has features your 4116 don't have so that is why I say old new stock would be best.
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Thanks again for all your help Revo2Maxx
Looking at a Amcrest NV4108E-HS 4K 8CH POE NVR for new garage, do you think this would be good choice? Like
you said probably will have 4 outside and a couple inside. Will this have as good of video as my NV4116E-HS?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah that is what I would use in your case. This would give the ability to power the 4 expected cameras and also have room as a backup for some different cameras either in that location or even from your main house as a backup to the NVR in the house.

So having a 8ch would be good for ability to add extra cameras if needed and or to even add the main Entrance of the main house to it.
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Morning Revo2Maxx
Quick question about my setup, right now my NV4116 is on a network and has a monitor wired to it so no computer needed. I view right from my desk,all my cameras are hardwired to the POE ports. All is working good, here is my question. If I add a hardwired camera with a POE switch and its hooked to my network should it show on my monitor? I have tried with no luck, hoping I just not setting it up right. Nice to have a monitor to the nvr so no computer has to be on. Will the NVR pick up a camera on the network?