NV4108E install

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
digitalbeachbum

Re: NV4108E install

Post by digitalbeachbum »

It's definitely the cable. It took me some time to test things out, but the one cable must be aluminum. I tried the scrape test, but it didn't show silverish colors underneath, so I tried the burn test, which didn't melt it either. I then tried a magnet, thinking it might be steel, but that was a negative too. So I'm sure it isn't solid copper because it was so inconsistent with allowing me to see video.

I took the few pieces of blue cable I had, the one you thought might be good, and it worked, so I was able to get a longer strand and test it, which also worked.

I've had to order a box of solid cable and will use it to install the cameras.

I'm glad I was also able to get all the firmware updates. They will allow me to finally setup the cameras.

Thanks for the help!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so I am not sure how the camera cable is run. However if it don't melt, or scrape, that isn't always the only issue. Could be damaged cable or bad ends. Could be any number of things. if the cable don't melt or scrape silver color then should be good cable.
Be Safe.
digitalbeachbum

So, I ran the blue cable. I had tested it and it worked fine with the other cameras (I had the one mounted at the door already).
I crimped the new connections and plugged it in, but it didn't work. I tested the cable with my tester and it was all correct.
I then took a different camera and put it on the same cable, and it then worked.
So I'm guessing that the other camera melted or something or it is a problem with the connector.
It was working fine and then I disconnected it to run the new cable, but after putting the new cable in, it didn't work.
I now have the front door covered with a different camera.
Just for giggles, I put the camera in question in the freezer for a little bit to see if it cools off.
digitalbeachbum

Well, that camera must have gotten fried. I've tried several times to get it to come back online, but it won't ever appear on the DVR list.
It's strange that it was working for several weeks using the yellow cable, but after I unplugged it, the camera never came back online.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It might be a bad POE Transformer in the camera. They can go bad and cause issues where a longer cable will not make the camera work. To test if the camera is really dead. Connect the camera to a known good 12v 2amp power supply and connect the camera to your Router rather then the NVR Camera Port.. 1 thing if the camera was setup to be Static you would have to setup a temp ip for your computer as 10.1.1.150 or something like that where you can connect to the camera so you can give it the right ip address in the local network range.. If it comes on via 12v 2amp power supply the camera is still good just something bad in side.. While i have a bad 25x PTZ cameras that used to work over POE it has since blown a chip and no longer will connect with POE. But still works on 12v. I really wish it was a Transformer on mine but was a 20pin SSOP chip that I can't find what it is so I can replace it lol. I will some day until then I just use on 12v..
Be Safe.
digitalbeachbum

I guess my other post didn't get put up, but here is a summary -

I ended up buying new cable that is supposed to be POE ready, 100% copper.
The one piece of blue cable, the DATALAN, and it has been working fine.

However, the camera that I installed initially has stopped working completely. In fact, it doesn't work with the blue cable now. I think it got fried. Strange that it was working fine, then I took it offline to install the DATALAN cable and when I plugged it back in, the camera wasn't working anymore. I even tried a smaller cable, thinking the shorter length would help but it seems to be completely fried. I'm guessing the heat?

I just got the new cable yesterday. I'm going to spend the weekend installing the other cameras and bringing them online. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off with the cable again.
digitalbeachbum

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 pm It might be a bad POE Transformer in the camera. They can go bad and cause issues where a longer cable will not make the camera work. To test if the camera is really dead. Connect the camera to a known good 12v 2amp power supply and connect the camera to your Router rather then the NVR Camera Port.. 1 thing if the camera was setup to be Static you would have to setup a temp ip for your computer as 10.1.1.150 or something like that where you can connect to the camera so you can give it the right ip address in the local network range.. If it comes on via 12v 2amp power supply the camera is still good just something bad in side.. While i have a bad 25x PTZ cameras that used to work over POE it has since blown a chip and no longer will connect with POE. But still works on 12v. I really wish it was a Transformer on mine but was a 20pin SSOP chip that I can't find what it is so I can replace it lol. I will some day until then I just use on 12v..
I'll try your suggestion out. I didn't see your post, it must have been the old cache, so ignore my other message.
I'll let you know how the suggestions work out for the camera. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So last year in Jan I was working on a camera that I removed a damaged Transformer and took a picture of it. This is a common part number however it isn't the only one that I have come across while making repairs of these types.. The under side picture you can see the center is black it should be the same color as the other 2 sides and because of the damaged part the POE of the camera would work but the camera data couldn't pass. I have had some that the damage was much worse then this and no data and no POE.. So it isn't always the same.. That is a common issue. However not always the problem with dead cameras.. In some cases the camera are cheap enough they are not worth repairing. However this camera was a PTZ AI camera and cost to repair over buying new required the repair..

I have another PTZ AI camera that is no longer working on POE, That camera is different damage and has a Dead POE chip. Without knowing what the chip is lucky for me I can still use it with 12v power for now until I can stumble on what the damged chip part number is. The number is burnt out and doing a search for POE chip with WS in the model number didn't yield any results so that repair is on hold. One of my older cameras from 2014 I had out of service for 6 months while I searched for the right part numbers. In both cases the cameras cost more the 1500 each so yeah repair is important. For me if the cost of the camera is under 100USD then I consider them consumables and will just buy another to replace it..
20230128_011453.jpg
20230128_011453.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 70 times
20230128_011656.jpg
20230128_011656.jpg (918.95 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

On another repair last year Feb or march. This is from a Dahua Zoom Ai Bullet camera that was just under 400 when new. You can see it is an older chip because the camera is older with a date code of 51 week of 2018 where the first pictures the part is from 10 week of 2020..
20230206_201342.jpg
20230206_201342.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 70 times
Be Safe.
digitalbeachbum

I hooked up the second camera. It's nice to have it come up so quickly, because of the real copper cable.