IP8M - 2496 EB - Changing the RJ45 Connector?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Joeb

IP8M - 2496 EB - Changing the RJ45 Connector?

Post by Joeb »

Hi, The RJ45 connector has broken a connecting wire. I don't know how to take the camera apart so I can change out the connector and cable. I have not found any videos on the internet. Thanks, Joe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: IP8M - 2496 EB - Changing the RJ45 Connector?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello Joe, Welcome to the Forum

So you have the normal 2496eb or the 2496eb-V2? Either way it should be the same. However I have the v2 myself and would be willing to make a Video if it was easier that way.

Keep in mind that it is hard at times to understand what and why something works as they do in the cameras. Like why 8 pins when only need 4 of them and then why is there 6 wires and so on. That is because there is some standards that are different and the connections are connected in the RJ45 connector. What is important to remember is there are 4 wires that are most important 1,2,3,6. So I can't remember right now without going and taking down my v2 but does it have a door on bottom? That area you might be able to get access to the wires that are coming in. not always but some of the cameras I have I can open trap door and disconnect the wiring for testing.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so I took my camera down to take a look at mine. as I said mine is a V2 so it could be the same or different. Looking at the bottom there is only a small area with reset button in plastic cutout and the Micro SD slot that is also in the plastic. So my guess is that yours is also that way at least. Then the hardest part about this camera is that unlike some of my other cameras this one has the front plastic tapped to the front where there is 4 screws that will need to be removed to access the inside of the camera. Look at the picture below. If you need more help I can dig deeper at this point I have it apart but not done any of the tone work for the Ethernet connector. If it don't need to be done I don't want to waste my time..
20230328_200611_resized.jpg
20230328_200611_resized.jpg (693.96 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Be Safe
Joeb

Post by Joeb »

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I believe that this is not a V2. Mine also has the cutout with the reset button. I do not understand how to get the front cover off. I tried prying with a screwdriver but to no avail hoping that it was taped in a way I could pull it off. I have attached a pic of the front of the camera. Just not sure where to go with it. Thanks, Joe
Attachments
20230329_095935.jpg
20230329_095935.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 225 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes sorry yours and mine are not the same...

So yours should then have a slot at the top it could be a dual slot on right and left top side and or could also be at the bottom. There are some out there that are also slide in from front to the Micro SD slot where it is screwed into the bottom area.

If you have a Removable Sun shield remove that with the 2 screw at the top. Then there might be 2 holes that are thin but wide-ish taking a driver and pushing into the slot not to rough should pop out the front. However looking at your picture it almost looks like a different type that slides into the Micro SD slot area and has 2 screws that holds it in. I say this because your front piece looks like much larger plastic cover and to be honest could be even a different one then that..

Another type. Looking at the back of the camera is there an area with 4 screw holes in the back? These normally would be in the corners, Then there are a few different ways they would be there. 1 way would be deep in hole with the holes exposed and the other way is with some rubber plugs that would need to be removed from the back area using a Pick being careful not to damage them. Once pulled it would expose some screws. Removing the front and it could if there is no seam on the front at all remove the back then some screws inside would then slide front out..

There are many different ways to take cameras apart. It is odd that your 2496 and my V2 are not at least built the same. From looks yours is different in many ways. Mine only has 2 IR leds on the bottom and the camera don't have a LDR and uses the camera to turn on and off the IR lights where yours uses the little blue Photoresistor.

Need a top and back picture with sun shade removed if you have one connected
Be Safe
Joeb

Post by Joeb »

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed assistance. However, I cannot find any of the various disassembly screws you mention. This is getting kind of interesting. I am curious to find the answer and pics are included below. I did order another camera as I need to get one in service but am still dedicated to trying to find out how to take this one apart.

Thanks,
Joe
20230331_075605.jpg
20230331_075605.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 213 times
20230331_075615.jpg
20230331_075615.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 213 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

What about that last picture in the cut out are facing from back looking forward not sure. Need to see picture from back where mount is connected if screws are not in area of last picture
Be Safe
Joeb

Post by Joeb »

Tis tricky. Guess I will take the back hanger off, or see if I can and maybe that will do something. Probably not. Pics attached. Thanks, Joe
20230403_080407.jpg
20230403_080407.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 200 times
20230403_080403.jpg
20230403_080403.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 200 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

In the top of the last 2 pictures what is behind your Thumb going toward the front lens. There is a Grove area on both sides in the area that a screw would normally be attached. IT might be that the system is connected by 2 screws in that area and something held with the bottom access off if there was no screws inside the access hole. WOW it is like they didn't ever want this camera to come apart. Odd really seeing if I had the camera I would take it apart every year or every other year to replace the Gel Packs in side. Geez I would have maybe destroyed this camera looking for the way in too. Looking at the bottom of the camera it is flat so no way for screw under there on the sides. So that is why I think the bottom might be tied to the access door. I do have one that is connected that way it isn't an Amcrest camera and I can't remember what one it is right now to go take it down for pictures.

The mount on the back is for mounting the camera they wouldn't tie into that as the holder between there and the front wouldn't let the cameras PCB or camera for that matter to be in the case..
Be Safe
Joeb

Post by Joeb »

Hi,

Funny enough, I did break it trying to get it apart. Cracked the plastic over the lens. I finally just tried a screwdriver and hammer to get it apart. Nada. So I am beginning to think this was just not meant to come apart. I have thrown it away so I no longer need to look at it.

Thank you for all your replies and ideas. Very good of you.

Joe