Moving Camera to Different Wifi Network at Rental Home

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
kcbriggs

Re: Moving Camera to Different Wifi Network at Rental Home

Post by kcbriggs »

That sounds like a great idea, but my router doesn't have that capability. On the other hand, I was able to run the web access utility on my iphone so I can access setup and configure the rental home's SSID. When I power up the camera at the rental home, will it obtain an IP even with my home SSID configured? It's setup as DHCP. If so, how do I find the IP address that is assigned so I can run the web access tool on my phone? I can't run the IPconfig tool on my work laptop because it's locked down, but I can run arp -a to find all IP addresses. There shouldn't be many. Still struggling to see how this comes together.

Thanks in advance again.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

OK,

So not able to setup SSID and Password before the change might be a hard target. Maybe if you have a Second Router that could be setup as a backup with the SSID of the rental.

The issue you will have is not having the ability to have the camera know the SSID and Password for it to connect to. If you don't have an Ethernet port for access to the camera to make changes then it will be very hard for the camera to even start an access setup for the Wifi..

I am not sure when you are going to be going to your Rental, But in truth I would look into buying even a used in working order Router that you can setup with your Rental Data info for SSID and Password. You are not going to be using this at the Rental but you will want to setup at your home/office to have the same info about your rental unit. If I remember last time you had the SSID and Password for the rental. So knowing that before hand will have you the ability to setup. Once you setup on your camera and it connects with the SSID and Password, You can pull the power and take the trip to the Rental. Once you turn it back on it will just log back online just like it went off connecting to the SSID and password. Then it will give IP as long as you also setup for DHCP before packing it..

I would look on Ebay. TP-Link is a good router. I would get maybe a C50 or C7 that some list as a A7 anyway they are not that costly and are very good and easy to setup.. Some I am sure you could find for less the 25 shipped.. maybe even much less then that..

Once you get the Router, you would connect it to your system and Log into it. Then within the settings you would be able to change the SSID to fit your needs and password.. Then once it is done as I said you will then the day your packing, connect the cameras SSID to the backup router that is setup with DHCP, and SSID and Password that was going to be used at the rental. Once you connect, you can pack the cameras. Once at the rental, you unpack plug in and it should gain access to the SSID and password as you setup for. IT will give that camera an ip and the time it is doing that you are connecting your computer. Once it has done that you can do a arp -a and get the IP's that are loaded looking for the Mac Addresses for the cameras. 9c:8e:cd is normally the first 6 of Amcrest devices.. Older ones might have 3c or 4c for the first numbers pair..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kcbriggs

Post by kcbriggs »

Thanks for all your assistance. I picked up a GLInet GL-AR750S-EXT Slate travel router. I thought using the travel router gives me a lot more flexibility especially when staying in hotels or rentals that force a portal authentication. I configured the camera to connect to the travel router using the SSID and password for the rental house and configured the travel router to access my home network SSID for the internet connectivity. Testing proved positive as I could access the travel camera as well as my other home cameras via the Amcrest app. To simulate packing for the trip, I then powered of the travel camera, waited 10 minutes, and powered back on. The first time it connected to the travel router as you described. But on the second test, the camera re-connected to my home wifi and not the travel router. I guess the camera caches the recent wifi networks and credentials, not sure. Is there a way to have the camera "forget" networks similar to my iphone or remove the home network SSID information? Or perhaps, I won't have the problem at the rental home because my home network won't be visible.