Two different model cameras died the same way weeks apart.

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
nfored

Two different model cameras died the same way weeks apart.

Post by nfored »

Has anyone else seen this behavior in their cameras? is 2 year life about the expected life time of these cameras?

TLDR : cameras continue to draw power, but wont establish an ethernet link.

I am not sure why this is happening I have in the last 3 weeks had to replace two poe cameras, funny thing is one was the oldest and one was the newest. By oldest I mean just around 2 years old and the newest was around 1.5 years. Both died in the same way the poe continues to draw power but the ethernet link shows not connected in the switch.

The first one died the night my ups ran out of battery so I thought well maybe it died because the poe switch allowed a brown out. The second one just simply went offline. If I cycle the power I see the link for a moment then the link drops, the first camera that died the link would stay up for around 30 to 40 seconds the second less than 3 seconds.

One camera was in the attic pointing out a vent so completely protected from the weather, the second was under the awning on the front door, mainly protected. no corrosion on the ethernet terminals on the male or female side. I took apart the first camera to see if anything looked off inside "like I would know" not sure what I was hoping to see lol. The first camera before I took it apart I tried powering from 12v and form a dedicated separate poe injector.

If I had to guess I would say the ethernet chip just died, I had an old xbox 360 that happened on one day simply wouldn't link any more.
nfored

Update

Post by nfored »

Now I am really confused, the second camera that died, literally just started working again. I never dismounted it as I was expecting my replacement camera to show up today and for thieves sometimes just seeing a camera is enough. So the camera sat dead for about 26 hours and then just comes back to life?

The first one it was left on for days and never came back, switched cables and switch ports nothing brought it back. I think I will hold on to the replacement just in case.
patric

Re: Two different model cameras died the same way weeks apart.

Post by patric »

Look at the possibility of an issue with Daylight Saving Time.

https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 4-s30.html