What do you do with an unused power connector?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
orangekay

What do you do with an unused power connector?

Post by orangekay »

Setting up a IP5M-B1276EW-AI--hardwired cabling splits off to a female RJ-45 jack and a barrel jack. I will not be using the barrel jack for anything and don't want it blowing against the wall in the wind. Am I supposed to cut it off? Will having cut ends short the power leads together as soon as it rains? What is the point of this silly Y cable? Do people actually buy PoE cameras without knowing what PoE is? Why isn't there anything about this in the manual?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: What do you do with an unused power connector?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Couple things, don't cut off the plug if you want warranty on that camera. Poe cameras can be damaged on POE circuit and having the 12v power inlet will let you test out if the camera is good dead or just poe damaged. In the last month just repaired 2 full sized PTZ cameras that were poe dead now both cameras are working again on POE.
If cut off there is risk of damage by water. However same could be said for exposed jack over time if facing in a way water can enter.
Be Safe.
orangekay

Post by orangekay »

So let's walk through your reasoning here:

Cut it off and the camera's going to break.

Leave it unconnected and the cameras going to break.

Care to offer a third option which will not result in a broken camera? I'm a little bit baffled as to what part of that response you thought was going to be helpful.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

It's an aux power connector for use under certain circumstances -- especially if POE is unavailable for whatever reasons. It should be left in place and protected from the elements if exposed as should the ethernet connection -- obviously. The 12V connector typically includes a protective cap, though they are hardly weatherproof and require additional measures to keep water out. Use your imagination.

Or just cut it off and see how long the camera lasts with an exposed and unterminated power cabler blowing in the wind and rain.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Walk through my REasonnig? Well First and most important is doing so will VOID your Warranty.
Second I said Cutting it off (Didn't say but with some Critical Thinking) leaving the Exposed WIRE AREA over time will cause damage to the camera
Third Leaving the 12v Power jack in place and exposed to RAIN by not being installed correctly can also cause damage..

Little bit of Information Processing could conclude that buying a water proof back box or making sure the wire ends are not exposed to the outside should keep the camera working for years to come.

I think Pogo understood what I was saying. as his post was in finer detail. Wish you luck on what ever you choose to do with your Cameras Connector.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Sometimes there's just not a big enough stick...
orangekay

Post by orangekay »

Pogo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:45 pm It's an aux power connector for use under certain circumstances -- especially if POE is unavailable for whatever reasons. It should be left in place and protected from the elements if exposed as should the ethernet connection -- obviously. The 12V connector typically includes a protective cap, though they are hardly weatherproof and require additional measures to keep water out. Use your imagination.

Or just cut it off and see how long the camera lasts with an exposed and unterminated power cabler blowing in the wind and rain.
The camera is designed and marketed as being directly mountable to a vertical surface in outdoor locations.

The camera is sold with a cord configuration which literally makes this impossible to do.

Illiterate people are vehemently defending this design on the internet.

Couldn't imagine anything stupider if I tried.
orangekay

Post by orangekay »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:55 pm Walk through my REasonnig? Well First and most important is doing so will VOID your Warranty.
Second I said Cutting it off (Didn't say but with some Critical Thinking) leaving the Exposed WIRE AREA over time will cause damage to the camera
Third Leaving the 12v Power jack in place and exposed to RAIN by not being installed correctly can also cause damage..

Little bit of Information Processing could conclude that buying a water proof back box or making sure the wire ends are not exposed to the outside should keep the camera working for years to come.

I think Pogo understood what I was saying. as his post was in finer detail. Wish you luck on what ever you choose to do with your Cameras Connector.

Learn English or stop typing.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

The mounting is designed to be done by someone who has a clue.

Now go away.
cklages

Post by cklages »

I would use electrical tape or a waterproof tape and just tape the lead to the other cable, covering the connector also.