Not able to add IP camera to NVR or Access ONVIF

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Not able to add IP camera to NVR or Access ONVIF

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Can RTSP do this? Maybe this will help..
Screenshot (826).png
Screenshot (826).png (116.78 KiB) Viewed 18721 times
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Apples and oranges.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Sorry for the abrupt departure. Emergency kitchen plumbing duties took precedence of discussing ONVIF minutia. LOL

This link is probably the simplest and best general explanation of how ONVIF is implemented at the level we are all most familiar with. And while access control is clearly the prominent feature of Profile A, Profile S is the common profile used for typical ONVIF compliant IP security cameras and associated systems..., at least at our level. (One must also bear in mind that ONVIF standards apply to other types of IP security infrastructures beyond basic surveillance devices.)

User creation and access capabilities are intended to be handled by vendor specific mechanisms aside from any ONVIF capabilities and are indeed required for access to ONVIF capable devices in the first place. This is obviously how ONVIF Device Manager pulls ONVIF information from target devices -- by using an already existing admin level user account of the device. It simply sees and interacts with what is available from the target device once authentication to do so has been established.

https://www.pelco.com/blog/onvif-guide# ... F%20camera.

The RTSP relationship is also explained for those who may find additional clarification useful.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting. You might want to go look at the page you post the link of.. It is posted better then I could seeing I am not a pro Typer lol. However it says it in there under ONVF VS RTSP.. To break it down.. One is a Standard and other is a Protocol as I have said a good few times in this thread here..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:32 pm One is a Standard and other is a Protocol as I have said a good few times in this thread here..
A good once or twice. LOL

I know this. I have known this. I knew this when addressing your initial post in a subtle attempt to indicate such.

I've read the entire ONVIF Core Specification and basically understand the purpose, limits and requirements (both mandatory and optional) of all its active profiles.

It provides standardization in the communication between devices and end points that each conform to at least some of its available specifications.

In and of itself it does nothing else, including create users and/or authentication credentials. While Dahau (and others) may implement a security layer to access certain ONVIF functonality (PTZ configuration access, etc.), ONVIF otherwise requires no authorization or specific 'ONVIF User'. If so implemented as a vendor specific interface feature, it will likely be just another name (alias) for the administrative user which was my initial point.

One the other hand, and as a data transportation protocol, RTSP does require authenticated access in most cases unless specifically configured to provide anonymous access. This would be established automatically by the creation of administrative credentials for RTSP systems and devices. In the case of your initial post, perhaps indeed by the creation of 'ONVIF User'. Again, my initial point.

Apples and oranges that just happen to be in the same basket.

While I appreciate all your input, I think it may just be a 'forest for the trees' thing.

It isn't the first time we've debated semantics about something we actually agree on!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is ok, time to go work on one of my servers that says it is offline. As I said not my understanding and only going by what I have learned over the years. I am no expert on Anything. I guess I just don't understand and leave you with this.

RTSP itself does not inherently include mechanisms for user Authentication. RTSP is primarily forcused on the Delivery of audio and video streams and doesn't specify how access control or authentication should be handled. However the security of RTSP streams is often implemented at a higher layer, such as the application or device level. For Example, if you are using RTSP to stream video from an IP camera (Like we are), the camera itself may have its authentication mechanism. This means that when you try to access the RTSP stream, you might be prompted to enter a username and password to verify your identity.
In summary, while RTSP doesn't define authentication as part of its protocol, the devices or applications using RTSP may implement their own authentication mechanisms to secure access to the streams.

Time for some coffee and some tunes and rebuild some databases
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Not really an Analogy type person. While others that don't know me might say differently, I would say I am a Critical thinker and Theorist. Or as I was once described by someone many years ago "Analytical theorist"
Be Safe.