IP5M-B1186EB-28MM wiring harness

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
YetAnotherDave

IP5M-B1186EB-28MM wiring harness

Post by YetAnotherDave »

IP5M-B1186EB-28MM wiring harness or IP5M-B1186EW-28MM wiring harness

One of my cameras failed because water infiltrated the RJ45 connector on the camera harness. Likely a user error (i.e. my mistake) when tightening the water proof shield (left a gap). The connector shows signs of "smoke release", cleaned it out with a Q-tip, pins in socket are clean. Jumper cable from camera to main ethernet cable tests BAD pins 5&6 test as "shorted".. (was working for 3 months). Main ethernet cable tests GOOD. POE is present. Tried a new/good jumper cable to camera, no joy in reviving camera.

I brought the camera inside to let it warm-up and dry-out for a few days.

If the indoor dry-out does not bring the camera back to life, it looks like I have 2 choices:
1. try replacing the RJ-45 socket on the camera wiring harness with an RJ-45 plug, add an outdoor/water-proof coupler.
2. buy a replacement camera

Is it possible to replace the external wiring harness?

Has anyone else made this error? Anyone smoked the socket and managed to revive the camera?

Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: IP5M-B1186EB-28MM wiring harness

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Don't own the camera so I can't really say. If I had to guess the camera is bad. How do I come to this idea? Well in theory all cameras from Amcrest only require 4 pins of a 8 pin Cat cable. 1,2,3, and 6. I have used 1 cable to power 2 POE cameras

So what you see as shorted I would have to guess that is by design or just a internal mess either way I have a camera that has Dead Data. POE still works, IR still comes on but camera don't talk anymore and my guess is that the data chip in the camera is bad. No magic smoke needed to fry a POE camera on POE power just bad cables (CCA) should never be used for POE and any cable that has 30v on it should be avoided as well..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave »

Good news!! (for me) after ~18 hours of "drying" time, I plugged-in the camera. It WORKS!! Just like a Timex: “It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.”

It was 45degreesF when I brought it inside yesterday. 22F now. I'll reinstall it when the weather cooperates again. This time I'll be very careful when sealing the waterproof connector.

Full disclosure: There is a small gasket that should be installed on the "camera side" of the twist-on connector. I had incorrectly installed it on the "cable side". I have another camera in a similar outdoor full exposure location, that I installed months earlier. The gasket is installed correctly. No water/leak issues with that camera. As usual, user-error, self-inflicted. :D
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Glad to hear your camera is ok. Guess I don't understand what you meant in your first post. Most times with the Magic smoke there is something fried, then you talk about shorts in 5 and 6 pins and just a lot going on.

More then happy to trade you my -4f for your 22f lol

About water and water proof boots, In theory installing a camera with the connection in right direction works as well. At times these boots give people a since of security and never check them again. Come to find out they didn't have in a secure location, cracked, lost or old bushing and it don't seal, if the cable is in down direction water don't travel up without force. Sometimes it is safer without a boot all together. seal at top bad, seal at bottom good water in no way out bad for connector
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave »

I measured the "short" with my Pockethernet tester. Previously good, 12 inch patch cable, now shows "short" on 5 and 6.
The "smoke" / arc occurred inside the waterproof socket. The socket was "blackened", but I was able to remove the carbon with a Q-tip.

The high today was a sunny 25F, so I've put the camera back where it belongs. It's working so far.

I expect that having the gasket in the right place will make a big difference. ;-)
The was a IP5M-B1186EW (White) camera, that I spray painted black. You can see that some paint flecked off of the cables. The EB (Black) version is out of stock.

[url][https://imgur.com/a/dDHAd9O]
YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave »

The end of the patch cable that was plugged into the water connector on the camera had visible damage to match the socket damage.
All this fix cost was a new patch cable. It could have been worse. ;-)