New camera, no IP address

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
wklopf1

New camera, no IP address

Post by wklopf1 »

I bought an IP8M 2496EB camera. I am installing it on a desktop computer. I have installed Firefox 49 as the browser. I have a 12 volt DC power supply plugged into the power port of the camera. The green indicator light in the memory card chamber is glowing. The ethernet cable is plugged directly into the computer. I downloaded the IP config tool and the Surveillance Pro software. When I click "login" on the config tool, it displays an IP address and the default user and password. I click OK and it tells me that the connection failed. If I click the settings tab, I get a different IP address, but when I click OK to search, the dialog box disappears, but nothing else visible happens. Any Ideas on what I should do to get the camera and computer communicating? Thanks.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: New camera, no IP address

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

So I see that you have said you are able to find the camera using IP tools!?

So the IP address that it is showing is it on your network prefix? Or is it showing a Different Ip address like 192.168.0.108?

Or is it showing a all different type?

So I don't use the Amcrest IP tools so I am sorry if I give some wrong info.. However if it shows a IP that your system isn't on there could be like there is on mine that gives you the ability to change the IP to your Network Prefix.. Like say your network Prefix is 10.23.14.1 and the IP for the camera is showing at 192.168.0.108 then using the IP config tool you can take that info and change the Cameras IP to your Prefix making it maybe something like 10.23.14.108 for the time being until you get connected and make a better choice of what you want it to be what your trying to do here right now is get it so your computer and the camera are on the same Prefix...

ONce you can connect using your computer you can make the changes you need within the cameras WebUI...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also if by chance the camera was bought used.. It might need to be factory Reset.. Do do a Reset there should be an access on the bottom like my 1046EW-AI has.. Remove 2 screws and then there will be a access for a MSD card, and a Reset button to the Right of it.. It will kind of look like molded plastic cut in a long slit with a round area for pressing the button that is under it.. IT can be tricky sometimes to get a good push of it button, Press it for 30 seconds while it is plugged in and it should reset back to factory settings...
Be Safe
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

wklopf1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:09 pmThe ethernet cable is plugged directly into the computer.
Forgive me if I've overlooked something obvious but I don't quite understand this part of your question. Have you setup an adhoc network on your computer? Have you tried connecting the camera to your router?
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so I guess when I seen them talking about using IP config I thought they were talking about connecting the camera to a router and when said connected to computer I just thought they were talking about not being connected to a POE NVR's port or some other method that would cause it to not be reachable.. However after seeing the Comment in quotes that now makes me wonder something else lol..

So best if you want to make a connection this way to do 2 things..

First having the Camera and computer on the Same Network Range is a MUST.. You can set your computers IP to a static IP like I have mine, (However I do have many IPs on my computer) just need to make sure your computer and your camera are on the same one LIKE 192.168.1.108 might be camera, you could make yours 192.168.1.109.. Then with the cable connected to the camera you would be able to access the camera over the cable without issue I just tested it on one of my Amcrest cameras and was able to access a camera that was normally on my POE Range 10.1.1.80 because one of my computers Ip address in my setup is 10.1.1.119 for this computer...

Second to make sure that your camera is reachable with the cable connected to the camera and computer is running the ARP command and make sure your computer can even see the IP in question.. From a Win10 computer press the Windows key next to spacebar, then at the same time press R, Type in CMD in the box that comes up, then when the Command Prompt window comes up type arp -g this will list your IP.s Now if you look at mine while My connection is my main range I do have many IPs and so I was able to access the 10.1.1.80 in my list all the other IPs are not important your looking for the Dynamic IP look at this arp of my connection in question in this picture.. Notice my Interface is my normal Static IP all others that I have on this computer around 6 others in total while not listed I know what ones I have access too without adding others..
arp.png
arp.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Oh thought I would also show my IPconfig so you understand more about why my interface says one thing and I claim I am able to connect to another just incase there is a Question about this info...
arpipconfig.png
arpipconfig.png (17.37 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
Be Safe