Repairing old IP cameras.

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Repairing old IP cameras.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I have had a IP camera that is a manual VF 2.7-12mm in use for many years. When I had an issue during a storm in the NW it took out 3 of my cameras 2 were connected over POE on the NVR and 1 was outside of the area where I needed a few camera over 1 cable so I had 3 others connected 12v and a 8port Managed switch.

So this camera is kind of unique in the way I used to buy cameras years ago. 98% of my older IP cameras I bought if they offered Analog outputs. Before meeting Amcrest anyway. So back in the day 2014 was the last FW update on this camera lol when I bought a few of my Dahua cameras that was my requirement. This camera has a 960h output on the cable bundle and is POE af, 12v and 24v dual voltage was another requirement normally not always. However the reason I mention this is because with my camera when it went bad I was able to test it and know that the camera still worked in Analog mode. I could power the camera on over POE 12v and 24v so at first I thought it might be an issue with the Ethernet Transformer. (It Wasn't)

So one of the things that I have said from the start when you're trouble shooting IP cameras or any cameras that is. TO double check the wiring going into the camera. First thinking that it powers up over POE then it couldn't be the Ethernet port, Right? Looking at the port it is rough, I mean it is 8 year old camera lol. However they are clean-ish for being 8 years old anyway.. So this camera a Bullet, need to take off the front to access the Micro SD card area and the VF screws. To get to the back 4 screws and 2 large wire connectors on to the PCB. After testing the RJ-45 jack sure enough one of the wires didn't tone out. So I cut open the wire jacket and find it is the Blue wire. Cut it and test wire to jack no good, wire to cable connector leading to the camera PCB and good.

So for now I have it repair with some Waga Connectors and some cat5e that I connected up to make sure the camera would come to life. And it did.

Now this camera is a 3mp camera with 2.7 - 12mm lens that is why it just didn't get round filed or e-wasted.. Also because of the normal BNC I could have used it on my DVR as a 960h camera. I mean I have had lower quality cameras as 960h camera lol.. However if this camera wasn't with a huge bundle of cables I would find some replacement to have it like new again. However this camera on the wire bundle has, Audio in/Out, Alarm 1-2 in and 1 out. Also has Reset button, RJ-45, BNC and power plug for 12-24v so it isn't just the run of the mill cable setup with a couple of wires for ethernet and power or with only audio as well. While it works it would need to be used in an area that has open access to hide the cables because of the way I had to repair the RJ-45 connection for now. I will one day change it out even if I have to loose the BNC and Reset. I could take some Hikvision wire harness without the reset in it and wire it for the Dahua Camera.. I mean I have a 4mp AI camera that eats Micro SD cards that has all connection on the wires besides the reset and I could just move that to the Front of the camera by the VF lens and Micro SD slot area with little effort.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Pogo

Re: Repairing old IP cameras.

Post by Pogo »

That's a very inspiring post for me. LOL

I wish I had such determination, not to mention the knowledge and skill that comes with so much experience. Very cool of you to take the time to just toss that out for general consumption.

I'm still a little lost with that Dahua board and surprised there aren't more places that repair cameras. Then again. there isn't much money in spending an hour or two repairing a cheap homeowner camera that may only cost $50~$60 to begin with. But I hate having to trash stuff that still may have a usable life left with just a simple repair -- if I only knew how to repair it! Drives me nuts, but I'm getting better at recognizing a lost cause when I see one.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well there are very few things that cam go wrong with Amalog cameras from the stand point of power board. If you have another camera of same or like kind test the camera to make sure you're not fighting a already lost fight. I will go pull one of my 4x and 10x cameras to show what I mean. While one us dome and other is bullet I can use one one the other to test that the camera works even though the zoom uses different platform.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So here is some things that may or may not help in others trying to fix things. Here are 2 pictures. In the top picture taken today from a 10x zoom Bullet camera 2mp from 12-2014 so this was really sold in 2015. The Dome camera is also 2mp however it is only a 4x zoom camera and if you look at the 2 cameras they are different only in the Zoom format. One has normal cable (wires) where the other is the Ribbon type. That is because the 10x zoom camera was static to the PCB for the main board where the dome camera the Zoom lens is on a mount off the main PCB and needs to be able to move right left and up and down for setting the camera position on install.

However what is important is that these cameras were on the same format, TVI and that they both have a 40 pin camera connection again different type of cable but same type of connector for them..

So if you have an issue with one of the cameras working on the PCB it comes with then you can confirm if the camera is damaged at the sensor or if it was PCB for system. While testing this way you can see if the camera works at the sensor level however function of the zoom is only cable and motor and not normally an issue anyway but this will open the camera and let it see that it works if it didn't then you know there is no need to Repair unless you work on CMOS or CCD sensors. (Not in my pay grade)..

