Looking for a better choice for weather application

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
newfoundlakeweather

Looking for a better choice for weather application

Post by newfoundlakeweather »

So I went live with my IP5M-B1186EW-28MM on my weather page intended to give everyone a view of the weather. www.newfoundlakeweather.com

Although I am very happy with the clarity of the pictures (compared to old camera with 1/4 the resolution) I am bothered by the fisheye distortion of the image. Old camera image attached for reference.

I am wondering what cameras you offer which will take a picture with less or no fisheye in a weather station application rather than a security application.
Attachments
Amcrest image
Amcrest image
newfound21120513300700.jpg (307.65 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Old camera image
Old camera image
oldnewfound21120413000000.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a better choice for weather application

Post by Revo2Maxx »

To be honest it is hard to tell. First I would look at the different settings that your camera may offer by logging into the camera, going to the Camera, Encode and see if the camera can drop down to a 4mp or 3mp. Some can some can't so I don't know that camera and the ability. I know that my POS 5mp camera has the ability to drop to 4 and 2mp. Some cameras offer this and others don't I am going to guess that the Amcrest one will and might be better suited in a different format
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
patgreen

Post by patgreen »

If you aim the new camera lower, the fisheye effect will be much less noticeable. (I realize you want to see more of the sky, but aiming it up is what makes the fisheye stand out.)
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I agree with patgreen. There's a helpful table that shows how field of view relates to lens focal length here https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables. It's a Catch-22 really, you want to see as much of the scene as possible and the wider the field of view of the lens, the more pronounced the 'fish eye' gets :roll:

Comparing the edges of your two images it's clear that your new camera has got a wider field of view.

Is it possible to raise the camera position perhaps to an upstairs window, that might help. This video https://youtu.be/_ISOI4M6URk is from my first floor bedroom window with the camera pointing fairly low. There is still some 'fish eye' effect but not too obvious.

p.s. I envy you your view :)

p.p.s. May I ask how you change the unique filename of the ftp'd image to a static one when you upload to your web space.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
newfoundlakeweather

Post by newfoundlakeweather »

I posted this knowing I had bought the wrong camera. What I was hoping for was someone from Amcrest (since this is an Amcrest forum) could recommend a better model for me to buy so as to get a picture without fisheye in the weather station application I am using it. I don't need a wider view if the penalty is fisheye. So what Amcrest camera would be the best solution for my use.

To some of the questions/suggestions.

The camera is mounted in a position approved by the condo association and cannot be moved.

Aiming the camera down would defeat the purpose of the image...weather watcher.

I don't need a wider view than I had with the old camera, though slightly wider with no fisheye would be an acceptable solution. Again, I'm guessing there is an Amcrest camera which can do it I just don't know which model. I have already tried 3 Amcrest cameras so I was hoping to be pointed to an Amcrest camera model which would do what I am looking for so I don't have to buy, install, reject, return, repeat.

Unique file name was not a problem, I am a software developer so I wrote some php code which runs on my GoDaddy web server as a cron job. It takes the Amcrest ftp file directory and file naming convention, copies the file to the same directory my old camera wrote the files to with the same naming convention as the old camera so that my slide show logic and image managment need not change, then removes the Amcrest ftp jpg file and directories. Good starting point can be found in git. Contact me through www.newfoundlakeweather.com info e-mail link let me know we chatted here.

Thanks for the comments, still looking for Amcrest knowledgeable rep to chime in with any suggestions.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

It's not a real answer but you might be able to improve things using your existing camera in two ways. Firstly by levelling it up, it's about 5° off and secondly by zooming in as the 'fish eye' effect is more pronounced when comparing the edges of the frame with the centre. The far surface of the lake acts as a good reference.
compare.jpg
compare.jpg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 458 times
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Personally I would check to see what the Image looks like as I said in my Post before. Change the Encoding down to 4mp. 5mp cameras have Elongated picture. While I understand getting the Sky is what is wanted it might move the FOV forward enough within the Sensor that it takes the Round edges out of the Pictures view. What is worse can happen don't like the look and move back to 5mp there is no cost and no time waiting for another camera to show up. I have some very cheap 5mp TVI cameras and if they can go from 5mp to 4mp and 1080p then I couldn't see any reason these Amcrest Cameras don't offer the same option. All of my other Amcrest IP cameras offer some sort of change.

If you are using ASP it is very easy and only takes a second. Load ASP, Click on Device Cfg, click on the camera, Then click on Camera Encode in the main area, then in the main stream on the left side click the Drop down box for Resolution and see what the options are change to one you want press save. Then click Live view and click the camera and make sure it is in full screen and check that it has changed to the Encoding type you setup for. If you like it no other camera needed.

If you don't have ASP or NVR Then using WebUI log into camera, then click on Setup, Video, Main Stream, Click on the Resolution drop box for options make your choice and save. Then check Live View for picture check..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe