motion detection vs headlights

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Hotrod53

motion detection vs headlights

Post by Hotrod53 »

I've got my motion zones set up facing the road in front of my house and in my garage. Even though I have zones blocked for motion, the light that floods over into the detection zones will trip the motion detector. For instance, any change in light coming through my garage door windows sets it off, even though those windows are masked. Anyone driving down the street whose headlights splash into my yard, sets the detection off. What is the proper setting to try and eliminate this, is it that minimum setting that make that box in setup lighter or darker? Forgive me for the yahoo description, I'm at work and don't have access to the Amcrest setup from here.
Private

Re: motion detection vs headlights

Post by Private »

I have the same problem and would also like to know
longedge
Site Admin

Re: motion detection vs headlights

Post by longedge »

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's the light falling on areas which are included in your detection area rather than the windows or light source that is causing the detections.

If you can't put up curtains thick enough to exclude the light then you're left with a trade off between settings that will give false positives and ones which cut those out but risk missing true movement.

It's something that I've struggled with and never found a satisfactory answer so I err on the side of caution and put up with the false detections. The levels at which you set sensitivity and threshold vary from one setting to another but I've settled on sensitivity at 90 and threshold at 10 for one of my cameras whereas the other one is best at 75 and 15. You just have to keep experimenting until you find the sweet spot :)
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03