Multiple Amcrest cams went offline with same error at same time today?!?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
cds333

Multiple Amcrest cams went offline with same error at same time today?!?

Post by cds333 »

Cameras in question are P5M-T1179EW-28MM. I have multiple BI systems setup using these same cameras and no problems until today. All cameras are on a closed network with a dedicated router and only the one BI webserver port allowed in. UPnP is off of course.

Around 16:00 three cameras go offline a few minutes apart. They give the "no signal" error in BI; won't respond to restart.

Upon http access they present the standard Amcrest login screen, minus the "IP Camera Web Access" text above the credential fields, and the password field populates in plaintext. The login button does nothing however (just in case this is an evil portal I try an incorrect password). My next suspicion is that a service in the camera went down and it can no longer do any back end javascript.

amcrest.png
amcrest.png (104.61 KiB) Viewed 708 times

So changing the credentials in BI results in the error message changing from the "no signal" screen to the "invalid username/password" screen, so the camera is clearly still online, and communicating with BI, just not with all services running.

The fact that all three went offline a few minutes apart would lead me to believe it was a firmware issue related to a communication problem with their C&C servers, however I'm pretty sure they are all running the same FW and the other five cameras did not go offline.

I was able to restore the feeds by checking "Use RTP/UDP ports" in the BI advanced options, and picking some random port number, so I got the feed back anyway, however the http UI still won't allow me to login.

I can't do a hard reboot at this time fyi.

Eventually I was able to login to only one of the three via the http page, and only once, and I was greeted with the usual looking live screen but now it is asking me to download a chrome extension in order to view the live feed, as if this is some grey market HikVision camera from ten years ago using an IE-only activeX plugin! This extension however appears to be a legit one from Amcrest. I did not download it.

Questions:

WTF is going on here? I have been running these cameras for over a year elsewhere with no such issues, then three go down from a weird firmware glitch within minutes of each other?

Do these cameras have some default mode that their webserver switches to if HTML5 is not working or something? That's why it asked me to download an extension to view live video when it knows damn well an extension is not supposed to be needed?

And why was I able to restore my feeds by picking a random RTP/UDP port in BI advanced settings? AFAIK the only UDP port setting in the camera config is 37778. Why can I tell BI to use 37772 and I get my feed back? Do these cameras keep all incoming ports open just in case someone needs to use RTP/UDP?

Thanks in advance! Help much appreciated!
jack7

Re: Multiple Amcrest cams went offline with same error at same time today?!?

Post by jack7 »

You wrote:
"Do these cameras have some default mode that their webserver switches to if HTML5 is not working or something? That's why it asked me to download an extension to view live video when it knows damn well an extension is not supposed to be needed?"

Amcrest/Dahua cameras I use that have a Java Web UI also have a plugin Web UI.
A way to test it easily is to load Edge browser with IP address. You should get Java Web UI.  Log out, go to Edge settings icon at top right and click Reload in Internet Explorer Mode.  Then log in Web UI, load plugin, and then you should have a plugin Web UI. 
cds333

Post by cds333 »

So now it has happened to all the cameras, at two completely different locations. The one thing I did at both locations was set all the cameras to use the default NTP time server and automatically adjust for DST. I did this two days ago.
patric

Post by patric »

FWIW there seems to be some issue with Daylight Saving Time that the firmware doesnt play well with.
https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 4-s30.html