New Member With Simple Question

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
kevinp1335

New Member With Simple Question

Post by kevinp1335 »

I've had a Ring doorbell for quite a while and my wife likes how the app gives notifications when it detects motion at our door.

I wanted the same thing for a camera that covers my backyard. I bought an ASH22-W and found out that the Smart Home app will pop up notifications when it detects motion. I had to add an SD card to be able to see video of my backyard and everything is working great.

So, here's my question...
I also bought a NV4108-A2 NVR thinking I needed it to be able to see video of my backyard. I realize the SD card in the camera doesn't hold as much video as the hard drive in the NVR (I've got a 64 GB card). But, do I really need the NVR at all? Is there any advantage to having it? The video recorded on the NVR doesn't show up in the Smart Home app (at least I haven't found a way to do it).
Pogo

Re: New Member With Simple Question

Post by Pogo »

The NVR is not required. The camera would need to be added to the NVR for any useful storage or playback purpose to be be realized. This could easily be achieved by simply using a larger capacity SD card (up to 256GB) in the camera.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

The Ash Product type is a Smarthome app camera and will not have all the features that a real IP camera would have. Needing a NVR to record no. Having a larger Micro SD card could help, Another thing is make sure that you have not setup full time recording to the MSD. If you want full time recording then it would be best to have a NVR or a DVR with IP channels if you have an older DVR setup already.. Or you could use ASP if you have a large enough hdd on your computer to have full time recordings. In ASP that is free from Amcrest it has a PC-NVR option that you can use to setup full time recordings just have to have the PC online 24/7. All in all, If you have other IP cameras or a Doorbell that has ONVIF/RTSP like the Amcrest ones then to be honest keeping the NVR would be the best idea. Plus with the NVR you said you have the A2, You could buy an AI camera and could have many months of stored footage using IVS or Smart Detection to only record real events of people or vehicles rather then when it rains or snows or the clouds move along the ground that would trigger most motion only systems.
Be Safe.
kevinp1335

Post by kevinp1335 »

If I got one of the Amcrest doorbell cameras that has ONVIF/RTSP, could I set it up to alert my Android phone when it detected someone at my door?
I had motion detection and people detection set with the ASH22-W, but had to disable the motion detection because the wind blowing the trees was setting it off. I was hoping to keep it on because I have a woodchuck burrowing underneath my garage that I've been trying to get rid of and I'd like to know when he's around. The AI cameras have better detection?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Don't know where you are in the world but it might be if you have not had the Girl move on before now she might be under ground until next spring. I have not seen mine around for a week now. However it has been colder then normal and going to warm up a little for another week. But My guess is my Groundhog aka Woodchuck is in for the winter. She had 4 babies and they moved on month or little more ago now.

About trying to record them yeah that could be hard to catch if your not recording full time. I mean I use a few cameras in my area of the Wildlife in my backyard that I have setup to record full time on the Sub Channel and events on the normal channel so I can playback if needed. Trying to setup motion that will trigger with the animals and or humans without triggering with Rain, Snow and the natural shadows that are around is very hard to do. Using 3rd Party software can be a way to go using something like Blue Iris with Code Project AI. However requires a computer to remain on 24/7 and for some people is not something they want to invest in either the time or the money to get it working perfect.

About AI having better Detection. Yes in most cases some offer Human or Vehicle detection but are not required to use the function of Tripwire or Intrusion. They work better because you setup a Grid area and if something passes over that area be it a trip wire or box for Intrusion then the system alerts you if you have it turned on to do so and will record the event again if you had turned on to do so..

My Amcrest 2496EW-V2 has the ability to turn on IVS events without the option of the higher end models and so a camera like that might be good for your needs. However others that offer the IVS again don't have to be enabled with Human or Vehicle detection and yes it does keep only things that cross the line to trigger and I have not had any clouds rain or things like that trigger it.
Be Safe.
shrimpangle

Post by shrimpangle »

If I were to install one of the Amcrest doorbell cameras equipped with ONVIF/RTSP, would I be able to configure it to send alerts to my Android phone whenever it detects activity at my doorstep?

I previously had motion detection and people detection enabled on the ASH22-W model, but had to disable motion detection due to false alarms triggered by wind blowing through the trees. However, I'm keen on keeping it enabled as I'm dealing with a woodchuck burrowing underneath my garage, and I'd like to receive notifications when it's around. Do the AI cameras offer improved detection capabilities in such scenarios?
Stacy33

Post by Stacy33 »

kevinp1335 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:10 am I've had a Ring doorbell for quite a while and my wife likes how the app gives notifications when it detects motion at our door.

I wanted the same thing for a camera that covers my backyard. I bought an ASH22-W and found out that the Smart Home app will pop up notifications when it detects motion. I had to add an SD card to be able to see video of my backyard and everything is working great.

So, here's my question...
I also bought a NV4108-A2 NVR thinking I needed it to be able to see video of my backyard. I realize the SD card in the camera doesn't hold as much video as the hard drive in the NVR (I've got a 64 GB card). But, do I really need the NVR at all? Is there any advantage to having it? The video recorded on the NVR doesn't show up in the Smart Home app (at least I haven't found a way to do it).
The NVR isn't essential. To enable useful storage or playback capabilities, the camera must be connected to the NVR. This can be easily accomplished by utilizing a larger capacity SD card (up to 256GB) directly in the camera.