Motion Detect -- Day and Night

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jimrileysfarm

Motion Detect -- Day and Night

Post by jimrileysfarm »

I've installed about 15 Amcrest cameras and I think I have the sensitivity/threshold settings down on most of them, but I've noticed that some cameras seem to be situated in places where nighttime bugs and dust trigger motion detect every five minutes or so.

Is there a way to assign different sensitivity settings at night?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Motion Detect -- Day and Night

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

To be honest there is no way to fix this and most cases is why some people setup full time recording at night and motion at day time. Then there are others that go as far as using a IR Blaster if you have to use your cameras in B/W at night. If you are able to run your cameras at night in Color either by adding extra white light some counties have laws against this, They call it Light Pollution. If your in an area where you can have lights on I would setup cameras to work in color and use white lights to fill in areas that are little dark for the cameras fov...

The thing with IR Blaster and or White light blasters is they are not on the camera and can help keep the bugs, rain, snow and other things out of the cameras view that causes close reflections and this causing motion alerts when you don't want them.. Just need to make sure they are pointing in the area of View or your Region of Interest for your recording needs.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
jimrileysfarm

Post by jimrileysfarm »

Thanks for the help! It's a rural farm setting with a lot of land and a few entrances that I want to monitor with email notifications or email-to-text. Question: suppose a camera becomes the overnight target for a spider building a web and it starts to generate motion detection alerts over and over again. I know that you can delay the time between notifications but is there any way to, say, "turn off alerts if more than x are generated in y minutes?"
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

For something like that you would be better off with a Motion Sensor setup and if your NVR is like any of the few of mine with Alarm in and out then you could connect them to your Recorders. Outside of that there are some cameras that have alarms in and out that can help with things as well. But everywhere I have CCTV systems it is to Humid and rain or snows more then any CCTV can keep up with. So best to use sensors that was designed to work with cars and people. If you want to know about animals then no need to get ones that will or can reject them.
Be Safe
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

Hi jimrileysfarm,
Sorry to jump. I also have a rural building and I have same question about night time bugs and dust. I have tried many sensitivity and threshold settings through my NV4018E-HS NVR. I can set them low enough so that the bugs and dust don't trigger MD, but at those settings, a person walking, 4-wheelers or cars will not trip MD.
Revo2Maxx,
My NVR or cameras do not have alarm inputs, so using a motion sensor will not work. Please explain more about how to setup full time recording at night and motion during day. Is the Storage - Schedule - Record Schedule the setting you suggest changing?
RecordSchedule.JPG
RecordSchedule.JPG (21.42 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
I not then what setting(s) are you suggesting?
If that is the setting, then how to automatically adjust the MD start/stop time for dusk to dawn?

I have two cameras looking at the same area (driveway). Is there a way to setup the NVR to send a notification/e-mail only when motion is detected by both cameras within a certain amount of time (like a person walking or vehicle moving into both cameras FOV)?
That would eliminate a bug/spider but maybe not dust.

Thank you,
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

To be a little more clear, the two cameras are looking at the driveway from different angles.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes so in the picture that you have there, That will give you full time recording and motion detection at day time. So for what I was saying if saving space was something that was important then in your times you want motion remove the Full time Recording and the times you want full time but not motion then remove the motion like in your picture it will have motion events from 630ish until 630ish pm to be honest full time would be best for most camera locations to make sure something isn't missed outside the cameras motion detection area. Also good to have full time on if your cameras have Mics because things could be caught on Audio that might have been missed if only Motion record is on..
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

To get rid of the false detections, you really need some kind of AI capability that detects object types. 
There are Amcrest cameras with AI available. Revo2Maxx has discussed that in this forum.
I use a Camect hub with AI that works with almost any IP camera. 
Blue Iris with Deepstack on a PC is another option.
jakthree

Post by jakthree »

I understand that Storage - Schedule - Record Schedule configures the NVR to record Regular (full) and MD to the hard drive based upon the selected times.
Does Regular mean the HD is recording everything the stream from the camera of everything the camera is seeing?
Does MD mean the HD is only recording during a MD event?
If yes, then when playing back MD events, how much time of the event will be played back? Does MD playback 10-20 seconds before event, the event and some amount of time after the event?

What is the purpose of Event - Video Detect - Arm/Disarm Period and how does this setting effect MD?
ArmDisarm.PNG
ArmDisarm.PNG (5.07 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Does the setting control when MD events are monitored?
If yes, then based upon the above picture, will MD events be ignored between 0-4:59 and 19:00-23:59?
Does that mean that e-mails and notifications will not be sent while ignored?

Thank you,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So as mentioned AI is a good way to go, Just make sure to research what your buying and that it meets your needs. I will admit that I did buy a different brand DVR for my different brand TVI cameras before I bought my 7108-AI Dvr from Amcrest. While it offers Line Crossing and Intrusion it is really just slight better then normal Motion Detection. Where the Amcrest AI hardware (NVR and DVR) is much better then the Other brand. In truth if I would have waited 6 Months before upgrading I could have bought better hardware from Amcrest.. 2 things that Amcrest offers that my other unit don't have is 1 can't pick AI Results, So if you want Human only it will only do alerts on the line crossing that is human. Or Vehicles and or both.
However even without that you have the ability to pick a Detection object size and my other brand don't off either of them options and get a lot of false alerts still if I use the Intrusion or Line Crossing options.. Not an issue on the Amcrest units.
Now I have used my Amcrest DVR with Line Crossing and Intrusion and it offers the same built in options. However one thing that I like about the DVR over the Amcrest NVR is the SMD option. This is really Motion Detection on Steroids' The thing is you setup motion detection, then go to SMD, turn on human or Vehicle and that is all that will set off the alerts..

Now only down side to my DVR is that I bought the 7108-AI thinking that 7fps over 15fps for what was listed was for all cameras connected like what I have on my older DVR systems. However after buying and getting the DVR that is only for 4k cameras all my cameras work at 30 and 20fps on the DVR because I don't have anything over 5mp for it. Had I known then what i know now I would have bought the 5116-AI. Another thing is while my 7108 is an 8 ch I can turn it into a 16ch IP only recorder. Only down side of doing this all AI options are removed when you do. So I use it purely in Analog and Face Detection and Recognition on the DVR works well but you can't use SMD and IVS and or Face Detection at the same time..

About the IP AI cameras where are many now to choose from. I have a few only 1 is from Amcrest some of my others are almost 10 years old. However the one from Amcrest is about 400% better quality then most of my others still in use. Only reason the older ones are still in use is they were about 10 X the cost and might not work well at night the day time and zoom options keep them in play.. My Amcrest AI camera See Picture Below, is Color at night (White led) they are off in this picture. That picture is from access on ASP that you can DL or free from Amcrest and it can show you the rules of the AI cameras and you can still use it on an older NVR just the Rules and IVS record ports won't work unless it is paired with AI NVR like the one I have the Amcrest 4216E-AI 16port Poe NVR. However using it with an older NVR like 4116e-HS or 4108e-HS or 2116-HS and many others it can still work and I have used it with my older NVR's. What I do is I also have a Micro SD card installed and all the IVS and things like that will be or can be found saved to the mSD card and full record on the NVR is how I had it setup.
1046EW-AI.jpg
1046EW-AI.jpg (827.67 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Be Safe