Then something I wanted to point out in Second picture. This is back side of the main power board of 2 different IP cameras. One is 2mp and other is 4mp and both are Bullet style cameras with zoom lens. What matters is at times if you have a camera that isn't working and you think it is the Power Board then one even from different companies might have same power board. what is important is that they are setup for the same connection. Then testing with new board will tell if it is Power board related issue or camera level issue.
20230323_180633_resized.jpg
20230323_180633_resized.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3124 times
20230319_025854_resized.jpg
20230319_025854_resized.jpg (955.79 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I thought I would also put in the Bullet board. One of the biggest difference between the 2 cameras is 1 is with heater where in the end 180633 picture you can see on the PCB the heater connection and Circuit for it along with the Opto-coupler is missing from the Dome. The Bullet has the heater. I have another one of the domes at one of my other locations where I added in the heater circuit and the little heater mats that I found online from Omega Silicon or something like that. Also thought I would upload a close up of the connector before someone says it didn't happen lol. While on one side it says 39 it is a 40 pin connector as you can see on the other side of it.. So the Dome and Bullet use the same camera connector and was why I was able to test the one with the bad PCB on the dome PCB.

This is the way the bullet camera is connected and you can see in the first picture the ribbon cable connects to the bottom of the Bullet PCB. Where the dome one is as I said before with wires and is the connector right below the camera connector marked JP9 in the first picture above. Then the second picture here is of the connector on the bullet PCB close up to show 39 on 1 side and 40 on the other.
20230323_185101_resized.jpg
20230323_185101_resized.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3122 times
20230323_185227_resized.jpg
20230323_185227_resized.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3122 times
Be Safe
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I appreciate all the input and generally understand the redneckery involved with mixing and matching stuff just to isolate a problem to a given area of a device. Problem is, I don't have anything remotely similar to the Dahua power board even for just a quick and dirty test of the camera.

The one thing I do know is the camera would drag down a 4-way 12v supply to nothing when plugged in. Same thing with the power board all by itself with no camera connections. I think you're right about the first diode being involved as it tests shorted to ground from either end in continuity mode and shorted shut in diode test mode.

You mentioned pulling that diode as a test. What's involved besides pulling the diode? Just jump across the contact points with a piece of bus wire and plug it in?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Before the day is over my son should return from my cabin where I had him swap out a couple of cameras. 1 is 1.3mp dahua dome camera maybe it was 720p either way and one is a 2mp dome CVI dahua camera. He would have been home already but said he stopped off for lunch at a place he likes to dine..

Anyway I pulled a few of my other cameras apart looking for something I could do some testing on while they are kind of the same in theory they have different circuit components and the test wouldn't be the same..

Answer no a Buss wire would not work. That would be a Short to Ground if you were to place it on a Diode spot on the PCB.. So something to look at. If the diode is dead to ground and is pulling your system offline when you plug in, 1 I would use a Fused line in for testing. Resetting fuse for best results. However follow the line where that diode you think is dead. Check to see if there is anything on that line that could be pulling the system to ground. What is odd is that your fuse hasn't shorted and if it did then it to might have shorted to ground but that would be interesting to see in the cameras. Normally as they intend it would blow open and not short to ground.

Anyway something I thought I better ask. Did you test this with the PCB unplugged from the cables in. I ask because one of the first things I do while testing cameras that are not working is I tone out the wiring for the camera. (Unplug the cameras wires from PCB and make sure there is no short in the cable) It happens more then people think. Some times it is a Short open. However there are times where the camera has heated the power wires and the 2 wires have fused together.. So that could be an issue as well..

As soon as my son gets back home I will take these 2 CVI cameras apart and maybe with any luck one of them will have a main board like yours (Not 100% but enough that I can get some info off it)
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Next time I will just ask him to take pictures before he takes them down. Both of them a VF cameras that only have 1 board and that is because unlike other cameras like yours that has more options or something where these are just camera board with IR and in the case of these 2 have 2.7 to 12mm manual VF lenses. Outside of that they are just plain. He did also take down my Dahua Bullet camera. I think it is really only a single board camera setup as well but I will take it apart to see if it has anything to offer. While it wouldn't be 100% like yours it might have something that I could do some testing on. Some of my older cameras if I blow them up no great loss. The Motorized ones would require me to fix them if I blow them up.. lol..
20230324_173314_resized.jpg
20230324_173314_resized.jpg (996.93 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I am batting 0 today lol.

But here is something that I want to say. I took this camera and with my soldering tweezers I shorted out the TVS diode that starts with LF in my picture next to the green Fuse. Once I did that causing the camera to clamp that voltage to ground the camera went offline once I removed the short (No damage was caused to camera or diode) the camera and voltage from my Power supply returned and camera came back online.
20230324_190214_resized.jpg
20230324_190214_resized.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3107 times
Be Safe
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Look at all familiar? From what I've been able to track down from the info included with the listing on Face Book it would seem to be a Hik OEM rebranded as IPOSTER 5MP PoE PTZ w/18x zoom (plus 30x digital) and a pretty formidable camera if working properly. The guy has it listed for $25/parts only -- "powers up but won't maintain network connection". Messaged him and offered $10. He's pretty vague about answering questions just saying "all it needs is a new network board." Really? Then why don't you just put one in it and have a nice little $180.00 camera for yourself then?

So would you happen to have "a network board" for this thing just laying around or know where parts might be sourced?
Hik PTZ.jpg
Hik PTZ.jpg (66.58 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Hik PTZ 2.jpg
Hik PTZ 2.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 3041 times