Moving Camera to Different Wifi Network at Rental Home

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
kcbriggs

Moving Camera to Different Wifi Network at Rental Home

Post by kcbriggs »

I have an Amcrest 4MP Ultra IP4M-1051W on my home wifi network. I need to move it to a different wifi network at a vacation rental home. I have the new network SSID and password and would like to preserve all the email configs that I programed in the camera. Is there a way to configure the new network information ahead of time so the camera will come online when I arrive at the rental home? Or is there a way to access the camera on the new network and configure it while preserving the email configs.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Moving Camera to Different Wifi Network at Rental Home

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

So the best thing you can do is use a Cable when you get there, Connect to the Local Network there over cable, Then log in to the camera using that IP over the cable, Then you will want to click Setup, Then Network, Then Wifi, Then do a Search (should start one auto) just incase it don't click the search. Once you find the SSID you want to use, Click that SSID and it will ask you for the password. Then it should show you that it is Connected. This don't mean your running on it at that time. When you are done Reboot the Camera, Remove cable and let it load back on the Wifi, THen double check that the Camera can be accessed.

Might want to make an extra step of adding a Static IP.. Also if your system as a Static IP setup for wireless then you will want to change that first to DCHP before making your Wifi SSID change...

Log into the camera WebUI, then setup, network, TCP/IP, Then you will see a drop down box next to Wired change that to Wireless then in there it will have Static or DHCP make sure before doing the Wifi setup you have it changed over to DCHP, However once you have made that change in the new SSID then go back and change to Static IP input a IP address that you want within that networks Range save and then reboot and remove cable and it will or should be after it starts be connected to the Wifi..

If you want I can make a Video showing the steps and will keep all your current settings besides the network info.. Also Remember sorry if you have cable setup for Static you will want to make sure it is also setup for DHCP..

PS.. Also if you have 2019 or newer FW installed you will be able to access the camera from Cell phone browser or a Laptop or desktop will be needed..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kcbriggs

Post by kcbriggs »

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure if I will be able to access the network or router with a cable. And I'm a little confused on the steps if I can. So, I would very much appreciate a video of the steps needed. Is there a method I can use if I can't access the network with a cable?

I will have a smartphone and Windows laptop if that helps.

Thanks very much. And I do have the most recent firmware.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok not having access to the router might prove little harder however it can be done. There are a few things that you will want to do and I will try to lay them out step by step of how I would do this..

First not all Laptops have and if your don't this could prove yet even harder.. What you want is a Laptop that has an Ethernet port. Before you go on Vacation you will want to make a couple adjustments in your laptop and camera.

Make a Static IP setup for your Ethernet connection in your camera. I would make it 10.2.2.100 and make your computers Ethernet port static as well and make it 10.2.2.101.

Then when you get to your Rental, you will want to take your computer and a short cable and connect your camera to power and Ethernet cable from your laptop to your camera. Then log into the ip address for your camera you made. Then go to setup, then network, then in the TCP/IP make sure that your wireless area is setup for DHCP. Then on left of the network area is wifi, click that and then enable wifi if it wasn't already enabled if it was click Search SSID. Find the one you want click it then a box will pop up and enter the password for the SSID. ONce it is connected you can do double check what the IP is (Your still on wired connection as well so your connection will still work at this point.. Once you know the cameras IP you can logout of the camera webUI. Remove cable from camera and laptop. Now connect your laptop to the wifi of the rental.. Once you get on the wifi log into the cameras webUI and make sure you can access the camera and if your wanting to use P2P make sure that the cameras P2P is active. if not the rental might have block on IP cameras network traffic..

So if you look at my Pictures.. My normal connection for my network is 10.0.0.xxx I have setup camera to use 10.8.23.128 and my computer will be 10.8.23.119 and you can see in the pictures that I make a connection on my camera at a wifi ip address of 10.0.0.141. I then turn off wifi from the setup network area. I then connect back at the 10.8.23.128 ip address via cable from my computer to my camera then in the last 2 pictures you can see where I am asked to put in password for ssid I want to connect camera back to. then it shows that it is connected in the last picture..

