What does anti dither do?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
sbsmithjax

Re: What does anti dither do?

Post by sbsmithjax »

Definitive answer from Amcrest Support on this topic:

https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ost-Record
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I don't find the way that article explains things very helpful (to the way my mind works at any rate):-

"Anti-dither: After an initial motion event is detected, the system will continue to record video if a second motion event occurs within the set Anti-dither period.

Post Record: Determines how long the system records video for after a motion is detected.
"

The settings shown are 5 seconds anti-dither and 10 seconds post record, so from the first detected movement recording will continue for 10 seconds in any case.

I think that what is meant and what happens is that after an initial motion event is detected, the system ignores further motion events for the anti-dither period.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
mromamcrest

Post by mromamcrest »

sbsmithjax,

Thank you and Ill further expand on this a little bit on how anti dither works using an example scenario:

The industry standard definition would the one provided by longedge
"Anti-dither: After an initial motion event is detected, the system will continue to record video if a second motion event occurs within the set Anti-dither period"
This definitely can be very confusing.

My explanation that I have used in the past and seen success when trying to explain it to a customer is as follows. If this seems to be more helpful, I will have this provided in the article as well. I would love to hear everyone feedback.

Anti- Dither is the increment needed in order for an event to be considered still in motion. This is mainly used as a away to help prevent possible constant spamming while motion is taking place. Without this feature the camera would not know when motion is still part of a nevent and think each motion as its own event. A normal 30 second clip can essentially have 30 individual clips or more if Anti dither was not present.

Just to clarify a little further about a recording, a recording event will encompass several factors and as long the camera detects motion it will continue recording and keep it together as one file. This is why we recommend when reviewing push notifications that have just occurred, to allow some time before trying to review the recording. I personally like having push notification set on Live view and then go to playback if it seems necessary to further review. Any further expansion on this would most likely be best on a different topic.

Now to get getting back to specifically to Anti Dither, I will use an example scenario to further explain how Anti dither works with motion detection and affect recordings. for example, If Anti Dither is set to 5 seconds and I am waving my hand at the camera to create a motion event.

As soon as the camera detects motion ( Start waving my hand), the event will begin, then if the motion stops before the 5 seconds the event will go into a temporary closed phase, post record will take over for its set amount, if any motion is still not detected during that set time, it will finalize the event, create the recording, save it to the storage that it is set to ( most commonly would be SD card for IP cameras or HDD for DVR/NVRs).

On the other hand if any motion continues to takes place after the 5 seconds, it will continue consider the event active and continue the recording.

If no motion is detected after 5 seconds but it detects motion during the post record phase, it will drop the temporary close phase, consider itself active again, and continue recording.

In both of the last cases, the event recording would not available to review until it has gone through the entire process, finalize the event, and create the file, and then save it to the set location.

I hope this is able to help the community better understand how this setting works.
kurak38

Post by kurak38 »

How does it work without video recording set? Only when I have snapshots.
I am trying to achieve to get email every X seconds when motion is happening, how to do it?
ghstinshll

Post by ghstinshll »

Mildew wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:20 pm No, that's not the correct for Amcrest cameras. The Anti-dither is the amount of time the camera stays triggered. For example, if the anti-dither is set for 30 seconds, the camera will record for 30 seconds.
Glad to know, is there a setting for how far previous to the event, my Synology will keep the clip of the event?