SD Recording Fragmented

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
patric

SD Recording Fragmented

Post by patric »

I noticed continuous recordings from my camera to its internal SD card look like they are shot full of holes, with big random gaps where the recording stopped. Motion detection is not enabled, and the green bar indicates that it is the continuous recording that is fragmented.
What could be causing this? Is this what failing SD cards look like in the Amcrest firmware? The SD card is about 7 months old. The camera is an IP8M-T2499E.
fragmented-1.jpg
fragmented-1.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
amcrest168

Re: SD Recording Fragmented

Post by amcrest168 »

curious to learn what kind of sd card do you have? from my own experience, i only get sandisk and lexar branded micro sd cards because they seem to be more dependable. perhaps you can test with another sd card to check if the recordings remain fragmented. if not, then it could be your sd card.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

You have an NVR connected with your cameras or just your Camera recording to MSD?

I have not looked at my Cameras MSD for long time but don't remember any of them showing Manual setting for playback...

Personally I would double check that your Camera is setup for Auto Recordings. you mention that your Schedule is setup for full time record and not motion.. So I would Log into your cameras WebUI, Go to Setup, Storage, then Next to Record Mode, I would change that from Manual to Auto. Then your recordings should be setup Green from now on as Full time Recordings and as long as your setup M-Sun 24/7 recording it should showup in your playback as such.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
patric

Post by patric »

Im recording to both an NVR and a 128G Samsung evo select.
The NVR recordings dont seem to be adversely affected.
Swapping memory cards from a mounted camera I have to take down and disassemble is not my first choice so Im trying to examine other options prior to doing so.
Isnt Manual recording the default for continuous recording?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No you want to setup Auto for always to record

It almost sounds like there is a issue with some type of connection and that is why the Manual Record turns on when there is a connection issue as a Back up of there is an issue with recording to the connected device...

Please ensure that your setup for Auto, and that your cables to your network for the cameras are True Cat5e or 6a cables and that they are not CCA.. You will be able to know if cat 5e if it is CCA or not by pressing on the cable if it can go flat and rolling your cable between your thumb and finger it feels like the cable isn't twisted be sure to use a good copper cable CCA isn't good for POE or network cameras at all..
Be Safe
patric

Post by patric »

This seems to have started around Halloween with cameras set to manual working fine until then, and no changes in cable.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

patric wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:43 pm I noticed continuous recordings from my camera to its internal SD card look like they are shot full of holes, with big random gaps where the recording stopped. Motion detection is not enabled, and the green bar indicates that it is the continuous recording that is fragmented.
What could be causing this? Is this what failing SD cards look like in the Amcrest firmware? The SD card is about 7 months old. The camera is an IP8M-T2499E.
fragmented-1.jpg
Your snapshot shows the line color for Manual which is not green.
The "normal" way to record continuously is:
Go to Storage setting.
In Schedule, set up General(green) recording. It must be saved in Setup if used, AND on the screen with the green line in it.
In Destination, set SD card for General recording.
In Record Control, set to Auto.
patric

Post by patric »

jack7 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm Your snapshot shows the line color for Manual which is not green.
The "normal" way to record continuously is:
Go to Storage setting.
In Schedule, set up General(green) recording. It must be saved in Setup if used, AND on the screen with the green line in it.
In Destination, set SD card for General recording.
In Record Control, set to Auto.
You were right about the "green" line; Very subtle color difference between the two.
Ive made the changes you suggested and thank you for the clear instructions.
Ill let this cook for a while and follow up.

At some point I know an SD card in continuous read/write mode will fail, im just hoping its not quite this soon.
patric

Post by patric »

jack7 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm The "normal" way to record continuously is:
Well damn I really thought that might have worked.
Recording is steady for about a day and a half and then starts to unravel:
playback-1.jpg
playback-1.jpg (81.3 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
At least now I know I have it set correctly.
auto-1.jpg
auto-1.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
schedule-1.jpg
schedule-1.jpg (83.05 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

While I know this is or the writing is for a POE camera...

Is it connected to a Managed Switch?? What does the logs tell you for the day it is having the issues?

Willing to backup the logs and PM the text file to me so I can look at the Text? It is ok if your not wanting to do that.. Just the log files and your picture there might shed more light for things to be better understood..
Be Safe