P2P "Failed to connect"

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
ParkinNJ

Re: P2P "Failed to connect"

Post by ParkinNJ »

You may want to try IP/Domain port forwarding. I took Jeffee's suggestion and after contacting tech support (for the 4th time), the IP/Domain port forwarding has been flawless. I can connect to my two ProHDs using the Amcrest View Lite app on my iPhone (using cell data) within seconds. Honestly, I planned on returning my cameras but it's been working well with the new connection. You may want to try this before returning the cameras.
pup wrote:I have been having issues like this as well. It is frustrating as hell for me, because I am new and still struggling to get this set up in the first place. I spoke to Benjamin as well, on Friday. He said there were P2P issues. If this is as good as it's going to be, I'm sending this thing right back. I knew I shouldn't have ordered another one. I thought after ben got me working Friday I was good to go. Nope. I had to move the camera to it's permanent installation/surveillance position, and now I once again am not able to connect P2P to my phone.

What is going on???

Should I just send these back and look into a competitors product?
cag

Post by cag »

I have been having this same issue for a few days now. I thought something went wrong on our connection. We kept trying different ways to reconnect P2P but nothing worked. Just tried again tonight. Port forwaed,is working but shows the device as offline. I'll try calling tech support but from all comments it sounds pointless. Hopefully there will be a resolution soon.
spgms

Post by spgms »

My system was working fine until this morning. I can see the camera via my computer hooked up to my local network, but the P2P on the app does't work. this is crazy frustrating as it has been working well for the last couple of weeks. :evil:
jeffee

Post by jeffee »

cag and pup , when you call tech support have them set it up with quickddns ,did this early sat. morning and it has worked flawlessly ! i have 2 cameras and within 5 seconds they connect. using only cell coverage.i had them do port forwarding friday night but when i rebooted my modem it would no longer work as my modem ip address changed. connecting thru quickddns solves the problem if your ip address changes. it took alex the tech support agent about 1hr. and 15mins to do this .he was haveing trouble getting one of my cameras to show it was online but kept dealing with it until it went online. been working great every since.parkinNJ was having same problem and had them do this as well and as he has stated solved his problem also. hope this helps !
btcamuser

Post by btcamuser »

Does anyone know when this issue will be fixed?
I'm having the same issue "failed to connect" today. I tried to reset the cam; re-add device and nothing work. I can view it on my desktop but not on the app. Thanks.
davidrfrench

Post by davidrfrench »

I spent around 4 hours last night trying to get the damn camera online. Nothing worked - P2P, Port Forwarding, etc. I must have gone through the setup / hard reset at least a dozen times.

This morning I plug it in and it works first time, using the settings from last attempt yesterday.

This all points to a problem with the P2P server at Amcrest's end. I don't know the full details but when the camera runs it connects to a server somewhere to report its identity, so that the mobile apps & AmcrestView can find it, and then access it directly through P2P. If this server isn't working for whatever reason, all of a sudden every Amcrest camera out there can't report its identity so nothing works (unless you can get the Port Forwarding to work properly and bypass this method of access).

On the one hand this gives me hope that I might one day have a properly working, reliable device, but on the other hand you wonder why they haven't been able to fix it properly since the beginning of the complaints many months ago.
ParkinNJ

Post by ParkinNJ »

I definitely feel your frustration. The first 2 times I called tech support, the reps said there were no issues with the P2P service and recommended I update the latest firmware, deactivate/activate P2P on the IP config tool, and manually reboot the cameras. Of course, that didn't work and after my 3rd call to tech support, Benjamin(?) acknowledged there was an issue and took down my camera serial numbers to see if the tech guys could fix it on the P2P server. He indicated the P2P service issue would be resolved in a couple of days, but that was last week. I planned on returning both my ProHD cameras until I read Jeffee's post and after the 4th call to tech support, my cameras were again accessible via cell service on my iPhone app (using port forwarding). To your point, I am no longer confident about Amcrest's P2P service and if the port forwarding didn't work, I would have easily returned the cameras out of sheer frustration.
davidrfrench wrote:I spent around 4 hours last night trying to get the damn camera online. Nothing worked - P2P, Port Forwarding, etc. I must have gone through the setup / hard reset at least a dozen times.

This morning I plug it in and it works first time, using the settings from last attempt yesterday.

This all points to a problem with the P2P server at Amcrest's end. I don't know the full details but when the camera runs it connects to a server somewhere to report its identity, so that the mobile apps & AmcrestView can find it, and then access it directly through P2P. If this server isn't working for whatever reason, all of a sudden every Amcrest camera out there can't report its identity so nothing works (unless you can get the Port Forwarding to work properly and bypass this method of access).

On the one hand this gives me hope that I might one day have a properly working, reliable device, but on the other hand you wonder why they haven't been able to fix it properly since the beginning of the complaints many months ago.
unhappy2

Post by unhappy2 »

I also called tech support, He was not to helpful, said they were having P2P server problems and try to connect tomorrow afternoon.
If this truly is a server problem. Why do we get a generic "failed to connect" message This message has caused me great frustration, I believed it was my set-up, I have tried all the suggestions in the forums and website. I usually call a help desk as a last resort. If the message was something like "server down" or "Amcrest is experiencing technical difficulties try again later"
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,

We have upgraded our P2P servers and it should work now. If any of you are still having issues, please hard reset the camera and try again.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

spgms

Post by spgms »

Melvin wrote:Hello,

We have upgraded our P2P servers and it should work now. If any of you are still having issues, please hard reset the camera and try again.
By hard reset do you mean reset to factory settings or something else?