IP3M-941B how to ensure 5ghz wifi?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
kronultimate

IP3M-941B how to ensure 5ghz wifi?

Post by kronultimate »

As the title says, how can I force connection to 5ghz wifi? I'm running a ubiquiti AP setup with 3 APs dual band, same SSID both bands so devices can normally hop onto whatever is strongest/fastest.

I find that my "dual band" wifi cameras were initially on 5ghz, so I was happy, but then when I check again later they're on 2.4ghz. And now I'm not apparently able to get them to re-join on 5ghz. But other devices are connecting fine on 5ghz, it's working normally for phones and laptops etc.

Any ideas? My goal is simply to minimize 2.4ghz traffic as channels 1,6,11 are already swamped and filthy and drop packets all over the place, whereas 5ghz works quite well and with 3 APs, signal strength on 5ghz isn't an issue in my house.

Thanks.
longedge
Site Admin

Re: IP3M-941B how to ensure 5ghz wifi?

Post by longedge »

I'm not familiar with Ubiquiti equipment but since you say you have both bands on the same SSID, it implies that the system, like mine is capable of running 2.4GHz and 5GHz traffic on separate SSID's. I don't think that there is any other way that you can achieve what you want to do. It's how I've got my router set up and it works well for me with only two devices (iPhone and iPad) that I use in areas where only 2.4GHz can reach. They happily look after themselves and switch between the two SSIDs as appropriate.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
RayClem

Post by RayClem »

Since both frequencies are using the same SSID, the router will pick whichever frequency it thinks is best. That is why I assign a different SSID to 2.2 GHz and 5.0 GHz. That way, I can choose the frequency I believe if best for each device connection.

You can usually use the same password for both SSIDs, so that helps.
ScottW1

Post by ScottW1 »

Method 1: Use different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 bands. Configure the camera to use the 5g SSID. (Best solution.)

Method 2: Most routers and access points support a "MAC Reject" filter for each band. Configure the MAC reject filter to reject your cams on the 2.4g channel, so they can only connect to the 5g channel.