IP8M-VD2893EW-AI - Issues with API being inconsistent

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
madasus1

IP8M-VD2893EW-AI - Issues with API being inconsistent

Post by madasus1 »

Hello,

I purchased one of these models (IP8M-VD2893EW-AI) about 6 months ago and it has worked fine. I purchased another one two months ago and the API appears to respond differently for the two models. I initially noticed the problem as I was unable to add the second camera to Synology Surveillance Station (I have 16 other Amcrest cameras of various models that work fine). When adding to Synology SS I was able to preview the stream but when I save (which causes the Synology to push settings changes) it just gives an error.

After trying to factory reset, upgrade firmware, downgrade firmware, etc I did a packet capture and took a look at the connection between SS and the camera. I saw that the API calls to configure settings were returning with errors.

Here is one of the calls that SS makes to the camera

http://ip/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?act ... ontrol=VBR

If I run this call against the first camera I purchased earlier in 2022 i get "OK" as a response.

On the second camera I get

"
Error
Bad Request!
"

I am testing this now in a browser to avoid any other software and rule out any other vendor being the issue. I can confirm the issue is on the Amcrest side.

I confirmed that the models of cameras are identical and so is the firmware. I would expect the same response from both. I factory reset both cameras and re-tested and I still get OK from the first camera and Error from the second.

Support were not helpful and suggested I did an RMA. In this case I returned it to Amazon and purchased another one from Amcrest. The second one arrived with the same problem. I went back to support and they told me I had another bad camera. I RMA'd the camera and just received another one which still has the same error.

I sent support screenshots, logs and other information but I'm not able to talk to a developer or an engineer who actually understands the problem. I'm just talking to a rep who doesn't seem to understand.

Short of returning this for a refund does anyone have any thoughts? anyone seen this before?

M
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: IP8M-VD2893EW-AI - Issues with API being inconsistent

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Personally I can't say what the issue is. What I would do seeing that you have the same Camera is make some screen Captures of each of the cameras Settings and look at them side by side.

What I would also make sure not to do is make changes in the one that is working at this time only make changes in the one that isn't..

While VBR over CBR can make better images for me in all my systems I run a CBR format as I don't have to worry about changes as much.. Something very minor can be at play and personally don't think there is an issue with camera. However if they came off the same Lot Line then maybe there was an issue.

Something to try. Do a FW update even if only to the same FW that is in use, Then do a Factory Reset of the Camera, then try your 3rd party changes after setting the camera up new and fresh. Even being new from factory there could be issues at play from FW setup..

Check if the Smart Codec is on the one camera and not the other, or check all settings using the working one as a Guide...

Just some ideas...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
madasus1

Post by madasus1 »

Revo2Maxx,

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately this API calls appears to be a simple call from SS to configure some settings. It doesn't matter what settings I use as the camera rejects them. I don't have a preference on VBR or CBR but the response is the same.

As stated - I have factory reset everyone and updated/downgraded firmware and it makes no difference. I wonder if Amcrest replaced the ROM on these newer devices and it broke the API

Graham
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

run this

10.0.0.72/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo

using http normal like you would any other command, also using your cameras IP address. You will get info about the camera that might clear up if they have a different Chip..

Here is some not all but some of the data from one of my 8mp cameras..

appAutoStart=true
deviceType=IP8M-2496E-V2
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=SSC328Q
serialNumber=
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also just so I was clear before..

If you look at these 2 settings and while I didn't change anything to save and only making the change from Codec type to on from off changed to the data that is in the second picture..

It might be that there was setting changed in the 1 camera that was not in the other and why one camera will take the SS command and other one won't just some ideas as I personally don't know why it would work for one and not the other...
Screenshot (3106).png
Screenshot (3106).png (126.98 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Screenshot (3107).png
Screenshot (3107).png (126.32 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Be Safe
madasus1

Post by madasus1 »

The get call works fine.

appAutoStart=true
deviceType=IP8M-VD2893E-AI
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=SSC339
serialNumber=XXX
updateSerial=IPC-XXX
updateSerialCloudUpgrade=IPC-XXXX

Also - I can factory reset both cameras and not change any settings and the call works on one and not the other. So it doesn't appear to be state dependant.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So did both of them return the same SoC? And hardware version?
Be Safe
madasus1

Post by madasus1 »

identical yes.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hate to ask as I don't know and don't have camera or use what your using to test my self.

if you took the one working offline, and Removed the one that was not work from the system, Then tried to add it back in running to your SS alone does that one that hasn't been working work in that fashion or does it still fail to move into a working setup?

Are you running h.265 or h.264?
Be Safe
madasus1

Post by madasus1 »

That was a good idea. I deleted the working camera and re-added it without issue. Then repeated the same steps for the new camera and the error came back.

I also tried creating the camera pointing to the old camera, then changing the IP to the new camera. I also got the error back

I'm using h.264 but i tried h.265 as well with the same result.