Multiple Location Lag

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
slothadmin

Multiple Location Lag

Post by slothadmin »

Hi everyone!
I have cameras in multiple locations across the country. I am trying to view all of them in one location as a centralized home base. All of my amcrest cameras are connected via ethernet, so wireless issues would not be an issue for me (location problems, Wi-Fi interference). Most if not all of my cameras are still dramatically laggy when viewing. My internet speed for the locations are 1 gig down and 50 mbps up. At my central location I have the same statistics for my bandwidth.
My lag problems consist of some cameras are significantly behind (10-20 seconds), some jump over 2-5 second blips (one person is frozen holding a cup while sitting down, next frame they have completely left the room and I don't see the in-between)
I was curious if anyone has a set up like this, if they encountered this problem, and if it was fixed, how did you fix it?
Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Location Lag

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

I guess the question that remains is how are they connected? ASP? or some 3rd party app? are they over P2P or Port Forwarding? you say your connection is 1 gig and 50 up however that don't cover the speeds of the other locations...

Issues I run into every now and again when accessing my cameras Remotely is FPS and Bit rate issues.. Then I notice that I have not changed them from 30 to 22 and the Bit rate is lower then I normally like it. Once I make the changes to meet my needs my streams seem to even out and things look good for a while. Next time it acts up I Reboot the Routers at the remote location and once that has been done things work well for a good month or 2 until I over looked something and then I reboot machines and routers at times the issue goes away on its own the next day after a reboot that didn't change anything.. If I notice it is still lagging NOW i leave it be and it works out again this is after all things rebooted and I just guess it is a Distance issue with a network there or something outside of my own network.. My house on the rest coast I had issues back in 2018 with my NVR going offline for a week or 2. My son would go reboot the machine and it would work without issue for another 6 months. My son lives in the house now and changed out the NVR for a non POE nvr that seems to work better with no down time. The other night it looked like it was crashing but was caused by a power glitch and there is no power backup devices there. Once the machine rebooted it was back online.. Outside of that all my issues on a few different locations have been as I said before bit rate and FPS settings..
Be Safe.
slothadmin

Post by slothadmin »

I appreciate your reply, to answer your questions, all of my locations, and home base included, have the same speed. I connect to them via port forwarding. I will also take a look at what you suggested (bit rate, FPS settins), and be prepared to reboot my devices as needed. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

In a Multi Port forwarding system things can get little harder to pinpoint an issue. There are a lot of things that can happen between your connection and the other where your cameras are connected.. Also the hardest part of of a Port Forwarding system is that it most cases is less secure then P2P or a Tunnel system that is because in order for things to stay running the ports punched though have to stay open and can slow your system down when someone finds your ports and tries to exploit your network..

Personally I would try to setup your system to work with P2P and Test it over what you have now.. Thing about P2P from what I found anyway is that it is faster and connection is stable more often then not.. Only thing that could happen is that the Server listening to Pings and waiting for hand off could go down and service would have to wait for it's return.. Hard to explain really but it also has less HOPS to jump though then a Forwarding port design.. Some time before maybe 2 years now I used to use Port Forwarding and even a Tunnel system. I have since changed and now I only use P2P and Direct connection if at the local network of the system... I have had little to no loss of service of my P2P connection.

Just keep in mind that P2P works with Amcrest View Pro and for Desktop ASP (Amcrest Servalince Pro) outside of that I personally wouldn't use 3rd part software for making a connection this would give them the SN and password to your devices with ASP it is Amcrest Product so password is already in the products being used.. The software don't store your password unless you were to use the amcrestview dot com then that is different and that could be an option as well..
Be Safe.