When should I use the EXTRA stream vs MAIN

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
gammy999

When should I use the EXTRA stream vs MAIN

Post by gammy999 »

I guess I am not understanding this technology of two streams.
Can someone enlighten me?
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: When should I use the EXTRA stream vs MAIN

Post by Melvin »

Hi gammy999,

In main stream you can adjust the resolution and you can set it to maximum resolution supported by camera, In Extra or sub stream by default the camera will be on lower resolution. When you are remote viewing your cameras on internet if your network bandwidth is less the camera will switch to extra stream.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

RB1

Post by RB1 »

So if I have a robust wifi network with lots of bandwidth is it ok to turn off the Extra Stream?
mromamcrest

Post by mromamcrest »

RB1 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:29 am So if I have a robust wifi network with lots of bandwidth is it ok to turn off the Extra Stream?
RB1,

Ideally I would not recommend to disable the Extra stream altogether due to the app defaults to Extra(Sub) stream. Disabling would cause a failed to connect error or a black screen to show initially and prevent you from accessing your device.

Once the connection is established, It can always be manually put in HD but this is done for app stability and more efficient startup connection.

Here is a video explaining this in more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVu3rrLQNg&t=2s

Another factors to consider, when using P2P, the world wide web internet connection may not be as good as your internal network. This would make it necessary to use sub stream instead as well.