Hello and farewell

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
leadinglights

Hello and farewell

Post by leadinglights »

I bought an Amcrest AD110 to add to my home automation in order to be able to answer the front door to visitors and deliveries even when I am in the workshop some 100 feet away.

Before I continue I must admit to a personality flaw: I don't and won't use smartphones. While this may be a bit unusual, there are people in this world who are anti-vaccine, people who don’t believe in climate change, people who are religious, people who have strong political views, and people who are afraid of spiders, snakes, high places or open spaces. I suffer from none to those, but I don’t like smartphones - it is what it is and I avoid anything that must have a smartphone to set it up. Having said that, I manage quite well with the crutches of an ancient flip phone and a working knowledge of the care and feeding of wireless and wired networks.

Having replaced my 8V 8VA transformer with a 16V 30VA one and modified my two door chimes so that they accurately modeled a single chime and should work with the chime kit, I pressed on with installing the AD110 on a doorframe modified for the increased width of the AD110. For software I used a copy of the Amcrest Smart Home app running under Bluestacks on my desktop computer - the computer having temporarily had its network connection replaced with a WiFi one to not confuse the network. The reset button on the AD110 was pushed to enable hotspots and I proceeded through the setup on the app.

Sadly, after some hours of trying to connect through this setup, through an old Nexus Android tablet, and through a Chromebook, I had to call it a day. The AD110 having been purchased on a "No return" basis from a seller in the USA (I am in the UK) there was nothing to do and the new AD110 has been thrown into the electronic waste. I am only grateful that I didn't buy the more expensive AD410.

So I fear it is hello and goodbye.