Power faiilure, then no cameras

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
rockyp

Power faiilure, then no cameras

Post by rockyp »

I have an NVR, Model NV4108-HS, connecting 6 outdoor wireless cameras, model IP4M-1026, and 2 indoor cameras, model IP2M-841W. I have set fixed IP addresses for all devices. They were working for a few months, then we had a power failure. Now, all 6 outdoor cameras are no longer working - they do have power. The indoor camera wired with Cat5 is working okay.
When I look at the camera setup menu on the DVR, the wireless cameras don't show up. When I do a device search, nothing appears. When I look at the router and check connected devices, the cameras do not appear there. It's as if all cameras lost their wifi settings when the power went off.
Any ideas what may have happened, or how to restore the cameras without having to bring every one down from its mounted locations and inside to set them up again? I'm not happy climbing the ladder to bring them down!!
Thanks!
rockyp

Re: Power faiilure, then no cameras

Post by rockyp »

Also, if I do a manual add using the fixed AP addresses, I get the message "Cannot find the network host"...
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Are you able to cut power to them one by one? It may be that they came back in the wrong order compared to your router. Just thing that maybe they tried for wifi signal but router wasn't ready, so they have a wrong IP.
Were the IPs reserved in your router, based on each camera's MAC address? With the router fully booted, when a camera comes back from power cycle, it should ask for IP assignment and be given what it is set to get.
"I might be moving to Montana soon."
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly this is hard to tell...

First Hello and Welcome to the Forum...

So that leads me to what I think it might be... cameras and NVR setup at one time over your Router and set up working without issue for some time. Problem I think think is that maybe your DNS and or DHCP info for your router changed after power outage and your Cameras are on a Different Subnet or Segment from your current router... Then because you have your cameras setup with a Static IP the system can't find it. Then your DVR might be setup with Get IP from Router Automatic and so it was taken off the same Network info that your cameras were set to....

For me all my cameras besides the one I just Put NEW FW on last night and Set back to factory as stated all are on Static IP but I know the Road Map of the ips and if anything ever happen I would be able to get to them.... Give me a Second While I go move that Camera to a Static IP lol BRB or I will forget... OK back as I expected it was still set to DHCP as that is what it sets up at on Factory Defaults...

Ok so with that I would take your computer and make sure that your computer is set to the same Network area. Check your router make sure it isn't set for Denying access to all new connected devices like I have mine set to...

So incase you don't know how to look some things up I will explain if you know then no problem... First Press the Windows Key on your keyboard and R that will bring up a little window type in cmd then press enter. Now type ipconfig this will tell you your computers IP, subnet and Gateway info. Next you should know or maybe you know your ip to one of your cameras type in ping ipaddress and this should tell you if your computer and the camera can talk to one another. Should stop after 4 pings or fails if it don't press ctrl C to stop. Now all my Cameras that have the option have Arp turned on by default I think I can't remember... So if all else type in arp /a that should list things that have arp enabled and it will dispaly the ip of the device...

So I am not there I can't tell what you have or haven;'t don... I can not tell what you know or don't know so I offer this info as a way to try and help solve your problem
Be Safe.
rockyp

Post by rockyp »

Thank you both for your replies. I need to add to my description - I just wasn't sure I would get any replies, so kept my post a bit shorter. I am a retired software developer and network manager, so my level of knowledge is pretty high. Also, my level of frustration with wireless security camera systems (this is my second one) is also pretty high! :-)
My router assigns DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.99 to .254. The addresses below 99 are used for static IP devices. My NVR is at .30, and the cameras are .41 to .48. I have not used any MAC addressing, as I thought IP addressing was sufficient. Yes, my PC and the router and all devices are 192.168.1.xxx.

Oh oh… I think I may have stumbled onto something... I'll work on it and report back.
rockyp

Post by rockyp »

Ok, what I stumbled on was old documentation from my initial install, where I had a different ISP and modem/router. Back then (many months ago), the IP range was 192.168.0.xxx, so I thought the cameras may still be on that range. So I changed my router to 192.168.0.1, and then experimented trying to find the cameras at those addresses. I also changed the NVR to a .0.30 address. Still no luck. So I have now reset everything back to 192.168.1.xxx and still am stuck. I guess I'll take down the easiest camera to reach and bring it in to the NVR to see if I can see anything strange there...

If you have any other ideas, I'm listening!! :-)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I guess I am out of Idaes.. With you being Software Developer and Network manager I have nothing that I could add you don't already know...

Must have already ran your PINGS and ARP and detected more then I could offer someone with your background... Wish you luck

Maybe only thing I could say maybe the power to the cameras are missing or the Power Supply after Black out/Brown Out are now bad... If you didn't turn off the LED like I do maybe check that the cameras have LED on? Other then that you have more depth of background then I could offer any help on...
Be Safe.
rockyp

Post by rockyp »

I have learned that I never can discount anyone's ideas or experience. Thank you for your input!!

I'll post my results when I solve it so it may add to the accumulated knowledge here.