Need to force IP4M-1051B to use 5Ghz

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
davman

Need to force IP4M-1051B to use 5Ghz

Post by davman »

I have Netgear Orbi AX6000. I have 3 Amcrest IP4M-1-51B cameras. The Orbi supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz clients.
With the Orbi, unfortunately you cannot create separate SSIDs for the two spectrums. When I configure the IP Cameras, there isn't an option to specify to use 5Ghz only. Sometimes if I reconfigure a cam using the Ethernet cable, it will latch on to a 5Ghz radio and I great great response times. After a bit, the cams will flip over with no intervention to using the 2.4Ghz spectrum. When this occurs, I immediately start seeing packet loss. I'm not sure the logic for an IP cam to prefer 2.4Ghz spectrum as there is plenty of interference if you live anywhere near a populated area. I need to be able to force these Cameras to use the 5Ghz spectrum. Is there any even experimental firmware available to set this?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Need to force IP4M-1051B to use 5Ghz

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the forum

Maybe you will want to Join a Netgear forum if they have one and ask to see if they can add in a feature where the Orbi can be setup with a Table of devices that will work with 5g only. My guess is that your camera is set up to work in what ever option you choose for it. So if it was setup to work on 5g then it should work on 5g. When your Orbi goes 2.4 then it would cause the camera to loose connection and or the other way around. I don't own a Orbi and I don't know anything outside of people saying that it has 1 SSID and 1 password for both speed types.. I am not sure of any cameras outside of Netgear that would have the ability to use both 2.4 and 5g at the same time..

Outside of that most Routers are cheap enough I would look for a 5g router for your CCTV cameras if that is how you want to run Security cameras and use that router for the cameras and your Orbi for the rest of the home needs..

I would guess that there should be some way for Netgear to make a 5G Routing table within the setup and have it setup so users can go into the Routers GUI, advanced, (Speed Table) and choose what devices are connected to run at 5 g or 2.4 and maybe they could have 1 or 5 device ability but that would make a few people with like issue to yours little more happy and not blame the camera company for something it can't control..

I don't work for Amcrest so my statements are my own. But to be honest I think the Feature of the Orbi is DUMB anyway and I love Netgear Devices in general. Sharing a SSID for 2.4 and 5G is bad game
Be Safe.
jack7

Re: Need to force IP4M-1051B to use 5Ghz

Post by jack7 »

Here's a video that shows how to do it.  I don't have orbi. You could google the subject to learn more and check current status if interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgVG8rR5o8