Playback drops upon motion detection

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
teveytevey

Playback drops upon motion detection

Post by teveytevey »

I am in an apartment and wanted a decent wifi camera solution since I cannot run Ethernet for PoE cameras. I ended up buying the Amcrest NV4108 NVR, four IP4M-1051W PTZ cameras, and one ASH-42 bullet camera.

So far, so good. The quality of camera image and connectivity in general is about what I would expect for wifi cameras with super saturated wifi signals everywhere. It does the job until we get our own property and I can properly run Ethernet.

However, my issue is with the motion detection and recording for playback. For whatever reason, without fail, the playback feed will cut out for about a full second every time motion detection is triggered. The motion detection feature is obviously super useful for notifying me when something is happening, but I end up missing a full second (sometimes more it seems) of what is going to be the most valuable footage for me. It does not seem to matter what the encoding settings are.

If it were random, I would say that this is a general wifi connectivity issue and accept it, but I suspect other problems considering the consistent cutout upon motion detection.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out at the moment.

Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Playback drops upon motion detection

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

So it is hard to pin point what an issue is with these devices without looking over the data as it happens.. So here is some things I would say I would start looking at..

First I would double check that your system has a good enough Pre Event record setup. Next are you working with Full time with Motion events? IF you are then it seems it can be an issue when it moves over from full time to motion on playback if your only in motion play back.. So I would use the motion events for an ability to pin point an event and once you find the right time, Then play back a few seconds before the start of the motion.

Then there is the question of your only recording Motions then have you made changes in the camera or the NVR in that relation. like Anti Dither is it really best to leave it at 5. Then in the MOTION for events I would leave the settings as it starts at and make very little adjustments for testing however make sure to run them test for at least 12 hours if you have good number of events in a day if not then run them for 24 hours for testing..

Ash42 is problematic and might be an issue over time and or always... The 1051 I have mine running and not in a normal way and I have a good connection with mine and never have lag or connection issues outside of some complex connection issues not related to the Wifi. I also have mine only 10 feet to the Router however it then goes though 2 switches before it makes it to my NVR.. I also run it on ASP at almost full time steam using the P2P connection. The playback is good and no issues with any time loss or jitter.. This camera I don't use a mSD like I do some of my others I also have it on a Constant 60sec FTP image to my FTP server and FTP on event as well from the camera and have used the email but now that snow and hard nights are here I have turned off the Push and emails for most of my cameras that work in IR at night.. all the Color at night cameras I leave the Push and email alerts active even in snow months..

For your setup I would double check that the Power is good, the cable from your router or switch to your NVR is good and that you have no wire mesh or loads of metal studs in your building and that your in a good range of your router..

I have loads of NVR's I just need to know is your 4108 a normal or HS? Is it a POE or non POE? What FW are you using on the camera and NVR. Do you have good Internet connection on the camera and NVR? or are you blocking the internet to the cameras?

What is the age of your HDD in the machine? is it a Security HDD or normal?
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Aww I just looked at my FTP server I noticed that yesterday I changed my every min Snap to once an hour and looking at the data from today only time I had 1 that was not 1 hour after the last was the last hour and that was because that camera just went though a weekly reboot that I have it setup for and was 4 min late for the upload but still did that upload after the system was online after the reboot. As I said this camera don't have a mSD installed right now so it is purely on its own accord. What I mean is some of my other devices with MSD will or can save as backup to the mSD card and once the connection to my FTP server is back online it will upload that data to the FTP server could be even the whole day.. So for the 1051 it is a Real time event..
Screenshot (1558).png
Screenshot (1558).png (43.46 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Be Safe
teveytevey

Post by teveytevey »

This is helpful information -- I appreciate the quick and thorough reply.

Part of the problem is likely my ignorance with the Amcrest interface and configuration. At my previous job, I worked with HikVision cameras that were all PoE so I didn't have to work with wifi considerations.
Revo2Maxx wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm First I would double check that your system has a good enough Pre Event record setup. Next are you working with Full time with Motion events? IF you are then it seems it can be an issue when it moves over from full time to motion on playback if your only in motion play back.. So I would use the motion events for an ability to pin point an event and once you find the right time, Then play back a few seconds before the start of the motion.
I'm not sure where to configure pre-event recording. I looked for it and can't seem to find it on the NVR settings.