Connected on Wifi showing what my IP for my camera cable connection is going to be
Screenshot (2376).png
Screenshot (2376).png (118.18 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Picture showing that the camera is on wireless connection as ip states
Screenshot (2377).png
Screenshot (2377).png (117.38 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Showing connected on 10.x.x.x address with no wireless connection
Screenshot (2378).png
Screenshot (2378).png (109.79 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Picture showing when I pick the wifi I want being asked for password for wifi ssid
Screenshot (2379).png
Screenshot (2379).png (133.64 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Picture showing that it has connected to the SSID I wanted
Screenshot (2380).png
Screenshot (2380).png (125.76 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

You can right click and open image in new tab to see a clear full image of my pictures..
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Alright did a fast video and it is unlisted so will need to Follow the link..

What I did was made a connection to one of my other routers. I then made the change to the one I wanted. First time I entered the pass wrong lol did search again and second time worked. Might have not had a good connection seeing it was from old search. Anyway it shows making the change and then removing the cable from the camera inserting it into switch for computer and then shows the connection to the camera on the wired connection was no longer good and made a connection on the wifi..

If that didn't explain enough please let me know and I will try to make it better and in more detail.

https://youtu.be/F5Kdr31cpi8
Be Safe
kcbriggs

Post by kcbriggs »

Thank you very much for your assistance. I was able to successfully use your process with my laptop with Ethernet port. Thanks Again!!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Your welcome I am glad to hear it worked out for you.

Be safe
Be Safe
kcbriggs

Post by kcbriggs »

Hello,

You were so kind to help me last year, I was hoping you can help me solve a more challenging version of the same problem.

Last year, I had a laptop that had an ethernet port and I was able to successfully get my camera on the rental home's network and preserve all my settings for email alerts etc. Using your instructions, I cabled the laptop to the camera and successfully configured the camera with the rental home's SSID. The camera worked great while I was there.

This year, work gave me a new laptop that does not have an ethernet port and has a VPN installed. Testing it at home, it looks like I can print locally and access my cameras that have static IPs on a 192 network. However, the laptop is locked down to a point where it doesn't allow me to run the Amcrest IPconfig program. If I change the camera from static to DHCP, and boot it up at the rental home, how can I identify its address so I can access the camera via web browser and configure the rental home's SSID? Again, I'm trying to preserve all the settings for email and alerts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the camera on the rental home's wireless network without resetting it and losing its configuration?

A secondary problem is that I cannot access my cameras via a web browser on my iphone. I tried Safari and Chrome and the camera has updated firmware. I thought I could use my phone if the laptop didn't work out.

Thanks in advance!!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I would double check that your Phone is connected to your local Network. I use my phone all the time to access my local network Cameras, DVR/NVR's all the time. It is best thing to do when your using AVP and move a PTZ camera to a spot and not able to save a Preset on the App so I use my cell to set the preset. Faster then going to the house to set one and some of my cameras have home after so long so I have to log in to setup preset before the camera returns to home..

So to be honest there is a lot going on with a setup where you don't have total access to your connection device.. So here is what I would try to do.. IF you know the SSID and password to the other Router. I would make changes to your router that you have now. Like not always something that can be done but I would look in your router and see if you have an ability to make a new ssid while keeping the one you have. Like some of mine have the ability to make 5 different SSID.. This way it keeps your other wifi devices on your normal SSID and your cameras that you will be moving to the SSID and password like they have moved..

So lets say that your system was setup like this.

SSID MainACCESS1 password
SSID RentalACCESS and Password.

Then you would make your cameras setup to the RentalACCESS and Password setup and also have it setup with DHCP seeing you are not sure what the Rental will have for Open IPs. I mean if you knew that you would have access to 10.2.1.120 to 10.2.1.130 then you could setup your cameras to be within that range.. However without knowing that it is best to setup the Wifi (Wireless) part of the camera to just be on DHCP. Then you know it will have a good Ip when the camera is plugged in and comes online to the SSID and password..
Be Safe