Can solar panels succesfully power security cameras

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
cajunbob

Can solar panels succesfully power security cameras

Post by cajunbob »

Has anyone used solar panels and batteries to power outdoor security cameras such as Amcrest Cameras. I do not have electric power at the camera site. I am using a 20 volt solar panel and regular 12 volt batter to power an outdoor Amcrest security camera. If there is bright sunlight, the battery successfully powers the camera for two days -sometimes. It usually looses power at night but recharges enough in the morning to power the camera back up. I can not find anyone to tell me what larger voltage panel to us or suggest a different battery. Do I use a higher voltage panel to charge the battery enough for it to last through the night or a cloudy day? Do I need to get a different battery? Can this work?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Can solar panels succesfully power security cameras

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a lot of factors that come into play when you try to do your setup... One type of Battery? type of Solar Cell? type of Power controller that controls the power into batter and out of battery?

Sadly small battery means lower run times. Larger battery means might need more solar power for full charge.

Then there might be a need for backup charging on days that don't have much light this could be from a wind generator or gas one even.... Then there is the safe factors that needs to be addressed. Ability to disconnect power from service to be able to penetrate that area your trying to secure.
Be Safe.