What are the differences in the two place to configure event recording?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
IMTheNachoMan

What are the differences in the two place to configure event recording?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I can set motion event recording in two places:
  • Event > Video Detection
  • Storage > Schedule
What is the difference? The first one has a button for scheduling and recording and the second one lets me specify event for recording schedule.

So I am not sure what the difference between the two is?

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: What are the differences in the two place to configure event recording?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So on the Recording Schedule page is what you need to setup for what types of recordings you want! If you want Motion only then you would need to make that and then in the Motion area you would need to have that setup for the times you want motion... It is normally setup that you have Motion Schedule under the Event tab setup for full time all the time..

Then the system will look at your Schedule if you want motion to record say only Sat and Sun because there is no one in the area of camera them days and any motion would be something worth looking at.. Or maybe you want Motion after hours say 22-0600 and full time recording from there on.. The thing to remember is if you don't have motion full time recording in the event area and you want motion pictures full time without the schedule under event setup for full time the pictures wouldn't get recorded then..

So again in the Motion tab under events. Change that to full time

The camera or Recorder looks at the Storage Schedule as to what you want at what times.. Green will be for full time and yellow will be motion then when you do a search in playback you can sort out motion only by clicking on the yellow motion events if you listed them all or even search only for motion..

Just remember that most times the Recorders come up for full time JPG images and will fill up your Drive space so I would also double check the Snapshot schedule and make sure it is only setup for motion... and or motion and alarm...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

But then what does the "Record" option under "Event > Video Detection" mean?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Record Delay is how long you want your Recording to record when motion is detected.. So depending on your type of camera and the area you were recording and if it is only motion setup or if the camera is setup for full time recording..

So take for instance on my cameras with Mic built in or ones I have added If I have that camera in an area that my FOV is shallow I will record longer motion delay times to pick up sounds that are out of the cameras FOV but there could still be sounds going..

For cameras that I don't have MIC on I will normally do longer times if there is a chance of someone returning to the cameras FOV..

FOV (Field of View)

So keep in mind that there is PRE-EVENT record as well.. So in the camera or Recorder area there is a leading time of recording for an event. Say it is 4 seconds and your post record is 10 then your total time should be 14 seconds if your event was say a fast passing car however if your car took 10 seconds to pass then your record time would be around 19 seconds give or take..

What is involved?
Pre-Record
Anti Dither
Post Record
These times work together to get a total record time and can make things hard to know just how long it will record but in theory if your event happens for 1 minute your record time should be 1min 14 seconds...
Be Safe
IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

ReNot "Record Delay" but the "Record" checkbox above it.

Seems to me I can do two things:
  • Event > Video Detection > Motion Detection then Enable, click Setup next to Schedule to specify when I want motion detection and then click the Record box to have it record at that time.
  • Storage > Schedule > Record Schedule then click Setup and check the Motion box to schedule when motion is recording.
I do not get what is the difference in these two?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I am sorry but your not understanding what that Check box is for.. That is the Record Delay CHECK BOX... That isn't Checked you will not have any recording of your MOTION EVENT...
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

To maybe help understand better... Some people have the Recording setup full time.. However they want Motion Logs.. So they can setup an Motion event to log and not record because they are full time recording.. When you have Full time Recording going and you Enable Motion Recording your Records will be broke up and some people want it to be total Full time however they want the Event Logged for being able to look over the Logs for tracking down an event time..

Then there are people that don't Record FULL time only Record Events.. Care less about logs seeing only logs 1024 events unless it is a NVR or DVR then it will log forever but still only give you a set amount of events per search..
Be Safe
IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

That is not what the instruction manual says.
  • Record: This checkbox allows the user to enable the camera to record video when a motion detection alarm is triggered.
  • Record Delay: This field specifies in seconds how long the delay between alarm activation and recording should be.
So if the "Record" checkbox is checked, then that means it will record if motion is detected. So what would "Storage > Schedule > Record Schedule" do then.
IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 pm To maybe help understand better... Some people have the Recording setup full time.. However they want Motion Logs.. So they can setup an Motion event to log and not record because they are full time recording.. When you have Full time Recording going and you Enable Motion Recording your Records will be broke up and some people want it to be total Full time however they want the Event Logged for being able to look over the Logs for tracking down an event time..

Then there are people that don't Record FULL time only Record Events.. Care less about logs seeing only logs 1024 events unless it is a NVR or DVR then it will log forever but still only give you a set amount of events per search..
Okay. I see. This makes sense. I think I get it now.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

The Storage Schedule is so you can PICK what you want at what times for different types of times days event types and what not...

However lets just say you have your Storage setup to Record Motion. but you don't check the Box for Motion your MOTION will not Record PERIOD.....

However if it is setup to Record in the Events section for how long it is to record when an event happens then it will Record if you have it Scheduled to be recorded..

Then that time again Plus the Pre Record should be total after Event has ended.. So 1 min event, should be 1min 14 seconds..
Be Safe