Add External Mic to NVR to Use with Camera

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jhambach

Add External Mic to NVR to Use with Camera

Post by jhambach »

How can I add an external microphone to an ip camera (IP8M-T2499EW) using the "mic in" port on the Amcrest NV5216 NVR? On the NVR, and with the audio enabled, I tried to assign audio input via Camera/attribute/audio in device, but the only option is "Normal" and it is grayed out. I have no problem getting the sound from the built-in mic on the camera, and the external mic is sending a signal to the NVR's "Mic in" port.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Add External Mic to NVR to Use with Camera

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Does that Camera have a Mic IN and OUT connection on the Wire tale? Or only built in mic in Camera? Ask because some cameras that have the option on wire tale will have to have different camera as MIC in the NVR connector.. While that might be wrong that is how it is for one of my systems I have a camera that has a MIC, but because it is placed 36 feet in the air I needed a Mic below in view area, I tried to install a stand alone mic and connect to Recorder to find out I have to run it through the Cameras in rather then to the Recorder

One thing to try is to setup that Mic on a different camera that don't have a MIC and see if you can setup via your in on the recorder as it might have been Disabled via a FW patch for a System that had a Audio issue
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
jhambach

Post by jhambach »

"Does that Camera have a Mic IN and OUT connection on the Wire tale? Or only built in mic in Camera?"
Only a built-in mic

All of my other cameras have built in mics as well so I can't try your suggestion. Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well seeing you can't do that..

Maybe try and see if in the camera area under Audio/Video if in the area for Audio. Look at the area that says Attribute and see if in the Drop down box if it gives an option for the MIC in Audio In Device box area? Maybe if the mic is connected and you hadn't changed the MIC from the Camera to the DVR might have the OPTOIN threre.. Then make sure if it is there to Enable it in the Main and Sub so it records the audio for your needs.. Outside of that. Might have to contact Amcrest Support for better help on this matter...
Be Safe
jhambach

Post by jhambach »

The option only shows "Normal" on the NVR audio in and it is grayed out. On the camera UI web page, the audio in dropbox shows 1 option, mic in. That is the built in mic on the camera. Thanks for trying.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well sadly I made entry to my NVR and while it isn't the 5216 I think it is if your using the NEW FW from 2020 on the same as mine or close to the same V4.000.00AC000.0 is what the machine says for mine, with a Build date of 5-22-2020 and I think your might be the same with maybe a build date of 5-21-2020 or could be the same even.. Sadly I didn't have a MIC installed and had to gain access to my Security Room that isn't easy to get into for Security Reasons.. Anyway after getting in there installing a MIC I don't see anything within that FW that lets me use the MIC not even if I wanted to use it as a 2 way push to talk setup kind of thing so I could talk to cameras with output speakers.. So I removed one of my cameras from a different system that didn't have a MIC or in or out to see if I could get it to come up with info for such and no luck. So I thought ok lets check out what happens with a camera that does have a Pigtail for a set of wires with Audio in and out, Got my Dahua 4mp Color at night IP camera and tested that camera with setup. At first there was no audio, went to camera, encode and in there changed Audio Format to ACC and 16000 and sure enough that camera was able to take up Audio however after removing that from the camera and adding the MIC back to the NVR there was no option for use from the NVR. SO it seems at this time for this FW anyway and if your using the 2020 FW most likely same for yours as well. So as of Now no Wires for Mic or Mic being built in to camera no Audio options able...

Sorry I wasn't able to be more help in this matter. Something to add to my list of things I didn't like about the 4.0 update to my NVR..
Be Safe
jhambach

Post by jhambach »

I very much appreciate all of your efforts in helping me resolve this! You gave me much valuable information in which I can continue to find a way to resolve this. Thanks.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well did some more looking testing and ran a RCA to my Office from my Secure room so I don't have to mess with that again... I did find some strange things out lol sadly nothing that is helpful. On the WebUI for my NVR anyway there is a Toggle on the left for a Mic with a Record Button next to it. Spent a lot of time trying to get this thing to work.. Turning off my MIC on my camera, Trying to Record a Local to HDD with MIC on and record button on and all sorts of different things and combo of things and there was just nothing to get it to record with any Camera.. Also couldn't find any recording for a Audio from the thing either. So I am not sure One why it is there or 2 what it does..
Be Safe
jhambach

Post by jhambach »

What little I can find on the Internet, it looks like the mic in port on the NVR needs to be enabled. But how to do that seems to be a mystery.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I know that with some other items they removed the Audio for a time and I don't know if this is one of the systems seeing it was Hackable.. I know it was with Some Cameras. It might have been an Over sight with the New FW and it will be Released in a new update as soon as one comes out.. I will ask Monday to see what I can find out..
Be Safe