My brand new 4K dome camera keeps switching from main to sub stream

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
noahw86

Re: My brand new 4K dome camera keeps switching from main to sub stream

Post by noahw86 »

so i just realized my amazon purchase history had the wrong model in it. that's where i got that IP5M-T1179EW model # from lol. i think they sent me the wrong one because the one i have is IP8M-2493E-V2

also, i greatly appreciate the explanation! i do think i will mainly use ASP for live viewing and browser for making config changes and stuff.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Just looked up that camera it has extra features that are lost with smart codec enabled. I might be wrong have to check later today on mine because when I turned on my smart codec my ivs went away once I put back to normal I had to re enable it. Also what is even more strange the data sheet for your camera says 264 and 265 max bit rate was 2048 so I looked up my 2496 and says for mine max is 8192 for 265 and 264 so wonder yours has typo or if by trying to run higher is the issue
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

The reason why it switches from main to substream is because the Java Web UI used is too slow and cannot handle H.265 with high resolution.  If the camera also has a plug-in Web UI available, it is faster and should work for mainstream.
H.265 does not cause the problem, the slow Java Web UI does.

I have an IP5M-T1179EW.  In the java Web UI settings, it has max resolution of 2592x1944 and max FPS of 20.  it does go to substream with those settings.  Mainstream does work on it with 720P resolution.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well not sure why your 5mp only works there in 720p I have my 1046EW-AI camera and few others that I have running in h.265 at 4mp and Yes I know you said yours was 5mp. I am wondering if when you said yours only works at 720p that it only offers 5mp or 720p? I mean I have turned on a few last night to H.265 for testing all of my cameras were only 4mp because only 5mp I have are BNC and I do use in H.265 but that is from my DVR not the camera.. I had them running since last night and none of them went to Sub. However I will admit they did all change to 2048 when I changed them to H.265 so I left it at that setting and none of them have had any issues. While all of them were still online in Main on my monitors the cameras did log out for access but that don't change the fact they are still displaying Live Streams.. Also thinking I might have a bigger issue then others because there is a large run from the Switch the cameras are running on to my main network switch (281 feet) and all going down 1 cat cable. So I thought for sure I would have issues just because of the bottle neck that could go on..

So then it comes down to my 8mp camera that does work in 5mp format as well. Again I did confirm that if Smart Codec is turned on it will disable the IVS rules of the camera (keep that in mind) However I did change to 5mp on my 2496EW-V2 camera, Turned on Smart Codec and h.265. again about 30 seconds later it went to Sub, However I then changed it to 4mp and it has been running along with the others I have had running in my Edge browser now for over an hour without it changing into sub channel and that is 5 cameras now I am running 3 in Edge and 2 in Chrome and they are all staying in Main Stream. If your camera is able to do more then just 5mp and 720p I would look at your network or maybe your bit rate is to high mine was setup at 2048 when I moved to that 4mp setting so I left there and again all of them going down 1 cable from 1 cisco switch to another, then to my HP switch before it makes it to my computer
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also wanted to be clear about something I said about ASP.. I changed my 8mp camera back to 8mp now running again as the OP was setup for 8mp, Smart Codec turned on and for my camera it did change to 4096 bit rate. I can run it on my ASP connection with all the other cameras that I had running again the 8mp is also running down that 1 cable from the 1 switch to the other. While using ASP it stays in 8mp, h.265 and smart codec without issues and again that has to be because ASP is made to work with the Amcrest Cameras.

So for OP I would personally use ASP for monitoring and WebUI for any configuration you can't make already in ASP because most of the settings can be changed in there using Device Config..
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also 1 last thing. While my 2496EW-V2 changing to Smart Codec and I am going to guess the OP camera that does offer the 2 IVS rules as well, will not function in Smart Codec Mode. Why this might matter? Well for others that have the 2493-v2 and or looking to buy it for the feature of IVS it will not be there in that mode.

However the 1046ew-AI camera and I am going to guess because it is a real AI not a camera like the v2's the IVS does work with Smart Codec turned on in h.265 without issue..
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

@Revo2Maxx
My IP5M-T1197E  set at h.265, 2688x1944(4M), and 2048kbps, switches to substream after about 10 sec. with Java UI.  It will not even playback a h.264 recording from SD card.   Playback starts, plays a little, then message says having problems, try ASP.  It does same on another cam model with Java UI. 
Java Web UI definitely has performance problems.  I do not have those problems with plug-in Web UIs elsewhere. 
Maybe PCs and cameras with high processor speeds could help Java Web UI.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I will agree with that.. After I seen your post I did some testing on 9 of my Machines. only 2 wouldn't playback and live stream in Chrome and Firefox in my Mint 2012 AMD machine with 8gb ram and R9-270x Video. The other was 2014 intel j1900 8gb ram no video card (use for FTP Servers) same issue with Win10 Edge and Chrome after about 10 sec of playback or Live things fail.. The other 7 I tested was my i7-7700x machines one with 16gb ram one with 32gb ram one with 1050Ti one with R9-270x, the i7-5820x with 1050TI 32gb ram and couple of older I3-32xx machines one with 12gb ram and one with 16gb and all of them played back footage and was able to live stream all using Windows 10, my older ROG i7-7700hq with GTX1050 Ubuntu and the last computer I tested was the one that I bought Dec 2021 to replace my Rog and is cheap HP 10300u with 16gb ram and GTX1650 Win11 played back and Live view from Chrome and Edge..
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well that is just crazy.. I normally log into my NVR or cameras if I need to set a preset from area outside of my monitor room with my Cell phone.. Wow my Cell phone is better at Video then my other 2 Computers that I listed. The main stream works fine form my S21 Ultra using Chrome. Didn't make any changes yet from when I tested the computers connection from the WebUI..

Also found my RTSP saved views for looking at the cameras live stream from Main no longer works either.. That might be something I can change in the settings however how they were setup it just does the Cone with orange bar going back and forth no load.. In case others that use RTSP that is reading this I thought was important to know..
Screenshot_20220523-213517_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220523-213517_Chrome.jpg (839.08 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Be Safe