Playback from FTP server

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
disgustipated

Re: Playback from FTP server

Post by disgustipated »

I actually prefer shipping it off to my NAS and watching it another way, I have many other video players that I prefer. I think some of the major concern in this thread was the dav format which from more recent firmware that should not be an issue any longer with other formats available.
DWK

Post by DWK »

I have an Amcrest 941 IP camera and I must say the picture is AWESOME!!! If you only want an IP camera and only use the SD card to save and play back video and snapshots then I HIGHLY recommend.

BUT if you have an NAS and want to store files there for playback, forget it...software and firmware basically only play back from the SD card ... whaaaaaaaaaaaat!

COME ON! Playback should be able to play back from anywhere the app lets them be stored, SD - FTP - NAS. This feature is needed for this really great 941 camera to be a viable option for any serious user with a home NAS, which is VERY COMMON these days. And also fix NAS option to work WITHOUT having to enable the antiquated NFS protocol.

Being able to ONLY playback from the SD card is great if you want to have it disappear when someone steals it and now they have the ONLY pictures and video of themselves to send to the POPO! NOT KOOL!!!

I have a Qnap 251+ and it can find the camera, more or less, but even Qnap cannot support the high resolution in its Surveillance Station at this time as it connects and disconnects constantly unless you add the camera with setting set at a much lower resolution and frame rate (using FTP because I am not going to enable NFS on my server), so Qnap has some work to do also.

Until these options are added to the firmware, I cannot recommend Amcrest cameras to anyone wanting to save and view files from a NAS.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello DWK ,

Thank you for the feedback and we will definitely pass this on to oiur R&D. For now, you can use Amcrest Smart play software to conveniently play the files saved in NAS.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

DWK

Post by DWK »

No you cannot! Smart play will only work with local drive, not network. Also, it seems it only reads mjpg and dav files, as best I can tell.

Would love to know how!

Thanks
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello DWK,

Yes smart play only works with local drives. But if you have the drive mapped to PC, you should be able to get the Smart play to play those files.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

DWK

Post by DWK »

Melvin

I appreciate you trying to help.

A local drive is inside the computer. A network drive is not. A mounted network drive is not a local drive even if it is mounted with a letter like E:. Smart Play will NOT recognized ANY mounted or network drives. Even if you key in the full path to a file on a mounted drive it will not find the file. I have tried multiple ways of accessing a network drive and none of them work.

I would ask if this going to be an issue than can be addressed but I think it was asked a couple of years ago.

Thanks for trying.
silverfoxdj

Post by silverfoxdj »

Melvin I also have a QNAP 251+ and was looking to use an Amcrest IP3M-941B if this issue does not get fixed quickly I will have to pass on the product entirely
sharonds

Post by sharonds »

My 941 has an SD card and my settings are for it to overwrite when full. Instead of overwriting it is literally erasing the card and I lose all my files. Ridiculous. The 841 was a better camera when it came to saving files
dudley

Post by dudley »

Do you actually provide an application that is capable of reading video files? In particular one that allows calendar type navigation?

I have an IP2M-841. I've been able to get it setup to record via FTP both to a Mac OS and Raspberry Pi machines (though it always gives a read error when testing). The camera is recording video in mp4. I've tried using Smartview for Mac and it doesn't seem to even be able to play back mp4. Obviously I can use another application to play the files but it's a pain to go through individual files. Surely you a way to properly play back files?!?! I've tried downloading Smartview for Windows and the file won't even download!

These cameras have a great set of features and great picture quality but they seem designed to force you to use an NVR or Amcrest cloud. The documentation is truly horrible, the interfaces are poorly labelled and the network recording ability is absurdly limiting (only FTP and NFS????) Not supporting SMB and making the Camera interface unable to read from anything except the SD card, these are just absurd decisions!!

So tell me how you expect people to use these cameras.
Mojohos19

Post by Mojohos19 »

I thought it was just me. Glad to see they got the dav file thing fixed, but why have the dropdown that "defaults" to source SD card when that's the only option? I see this has been over 2 years. You would think it would pickup from the destination setup or at least make that an option in the dropdown. :twisted: