Turn off IR LEDS from Linux

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Pete6

Turn off IR LEDS from Linux

Post by Pete6 »

Hi all. First post here.

I have just bought a Amcrest 5MP UltraHD Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera with Mic/Audio, 5-Megapixel,
98ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (256GB), White (IP5M-T1179EW-28MM) camera from Amazon. I hav not receive the camera yet so I don't know the model number - sorry

I intend using it at my remote astronomical observatory. It is essential that I can turn off the IR LEDs.
The camera will run into a Linux PC and there is no access to the web other than by accessing and viewing it from the Linux device. Viewing will be done using VLC and access via VNC or similar.

I do not have the Android app.

How can I turn off the LEDs please? I do not mind writing my own Linux code if I know what string to send to the camera
to turn the LEDS on or off. I have also hear that it is possible to change the IR LED transmitting wavelength to
940 nm from 850nm. How is this done please?

Thanks for yoyr help.
Pete
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Turn off IR LEDS from Linux

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

First to your last question I am not sure where you heard that the Amcrest camera will work on the Covert 940nm wave Last I knew all Amcrest cameras are designed to work on the 850nm.. It isn't as easy as telling software that you want IR to work at a different wave without the hardware supporting it..

So I am sure you know what you need if you have not already setup your box to be able to convert this info.. like having ssh and edit of your .htaccess

Turn on light:
http://ip address/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Lighting[0][0].FarLight[0].Light=10&
Lighting[0][0].NearLight[0].Light=65&Lighting[0][0].Mode=Manual
Shift the light to ZoomPrio mode:
http://ip address/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Lighting[0][0].Correction=50&Lighti
ng[0][0].Mode=ZoomPrio

While I am not sure if your camera has the ZoomPrio sorry that is my commands for one of my 850EBs in the backyard.

So commands would be

Manual, Auto, Off, ZoomPrio, Timing, SmartLight, LInkLight
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Pete6

Post by Pete6 »

Thank you for your reply. The information you give at the end of your post looks as if it is what I need. When the camera shows up I'll try it and post back with the results.

As to changing the frequency of the IR LEDs, I am sure there are IR LEDs that two emitters in them but I doubt they have been installed in cameras in this price range. Such a device would be similar to an IR version of an RGB LED, Never seen one though.

Where did I see this information? It was in the last post of this thread https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 13282.html
Thanks again.
Pete
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I have 940nm Blaster with 40leds and I only have 1 POS camera that uses that wave form. While you can't see the LED's by the naked eye you can see them with a camera lens looking at the IR. However the Camera running in B/W at night will get no useful light from it. You want like the 850nm IR Blaster if your looking to use external IR and then just setting the leds off in the camera with what I posted above will use external IR at night and keep the leds of the camera off. 850nm is what Amcrest hardware supports.
Be Safe
Pete6

Post by Pete6 »

I agree. 940 is definitely at the low frequency end for an IR LED. They are available today in that wavelength but most of them that I have encountered have been around 800-850nm. Obviously they cannot be see with the naked eye and I use my phone camera to test remote controls. With most phones and most IR LEDs they do show up when the are energized.

I'm going to forget changing IR LED wavelengths. The further away from the visible spectrum I get the happier my astro camera will be so 940nm would have been useful given visible is roughly between 400 and 700nm.

I'll just concentrate on making the LEDS go on and off when I want them. Thanks again.
Pete6

Post by Pete6 »

Hi,

My camera has arrived. The box says it is an IPM5-T1179EW-28MM.

I downloaded two Amcrest apps and one (Amcrest Smart Home) is asking for a QR code which was on the IP cable and was not recognized by the app neither was the device model or serial recognized by the app when I entered it manually. The other app (Amcrest View Pro) just wanted IP address, Username/Password - much more sensible. However this app does not seem to have a way of turning off the IR LEDS.

I tried you url links and after logging in I just got the single word "Error" displayed.

If this carries on, I shall return the camera. Amcrest should do better than this.
Pete6

Post by Pete6 »

Later...

Using the web UI it is possible to turn the IR LED Off or On again. There are several options here and it does what I want. I can now delete the Android apps and just use the browser.

I have no idea why my serial number did not work but I now have what I need. Thank you very much for your help.
Pete
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So Smart Home app is for Smart home cameras. That camera is a Standard CCTV (Security Camera) so yes the AVP is the app you want to use.

Personally if your going to have your camera connected to the network and have access over the internet I would personally remove the camera from your app, setup again on the app this time changing the option that says IP it is a drop down box and P2P is an option. Then scan the SN and setup using SN and not the IP this way you can get push and access from outside of your own network...

About the WebUI logging into the camera via IP address, then you can click the setup top right area, might be a Gear Icon or say setup. in the camera area there is an option for your cameras IR, If you want the camera to have B/W on and no IR then you will want to move to the area that says IR, Then change from Smart IR to Manual, Then change to 0 this will lave your camera in B/W at night and not have IR on. However if you want the camera to be in Color at night then don't click on IR click on Day/Night and change that option from Auto to Color. This will keep your camera in full time color and not give any IR
Be Safe
Pete6

Post by Pete6 »

Ahh, you have just explained why the Smart Home app did not like my new camera. Thank you.

I do not intend my camera to be anywhere near the internet. It lives in an observatory behind my router which itself is behind the main facility router so, two firewalls one of which I have no access to. I have a Raspberry Pi that controls the observatory. It controls the Warm Room temperature, shows me an internal webcam, handles the power supply on the telescope pier (instead of a tripod I have a concrete pillar called a pier). I access this ans two other computers via Real VNC.

To view the camera in question I would VNC into the Pi and use its browser to access the camera. This camera is mainly there to allow me to see that the roll-off roof is not going to hit my telescopes as it moves. Yes I have automatics to make sure this does not happen but, I believe that Murphy was an optimist so I'll use the eyeball test just make sure.

The observatory may be operated remotely so I really do need to see what is actually happening as things move. The On/Off LED question was important to me because I need the LEDS on to see the telescopes and the rolling roof and then I need them off when I start observing.

Long explanation. Sorry but you have given me much help and I felt I owed you at least that.

Thanks again. I have what In need.

Pete