What do I need??

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
huffstetlercraig

What do I need??

Post by huffstetlercraig »

I have had an in door Amcrest camera for several years. Recently I wanted to add one to my building that sits about 60' or so from my house. After looking I went with a IP8-2496EB. I did a good bit of research and me not knowing really anything about cameras I wasn't sure how it would work. I looked at everything I could find and Amcrest does good job with how to set it up but there is something to be desired about what equipment I would need to do a full installation. Can someone please tell me everything I would need in order to set up a remote camera? Do I need to send this one back? Apparently I don't have exactly what I need to set one up in a more remote location. Thanks for your help.
amcrest168

Re: What do I need??

Post by amcrest168 »

hi @huffstetlercraig and welcome to the forum. the IP8-2496EB is a poe camera and that means it's a hard wired camera that need to be either powered by a poe injector or by a nvr with poe. were you planning on getting a wireless ip camera or you really want a hard wired ip camera?

this is an example of a nvr with poe, https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-NV4108E- ... B0743WP62Q

if your nvr is not poe, you can still use the camera since you can still power it with a 12v dc adapter. you need a nvr either way to use a hard wired camera.
poe.PNG
poe.PNG (178.76 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@huffstetlercraig Hello and welcome to the Forum

So there are a few things that would be needed to run this camera...

First you don't need a NVR or a recorder if your not looking for a larger system then the cameras you had and this one and don't mind using MSD cards or setting up a FTP server for the footage even... There are other ways and you might already have ASP setup for your current cameras or a NAS... There is also Blue Iris for all that can record from these cameras and there are more many more.... But if your looking for Future Upgrades for more cameras I would get an NVR for sure... With all that said....

This camera is a POE camera that can work with a Cat5e or cat6.. Please note there are a lot of people out there that are trying to sale Fake or CCA cables as Cat5e and 6 and for the people that have not dealt with Network cables before it might be hard to know what is good and what isn't... However if you buy cables and when you get them you can pinch the cable and it crushes and feels like you can move the cables around inside it is Fake CCA or worse cable...

60' I would buy a 75 or 100' of GOOD True Copper Cat5e and better if you were to buy Cat6 and because your saying that your going to go out 60 feet from the home you would want some Outdoor Direct Burial cable... I don't expect you to buy and install all the things that i did when I ran my 150' of cables to my camera locations but to be fair I will mention even though the cable says Direct Burial I would but you don't have to but I would still put it in PVC... While I have most of mine in 4in there are parts that are at connections that I did reduce it down to 1 1/2 to the camera. Again the parts used was because I can't just have 1 camera lol...

Something you will want to think about is Cost of a Ethernet Surge Protector. They are kind of spendy but if you live in an area like I do and have loads of Lightning days you might want to plan on installing one... But I will tell you this.. I do not have one at my Cabin and while my camera there was loads of cash I have had the main board go out 2 times since I bought the camera and I can't say it was or wasn't caused by lightning The first time it went out the camera was under warranty and Samsung sent me a new board however it has been 7 years I think now and it went out for the second time a few months ago.. Trying to find a replacement only can find one from UK and they want almost 400 for the board... And to be Honest for what the board is I think that is BS but the camera even on ebay goes for 1500 refurbished.... So keep it in mind when running your cameras in high lightning areas... I do have one at my home and if memory serves me right it was just under 100 USD...

Don't forget when you bring the cable out of the home Cat cables don't like sharp bends

So what you need?

75 to 100' of cable
12vdc Power supply if there is power at the camera location and only if you don't have a POE Switch or NVR with POE.
Or if you will be buying more POE cameras in the future I would buy a POE+ Switch because it will power both POE and POE+
Outdoor Ethernet Surge Protector (Optional)
MSD card upto 128 gig

Cat cables were not made to be in the Air. So if there is no building from home to camera location it should be buried. IF you are going to run for testing for a short time that is one thing but full time long time install under ground...
Be Safe.
huffstetlercraig

Thank you for all the information. Is there a strictly wireless camera that I could use that would not require all the above? This is only other camera I intend on using.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

if you're looking at wireless, perhaps you can consider this?

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-UltraHD- ... 073V6NNMG/
huffstetlercraig

amcrest168 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:53 am if you're looking at wireless, perhaps you can consider this?

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-UltraHD- ... 073V6NNMG/
Excellent! Thank you. I don't mean to be a pain in the neck but what all will I need for this to operate and can I still use it via wifi and the Amcrest Cloud?
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

you will need a micro sd card for local storage. you can also use a nvr for local storage in addition to the cloud subscription for the amcrest cloud. ensure your 2.4ghz band wifi signal is strong so the wireless camera stays connected to your network.