Arlo is the worst, is Amcrest the best?

Introduce yourself to the Admins, Mods and the users of the Amcrest Forum. Welcome To Amcrest!
billybixby

Arlo is the worst, is Amcrest the best?

Post by billybixby »

I'm looking to join this club, because the old one was trash.

I came across Amcrest after a few minutes of searching, and from what I'm seeing this looks awesome. What Amcrest systems are "comparable" to this Arlo setup? (Supposing the Arlo worked). I'm into ip if it works reliably with my mesh wifi system. If not... I can run cable.

Thank you. Russell
IMG-2731.jpg
IMG-2731.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 5169 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Arlo is the worst, is Amcrest the best?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the Fourm.

In truth not much works well with Mesh. Running cable is safest and best bet
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
billybixby

Post by billybixby »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm Hello and welcome to the Fourm.

In truth not much works well with Mesh. Running cable is safest and best bet
Thank you, great forum here.

Yes, I'm thinking wired. I've been having way to many tech issues lately and am leaning on towards something wired. 2-3 cam. Something reliable.

I have an upstairs office that's on the side of the house where I'd like to mount the cams. Outdoors, overlooking my shared driveway. I have a powerful pc in the office that's always on. Is there a cam that you'd recommend that can hook up to a pc, and use the pc as a dvr? Or are the dvr's cost effective and simple? Any cam recs?

I'm trying to glean info from the pros. Thank you for your help.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I am More of a Troll then a Pro lol. JK..

About a camera that can work with your computer that is good and all but in truth the best thing is to use a DVR/NVR for recordings. However if you don't want many cameras or have much need for a really good ability to Record full time, Then you could get IP cameras and connect to your LAN and then use Amcrest Surveillance Pro and PC-NVR that it comes with and record to your computer. Just keep in mind that from a Computer Stand point it takes resources running a computer more then it would if your cameras were connected to a DVR/NVR.. (Link if you think about updates that happens random) With a DVR/NVR it will only update when you tell it too and don't have to worry about things working in the background that your not expecting that could cause lag within a Computer using ASP and PC-NVR..

About Camera. I would try and make sure that you get a camera that meets your needs. Like if you have area that is High up and need to have good View around 30 to 50 feet from your camera you will want to make sure that you have a good enough Lens for your needs..

2.xmm lens is great for Wide area of view however if the distance is outside the DORI you will not be happy. So Personally I would look for a lens that can work like 2.x by 12.x type of lens camera Cheaper would be to go with a Manual adjustable lens aka Vari-Focal lens. The other way is using a Motorized Vari-Focal with auto focus. Just make sure when your setting it up that you Zoom in to the 12. and setup the camera in that view then zoom out so when you later on want to zoom in some your not out of the frame or ROI (Region of Interest) you wanted to see more detail.

Also something to think about. 8MP cameras are great for the day and if they are really costly then they will be good at night however most of the cheaper 8mp cameras don't do to well in low light area.. So if your area is well lit then it don't matter. Just keep that in mind and try to stay at 4mp and lower for best Night Time Vision views..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
billybixby

Post by billybixby »

Thank you for the great reply. I need to research this even more. I didn't know the difference between dvr/nvr... I'm going with Amcrest when I happens. Thank you!