New member with old DVR

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
ddejongh

New member with old DVR

Post by ddejongh »

I have an AMDV7208 with the original cameras. If I upgrade to, say, AMDV8M8-H5, will the original cameras work with the new DVR, or will I have to replace them?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: New member with old DVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the Forum

That is a Multi Ability Machine and as such CVI is one of the types of cameras that can work with it.. Sadly to be fair while your cameras will work I would over some time update your cameras to better Rez, I have loads of different cameras and while I do still have some 720p CVI from my 7204 I have other machines that I can go to 5mp and I have my NVR that will do 4k Daytime 4k is awesome not so much at night.. Night time I have best luck with 1080p to 4mp. I do have 1 5mp TVI that works well but to be fair looks almost as good at night as my 4mp from same Manufacture so might be same type Electronics in the camera. Both are 2.8mm x 12mm Motorized zoom however my 4mp is Auto focus where my 5mp is like my other moto zoom with manual focus not as nice but gets the job done..

Once you put in a better AKA higher MP then 720p you will want even more looking for the best or at least I do lol..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Oh and one thing I thought I better get out there as well.. Only thing I found on 1 of my 5mp cameras is that it don't like 2 of the Made cables that came with my 7204 I had installed at the time I put in the unit because I was out of my Siamese cables I ran for the rest of the runs.. So I am going to guess that it could be an issue in the future if you were to update your camera to say 5mp or 4k for your new DVR that you might need better cables. I can use them on 3mp, 1080p an the 720p the cables came with later of the 3 my 4mp is an IP camera so the issue was only with my 5mp. I pulled in some Cat5e and picture is there without an issue using a Balun I use both Active and Passive without an issue..
Be Safe
ddejongh

Post by ddejongh »

Thanks. I'm quite happy with the resolution I have, but I've got through several cooling fans on both DVRs over the past few years. We have two homes with eight cameras at each location, which we can monitor remotely, depending where we're staying at the time. Are the current generation of DVRs any more reliable than the old ones, or am I just looking for more overheating problems?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Some of the Recorders don't even have fans. However I have also gone though fans as well. Even my Dahua 8ch DVR's have had fans that were really loud so I replaced them with better fans and now not to loud. Some almost can't even tell there was fan running.. One of my Dahua DVR's after fan installed still loud used some hot glue made a bead let it dry then installed fan and it has very little sound so much better..
Be Safe