Lightning ground strike fried my POE NVR and cameras

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
BIGDOG101101

Lightning ground strike fried my POE NVR and cameras

Post by BIGDOG101101 »

HELP!
A recent ground lighting strike next to my home zapped my POE NVR and seven POE cameras.
So far I know the NVR will not put out video (it still has power), but I'm not sure if the POE cameras are fried.
I own an Amcrest single POE injector to run tests. I have one camera connected and routing it into my network. I was able to find the IP address. I thought I could find it using Amcrest Surveillance Pro or Amcrest IP Config tool, but so far no luck.
Any suggestions on how I configure a test WITHOUT removing the cameras? (they are up high)
The IR lights are set to always be off, so that wouldn't work.
I would like to test one camera BEFORE I do a factory reset on the NVR.
Any and all suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance for your help
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Lightning ground strike fried my POE NVR and cameras

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Not sure what NVR your working with so I will try and give some info about what I would do with any of my NVR's that I own, 4108, 4108E, 4108E-HS, 2116-HS, 3108-4p-S1, 4216E-AI and all the POE ones seems to work the same by default for me anyway.. So here is what I would do

Go into the All Settings and then network menu, then on the left side click on Ethernet, then on the right side click on Change Adaptor Options, then right click and go to Properties, then click on Internet Protocol V4, then click Properties, then make note of your IP if you don't have it setup for Static, you will want to do that now, set the option to use this IP and put the IP of the computer so it will use that IP every time it starts. If you don't know the IP of your computer right now Look Below to the *
Don't forget to add in your Default Gateway that is your Router IP, and the Subnet that is normally 255.255.255.0
Ok, Now that you have setup your IP address for your computer you are going to want to click on the Internet Protocol v4 again as it most likely took you back to that window, click on that and then Properties again, this time just above the OK button is Advanced click that, Then Click on Add and in there you will want to add the IP address 10.1.1.41 I am just using the 41 as a number but for me I keep all my extra IPs in the same last number so I know what and who in my logs.. so in my case for this computer it would be 119.. Anyway the subnet is again 255.255.255.0 and click ok.. Keep in mind that I have a lot of IP's added to my computers and I only have my 1 gateway and that is setup for my main routers gateway so no need for adding more then your normal... So here is some things I am going to assume and please just make the numbers for your main computer IP as your computer is setup I just going to show what it would look like as a whole..

Router, 10.23.1.1
Computer 10.23.1.41
Computer Second IP 10.1.1.41 <- this IP is off what all my POE NVR's load up from factory as the POE gateway is normally 10.1.1.1 and gives out IP's normally starting at 65 and up... So that was why I started with 41 and also because in this example your computers normal IP ends in 41..

Then having this number setup in your IP list as a Second IP, change the IP config Tool search IP's by clicking on the COG (Gear looking Icon) and put in the 10.1.1.1 starting and it should auto set the last to 254, put in your user and the password in the program and click search while you have your camera connected to your POE Injector.. Now something to note here, In general if you didn't change your Cameras to work in Static and they were left in DHCP when you connect to your Injector it should have changed to your normal network range.. However if they were setup for static then it should find the IP after making the change outlined in this.. adding the second IP in your static listing and the IP config looking in the right range even though I can do just the normal search with the 192.168.1.1 in my setup and it will still find all my cameras in the range of IP's I have setup in my static POOL inmy computer..

So my IP's are listed as 192.168.1.119, 192.168.0.119, 10.0.0.119, 10.1.1.119, 10.23.1.119, 10.1.23.119 and that is only to list a few that I can remember off the top of my head.. When I do a Search with say my POE cameras connected to my Switch for working on or testing or what not if I do a search any of them on my normal network POE Switch will list in my IP config tool...

*Press the Windows key and R, type cmd, then press enter, this will bring you to a C prompt, type in ipconfig and that will give you your computer IP address
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
bryeartem

Re: Lightning ground strike fried my POE NVR and cameras

Post by bryeartem »

I also recently had a lightning strike that knocked out my cameras/NVR… for me in order to get them back up I ended up realizing in the network settings that the network test was not working.. at the time I noticed I still had alternate DNS servers… switching back to auto and two reboots of the nvr later (one was full power cord removal and waiting about a minute) and everything came back.. needless to say a whole house surge protector is on the way… I also had a netgear 16port switch which lost 8 ports… unplugging that for a little bit brought back 4 of the 8 that were lost..