Only single picture comes through on email alert

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
CallipygianToad

Only single picture comes through on email alert

Post by CallipygianToad »

email alerts configured on camera to send 5 snapshots yet only 1 snapshot is coming through.

assume email is properly configured as I am getting email alerts with an attachment, just not the quantity I expect.

I have tired setting it to 1 or 3 snapshots, and saving it, then moving back to 5 and saving it. no joy.

repeatable on all three IP4M-1051s

Would send all 5 pictures on old network 10.0.x.x but recently upgraded and changed network to 192.168.x.x

I have no tried a factory reset to default and really hope it wouldn't come to that

I'm at a loss. All help appreciated
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Only single picture comes through on email alert

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

Can I ask do you mean you upgraded a Router that uses the new Pool of addresses? Or you just did a change in your router to access the 192 range rather than the 10.? Persaonlly I have a few different routers and have them setup little different for different reasons. I use 10.x.x.x for most of mine with 2 setup for 192.168.1 and another 192.168.0 mainly for cameras that are setup on that range by default without the ability to access the camera over DHCP. I can connect to the right router to gain access to the cameras and then add them to my normal network.

I don't normally do any emails from the Cameras directly for 80% of my IP cameras. The few that I do is mainly because of the camera being AI and want a little bit of the camera based emails over my DVR/NVRs email. Also don't know what email service you are using. However if your camera is in a high Traffic area getting full 4mp camera snapshots in 5 at a time can fill up your monthly quota really fast. One of the reasons I like my DVRs to send snapshots over my NVRs or Ip Cameras because I can choose the size of image being sent. In the IP camera it is full size only.. My 1051 gets about 10 to 20 events a day. I have setup my camera to my email server on my 10. IP range for testing to start out, I will then move it to my 192. router to see if there is any difference.

if you made a Router Change and not just a IP range change it might be that your router CPU and Ram isn't as high as your other router and is causing the service to limit your image traffic? Like maybe there will be one or few that you will get more then 1 image where with higher traffic on your network it limits it to 1. Also after making the change in the camera from 1 3 or 5 images are you rebooting the camera? If you are not rebooting after making that change. I would do a Reboot of the camera..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So setting up in my 10.0.0.x and in my 192.168.0.x I get about the same results between the 2. I will admit that both of them setup with 5 images I have not got 5 images on either platform both of them are max 4. I do have my images setup for Quality 5. Maybe an area to look at is lowering your Quality to 3 for some testing to see if in your 192 if you can get your 5 images. Normally for me Email and Push is a place holder for me to playback from a time in my recorder or IP camera from a time that I get an alert. Maybe if I am not by the Live output or away from my phone to playback as the event is going on. Seeing most times the pictures are pre event unless they are setup in a pause between like 2 or 3 sec between each picture. However that is in truth way to much time in a fast moving area. I don't know where your 1051 is setup to capture images so hard to judge. 20fps and setup for 1s per image means every 20 frames is an image. So if setup for a 2s or 3 there is a lot of things that can be missing between. For best results Setting up a Push with your camera setup using P2P will give you a mini video playback in images. There is option for video but that time for event is longer where a image push is instant and notices come faster then an alert for an email. That image capture over p2P push could result in 20 images captured that again plays back like a mini video when you look at the event on your phone..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Left it on my 192, I was able to get some 5 images, out of the last 9 alerts only 4 had 5 images, the reset had only 4. It could be a Network congestion going on with my network. In this time I also turned on Push form my NVR. While I know this is little different because it is coming from an NVR. Testing 2 events back to back I was able to get both push notices before my email server registered the first event. When the email came in both events where there.
Be Safe.
CallipygianToad

Post by CallipygianToad »

Thanks for all the detailed information and the additional legwork you did on your own system to help.

I replaced my Xfinity provided Cabel modem/router with an Orbi 750 system. Each camera has a static IP address for both the RJ45 as well as the wifi (different IPs) I think I'll just hard wire one into the network for the testing to rule wifi out of the equation.

I'll play around with the capture settings to see if this helps with anything, you've given me a lot of ideas of what to play with.

My work environment doesn't really lend itself to always having my phone with me so email is the choice that is thrust upon me. This weekend I'll play around with the push notifications as a "proof of concept" and to see if that uncovers any other issues I may not have been aware of.

google doesn't seem to be throttling me in email quantity as I am still getting all the notification emails from the high traffic camera, it is just sending the one rather than 5 images. The single image that is coming through is only 32KB in size, so I don't think it is a message size throttle that I'm hitting.

It sounds like an NVR might just be the way to go anyway, as I'll get 24/7 recording. It swounds like I can set the NVR to send email alerts on motion detection? I imagine I should be able to access the NVR remotely via a web interface to view live feeds as well?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Couple of issues. Orbi, and Wifi it self can cause dropped frames or missing images. For best results sending images it would be best to use your camera on a wired connection. And or not an Orbi Router.. Last 8 emails all had 5 images for me. Issue is that Router only has 3 devices connected where normally there are more during the normal day hours. Also my 192 router for testing is a long range router on only 2.4. So not sure if you have your Orbi setup on 5 or 2.4. My 10. router was connected to the camera on 5. However the router is in a location that is semi shielded by Lathe. I did some testing in both when traffic was lower and was able to get 5 images. SO for me router issues with traffic and lathe in the ways for 5g and the distance of the other router for 2.4 is over 100 feet away but the line of sight is better because the wifi is going though door opening and glass window. Plus the 2.4 is a long range router by EnGenius. *it's old school outdoor router*
Be Safe.