(AMDV5108-I3) DVR Getting audio to work

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
FuzzThePiGuy

(AMDV5108-I3) DVR Getting audio to work

Post by FuzzThePiGuy »

Hello,

Hopefully I can get some help with the issue that I am having. I have the following DVR Amcrest 4K 8 Channel (AMDV5108-I3). I have a total of 6 cameras hooked up to the DVR as of now. Video works with no issues. The following camera I have plugged into port 1 on the DVR (AMC4KDM28-B). This camera has built in mic.

I tried everything that I can try and I get no audio. When I go to the encode tab I can turn on the audio, but it only shows "Local". It's wierd that at times I can turn the audio on for port 5 also.

Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: (AMDV5108-I3) DVR Getting audio to work

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

So I have the Big Brother to your DVR and I have issues with Audio right now on my system. Now your's is a i3 so my guess that is a 3rd Gen DVR where mine the 7108-AI came out on the first Release.

So here is some things that I have found for my system anyway using the Turret version of the 8mp camera you are using. If I use better cable or shorter wire then I get the audio to work on my system. However if I use premade or low quality RG-59 cable I can enable the audio on my 8mp camera the issue is that it will only work a short time then there is a POP and nothing. Then a few moments later it will turn back on.

So at 1 location I put the camera, I also had Cat5e there so I tried adding the BNC ends and power ends to the cat cable and there was no issue with Audio once added to the Cat cable.

Also on the premade cables. If I used power though the cable or power at the cameras I had the same POP audio issue

No issue on my older AMDV8M16-H5 DVR with cheap cables and good cables the DVR worked as expected with audio on.

My guess is that the cable your trying to use is lower quality and shares the ground with the power. Then because of the share and length the audio isn't detected at the DVR so when you try to turn it on it is like use Local at DVR.

If you don't have any way to test ends for BNC over cat cable I would look at some Balun that will work with 8mp cameras. Not all work the same so buying cheap isn't always the way to go. Only need the Video and Power and if power is there already at the camera location then only need video Balun as long as it will work with 4k cameras and CVI as some might say they don't work with a type of system..
Be Safe.
FuzzThePiGuy

Post by FuzzThePiGuy »

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Amcrest BNC/Power cables for this camera. This camera also has a RCA hookup for audio as well. I'm new to the analog cameras. I used to have Amcrest POE cameras, but I stopped using them. Because I was getting a lot of interference around 140MHz range.

I do have a couple foot premade BNC cable I could try.
Here's the cable that I am using from Amcrest. Amcrest 4-Pack 4K Security Camera Cable 60FT BNC Cable
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I personally don't have them cables so I can't say. If you have a Multi Meter I would double check that the cables you are using are not sharing the ground with the Video. While they will work for 8mp cameras there might be an issue with the camera Audio caused by type of Power supply used or the shared ground if that cable is using a shared ground. On one of the cable\s if you test the ground from say the male end of the power jack to the ground of the BNC if there is a connection then it is a shared ground and could be the issue..

Also the camera has a OSD so keep in mind 2 things. First CVI is only format that the camera will work in audio. That isn't something that is stated anywhere I can find. However that is something I found in my testing. If I setup for CVI I can get Audio. However if I setup in TVI, AHD or CVBS audio over coax don't work.. Second part is that the camera has under Advanced an area where you can choose AUdio input or Mic so that might be the issue..
Screenshot (4510).png
Screenshot (4510).png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 277 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

One last thing I thought I would mention. You also might want to double check that the power supply you are using is good enough. While it does say it is a low power camera it might have issues using a lower power supply. Personally I would use a PDU and double check the voltage at the camera. Remember with distance and resistance is Voltage Drop the longer the distance and higher resistance the larger the voltage drop. However 60ft even with a 22awg cable for power should be ok at a 8% voltage drop. Now that is if the cable is using Copper and if it is a CCA and or smaller then 22awg wires for power then it could be greater.

While people might say that a 2amp power supply and 1 amp power supply should be able to work without an issue for a camera that is only using 500ma of current. Issue is there are IR and other issues that are at play and a 2amp power supply would be better then using a smaller power supply.
Be Safe.
FuzzThePiGuy

Post by FuzzThePiGuy »

Thanks for your help. I tried the CVI setting on the software and changed the switch on the camera to match and the audio works with no issues.

Back to the power supply. I am using a server power supply to power the cameras. I have a few laying around that I was using for mining.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

As a possible point of interest if you haven't already discovered it, the on screen menu of the camera as displayed above should be accessible through the general PTZ settings of the DVR by right clicking on the camera image while in live view mode.