Not able to add IP camera to NVR or Access ONVIF

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Not able to add IP camera to NVR or Access ONVIF

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So had a friend reach out to me on Christmas day of all days lol. After a couple of seconds I found it wasn't to just Wish Merry Christmas. He wanted to know why he was having so much issue connecting couple of his cameras to his Amcrest NVR?

By the way fastest way is to just do a Reset back to factory before using the Dial a Friend Support lol..

Anyway after a little back and forth of what might be wrong I was able to make him understand that his issue was with his ONVIF user. Not all cameras offer this user and if yours does like his Dahua camera did then 1 of 2 things will happen. First one of his Dahua cameras we were able to get it changed in the ONVIF user management. Yet the second camera he was having issues with he wasn't able to remember the password that it used to be, Seeing it can't be Deleted and added back the next step was to Reset back to factory.

If you have ONVIF Config software where you can look at your devices, You will know if that is an issue because if you try to access the camera and it says the LOG IN is not correct yet you know that it is. Then look at changing the ONVIF user account info in the camera or DVR/NVR. Once you do this or Reset the camera you will notice the camera is able to load into ONVIF. Looking at mine even found a couple that I didn't change the ONVIF user. Knowing the password I made change and working as expected.

Just thought I would pass it along in case others might have same issue. Again not all cameras have a ONVIF user. Having ONVIF Device Manager is very helpful in many ways.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Re: Not able to add IP camera to NVR or Access ONVIF

Post by Pogo »

Isn't this technically just another way of establishing RTSP user/pass authentication (or no authentication required) of the camera (or DVR/NVR) whether it''s ONVIF or not?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry not sure I understand. So here is what I know.

ONVIF and RSTP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) are related but serve different purposes. ONVIF focuses on the standardizing communication between IP based security devices, ensuring compatibility. RTSP on the other hand, is a protocol for streaming Audio and Video over the internet.

While Onvif defines how devices should talk to each other, RTSP handels the streaming part. Some IP cameras that support ONVIF may also use RTSP for streaming video. In simple terms ONVIF helps devices understand each other and RTSP helps in smoothly showing the video stream from the devices.

RTSP is a protocol commonly used for real time streaming of audio and video. It don't have to necessarily involve the standards of ONVIF. Some devices or systems might rely solely on RTSP for streaming video, especially if they if they are designed for specific applications or proprietary systems. Onvif is more about standardizing communications and interoperability between different brands and types of IP based security devices.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Thanks for the response.

I will follow up with clarification to what I thought was a fairly simple question which essentially asked whether Dahua's 'ONVIF User' wasn't actually just another name for RTSP (or device) user authorization..., which it basically is.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry that isn't my understanding.. So in Short NO!

Onvif is a standard that defines how IP based security devices communicate with each other, ensuring interoperability between different manufactures devices. It covers aspects beyond just video streaming, such as device discovery, PTZ control and more...

RTSP, on the other hand is a protocol specifically designed for REAL TIME streaming of Audio an Video. It handels the delivery of the media stream but doesn't address the broader issues of device interoperability and communication.

User Authorization, which involves controlling access to the video streams or device settings, is a separate aspect that can be implemented independently of both ONVIF and RTSP. Both ONVIF and RTSP may have their own mechanisms for user Authentication and Authorization, However they serve different pruposes in the context of Video Surveillance systems.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

LOL Yes it is!

I totally understand everything you are conveying and generally agree. I was politely trying to correct the erroneous projection that ONVIF provides any type of user authentication whatsoever, which you still seem to think is an aspect somewhere within the ONVIF standards effort. It isn't.

That fact is, there is no such thing as an ONVIF User per se. Dahua can all it whatever they want, but it's just another name for a user authorized to access certain levels of device or process functionality, including RTSP streaming permissions on either end of a given RTSP transmission.

ONVIF functionality within such circumstances is obviously accessible as a result of the ancillary authentication process required to access the device or process, but it does not require authentication to function within an otherwise secure environment. It is simply a standard (or portion of) applied to a given environment, secure or not secure.

And contrary to RTSP being used on 'some IP cameras that support ONVIF', I think you would agree that it's actually the other way around with RTSP being the predominant method for IP camera video streams, again, whether they be ONVIF devices or not.

Not trying to be contentious or argumentative. Just attempting a degree of clarification for anyone else besides us who may actually read this. LOL
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Pogo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:36 pm Isn't this technically just another way of establishing RTSP user/pass authentication (or no authentication required) of the camera (or DVR/NVR) whether it''s ONVIF or not?
You asked a Question. I answered. While you might not like the Answer. Willing to read anything you might want to provide a link to that supports your beliefs.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also to dispel the idea of Dahua being ones using. This is from a Hikvision OEM PTZ camera
Screenshot (825).png
Screenshot (825).png (40.26 KiB) Viewed 19103 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Think of ONVIF as the Rules that help different devices (Cameras, DVR/NVR's Alarms) understand each other and play together. It covers things like talking, moving, and sharing. RTSP on the other hand, is like a specific road (Protocol) for the video to travel on.

So, they're not the same because ONVIF is about how devices should interact, and RTSP is about the path the Video takes. it's like having rules for playing and roads for driving. They work together but are different jobs.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also lost part of my post and don't want to type it out again lol. But here it is in Short..

ONVIF user Authentication
1, User Credentials.
2, Device Discovery.
3, Device Management Service.
4, User Authentication Request.
5, User Authentication Process.
6, Access Control.

By following the ONVIF specifications for user management and authentication, devices can ensure secure access to their features and services. It's important to note that the specific implementation details may vary slightly between ONVIF-Compliant devices, but they generally adhere to the standardized protocols defined by ONVIF.
Be Safe.