What I'm looking at is the full time recording playback. I don't have separate motion event recordings configured yet, although I would like to do that once I get everything else working properly.
Revo2Maxx wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm Then there is the question of your only recording Motions then have you made changes in the camera or the NVR in that relation. like Anti Dither is it really best to leave it at 5. Then in the MOTION for events I would leave the settings as it starts at and make very little adjustments for testing however make sure to run them test for at least 12 hours if you have good number of events in a day if not then run them for 24 hours for testing..
Anti-dither is set to 5. What setting am I changing in the motion events for testing?
Revo2Maxx wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm Ash42 is problematic and might be an issue over time and or always... The 1051 I have mine running and not in a normal way and I have a good connection with mine and never have lag or connection issues outside of some complex connection issues not related to the Wifi. I also have mine only 10 feet to the Router however it then goes though 2 switches before it makes it to my NVR.. I also run it on ASP at almost full time steam using the P2P connection. The playback is good and no issues with any time loss or jitter.. This camera I don't use a mSD like I do some of my others I also have it on a Constant 60sec FTP image to my FTP server and FTP on event as well from the camera and have used the email but now that snow and hard nights are here I have turned off the Push and emails for most of my cameras that work in IR at night.. all the Color at night cameras I leave the Push and email alerts active even in snow months..

For your setup I would double check that the Power is good, the cable from your router or switch to your NVR is good and that you have no wire mesh or loads of metal studs in your building and that your in a good range of your router..
I don't suspect I am having any specific network problems as it performs well with all other devices, wired or wireless. I can't be certain of building construction in this apartment, although I suspect it's possible that there is some wire mesh or large steel beams that are affecting wireless signals. One of the cameras is only about 10-12 feet away from the router, but transmits through a wall and suffers some signal loss. I don't believe it would be that bad with only wood and drywall construction.
Revo2Maxx wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm I have loads of NVR's I just need to know is your 4108 a normal or HS? Is it a POE or non POE? What FW are you using on the camera and NVR. Do you have good Internet connection on the camera and NVR? or are you blocking the internet to the cameras?
Specific model number is NV4108-HS. It has no Ethernet ports on it -- using it only with wifi cameras. Firmware version is latest (V4.000.00AC000.0, Build Date: 2020-05-21) and all cameras have firmware updated. Internet connectivity is stable gigabit fiber. My firewall is blocking outbound connectivity with the cameras (I use a VPN to remote in and check cameras as needed). I'm not interested in making these devices directly visible to the internet. I do see attempts to contact the internet from these cameras periodically, but I assume this is because I set them up with Amcrest Cloud and Smart Home, which I need to disable.
Revo2Maxx wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm What is the age of your HDD in the machine? is it a Security HDD or normal?
I had considered this as a potential issue, maybe the drive is a performance bottleneck. It's a WD Green 2TB drive (an old drive I had in a previous SAN) so, no, it's not a security-branded HDD.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well this might be Problematic in 2 ways..

However lets first start with Pre-Record, Right click then choose Main Menu (Log in if you have to) then on the bottom of the screen Click on Storage, Then on the left of screen click on Schedule, then at the top make sure it is on REC as it should be if you were not looking at snapshots since last log in... Anyway here next to the channel number D1 and so on is Pre-Record... Also in there you will see your Schedule for your NVR. I would look at your channels and see if they are with Green and Yellow if they are then they will be setup for Full and Motion.

So first thing I would check is that your cameras are setup with h.265 turned off and I would setup the 1051 to run in h.264h.
Next something to look at. My 1051 don't want to work well with 5g if yours is setup in 5g maybe drop to 2.4 and see if there is any issues it might just be my camera. I mean mine had issue with MIC right out of the box..

HDD might be an issue but I would make the changes above for testing and see if that works better. As a place to start...

Edit: Also forgot, Internet might be another issue. Normally if the camera is on the NVR POE port no issue something in the NVR makes camera think it is on the internet but with new FW of 2019 or newer no connection to the internet might be an issue.. Thought I had posted this already but didn't thought I better add...
Be Safe